Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

Names for new space stations -speculation

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Names for new space stations -speculation
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:37 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Howdy all,

I think I've mentioned this before but don't recall or know what the forum consensus determined, not that RFC will ever take that into account. ;)

While I'm fairly confident that their predecessors will be memorialized, ie one of each new pair will be named #2 etc, the remaining three have tickled my wonder button.

I suspect or won't be surprised if the other in Manticore orbit is named Haven, to celebrate the peace and new relationship, even if they eventually get into another war [which could happen after this generation of leaders passes on], while Sphinx's second is named Beowulf, and Gryphon's is Grayson, for obvious reasons.

I don't think any will be named after individual persons, especially living ones, and those worthy would oppose commemorating themselves this way when so many unknown heroes were lost in OB.

Now there may be internal avenues or plaza's named after Pritchart, or HA-H, etc but not the whole space station, although probably lots of plaques commemorating the known lost heroes of OB.

Any counter-arguments or other suggestions?

All the very best wishes to all,

L
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Re: Names for new space stations -speculation
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I like Unity, the name can be used in each system. Informally referred to in speaking as Haven-U. Manticore-U. Grayson-U, etc.

lyonheart wrote:...while Sphinx's second is named Beowulf, and Gryphon's is Grayson, for obvious reasons.

That could be rather confusing. Especially in a frantic piece of communications during war.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:30 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

The original 3 stations were named after the Western Gods of the forge. What if the station replacements were named after the men who eventually replaced the Gods in modern mythology - the Titans of Industry. Names like Ford, Remington, Colt, Browning, Edison, Krupp, Watt, Carnigie, Kaiser, etc

Or maybe Cities of Industry: Detroit, Pittsburg, Birmingham, etc.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I think the name should somehow reflect the result of the cause. The GA was the result of Mesan terrorism. As well as the reason we find ourselves contemplating new names.

The symbol that rose from the ashes was a union—a GA. Hence, Unity.

Unity could also serve as a reminder of what it stands for, in the future when war between the two may find itself creeping into human nature again.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:11 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

How about Babylon 1, Babylon 2, etc.? :mrgreen:
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:27 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Each station has a purpose. The names should reflect that purpose first and foremost. The Gods of the forge should not be abandoned. Inventors should be honored. I don't think industry itself should be a focus, so no cities or industrialists.

The orbital factories should be named for the essential elements of creativity, the creators themselves.
Post by filbert   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:59 pm

filbert
Lieutenant Commander

HMSS Yawata Crossing

HMSS Tanners Port

HMSS Black Rock Clan

("never forget")
Post by saber964   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:09 pm

saber964
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Each station has a purpose. The names should reflect that purpose first and foremost. The Gods of the forge should not be abandoned. Inventors should be honored. I don't think industry itself should be a focus, so no cities or industrialists.

The orbital factories should be named for the essential elements of creativity, the creators themselves.

Something like Bushnell, Hunley, Lake and Holland
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:52 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi TheEmile,

I did point out that the original names would preserved and commemorated by the first of each pair, but the second Sphinx might memorialize the Yawata strike or the Black Rock Clan, with Gryphon getting the other; while Manticore's might be named for the yet unknown Beowulf city that's destroyed by the SLN's inept attack that's soon to come, although I think Haven will have powerful popular and private support.

L

Theemile wrote:The original 3 stations were named after the Western Gods of the forge. What if the station replacements were named after the men who eventually replaced the Gods in modern mythology - the Titans of Industry. Names like Ford, Remington, Colt, Browning, Edison, Krupp, Watt, Carnigie, Kaiser, etc

Or maybe Cities of Industry: Detroit, Pittsburg, Birmingham, etc.
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:53 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi MaxxQ,

Very funny, thanks for making me smile. :D

L

MaxxQ wrote:How about Babylon 1, Babylon 2, etc.? :mrgreen:

Return to Honorverse