Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

Oh, what the heck . . .

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Oh, what the heck . . .
Post by kzt   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:43 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I think that Talbot, Grayson, and Manticore had SD yards. Many other members had yards capable of light construction. But the build capability of Manticore was hugely more than the rest.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:47 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Talbot? Is there text for this? Or perhaps you can point me to David's comments to this effect. If I missed this somehow, I'd like to know.

kzt wrote:I think that Talbot, Grayson, and Manticore had SD yards. Many other members had yards capable of light construction. But the build capability of Manticore was hugely more than the rest.
Post by Korgano   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:45 pm

Korgano
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I dont think Talbot had capital ships capabilities, up until Grayson start producing them Manticore was the sole provider of capitals. I think to remember that the closest thing to capitals other systems could do was a "couple dozen" battlecruisers a year and it was Erewhon
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:49 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Grendlesbane comes to mind but that was destroyed and never rebuilt.

Korgano wrote:I dont think Talbot had capital ships capabilities, up until Grayson start producing them Manticore was the sole provider of capitals. I think to remember that the closest thing to capitals other systems could do was a "couple dozen" battlecruisers a year and it was Erewhon
Post by kzt   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:17 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Talbot? Is there text for this? Or perhaps you can point me to David's comments to this effect. If I missed this somehow, I'd like to know.

kzt wrote:I think that Talbot, Grayson, and Manticore had SD yards. Many other members had yards capable of light construction. But the build capability of Manticore was hugely more than the rest.

Yes.

FiE, Chapter 1 High Admiral Wesley talking to the Protector

"Second, the Alliance will get its industry fully cranked up. The Manties are already there. They had eighteen of the wall under construction in the Star Kingdom itself from prewar programs; those units are now proceeding on a crash priority basis to commission over the next six months, and their new war program will start delivering additional units within ten months. Our own yards will complete our first home-built SD about the same time, and the Manty yards in Grendelsbane and Talbot will do the same. Once we hit our stride, we'll be turning out four or five of the wall a month."
Last edited by kzt on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:28 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

So, White Haven spoke of Talbot yard's ability to produce SDs while visiting Blackbird naval yards? Do you recall what book that was in?

If this is so, then they must have started transferring tech to Talbot just after the Quadrant voted to join the Empire.
Post by kzt   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:38 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:So, White Haven spoke of Talbot yard's ability to produce SDs while visiting Blackbird naval yards? Do you recall what book that was in?

If this is so, then they must have started transferring tech to Talbot just after the Quadrant voted to join the Empire.

No, one T. The one that various scenes in SVW are set in. Their mysterious disappearance is one of the bigger background holes. Which isn't all the big a deal, but it was kind of confusing.

David also has a character named Talbot.

I can't find the White Haven scene, I may be confused with the FiE scene.
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:24 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:
PeterZ wrote:So, White Haven spoke of Talbot yard's ability to produce SDs while visiting Blackbird naval yards? Do you recall what book that was in?

No, one T. The one that various scenes in SVW are set in. Their mysterious disappearance is one of the bigger background holes. Which isn't all the big a deal, but it was kind of confusing.

David also has a character named Talbot.

I can't find the White Haven scene, I may be confused with the FiE scene.

I think the span of years between books had RFC forgetting that he already had a place named Talbot involved. Clearly, it was not the Quadrant back then.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Talbot? Is there text for this? Or perhaps you can point me to David's comments to this effect. If I missed this somehow, I'd like to know.

Grayson had construction in the 1907/1908 range, and both Grayson and Talbot did have SD capability. Alizon and Zanzibar's yards never got to construction levels until Alizon's did in the 2nd war. We don't have textev of any other planets having their own shipyards, but we know all the planets I listed bought their fleets from Manticore. David was quite adament about Manticore's Allies not being able to assist greatly in the rebuild effort or being able to build more ships after Manticore and Grayson list their shipyards.

Peter, Talbot (one "t") was an original alliance member located between Hancock and Havenite space, with zero relation to the Talbott (2 ts) which gave name to the quadrant. It had an SD build yard, but the Manty government never updated it to "Buttercup" level tech (Ghost Rider, SD(p), etc.). Before the 2nd war, Haven took advantage of the rift the horrible foreign policies the High Ridge government was driving between the alliance members, and got Talbot to sit out the 2nd war.

We got David to tell us this during a discussion of the effects of Oyster Bay and the what rebuilding resources were available to them.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:55 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Makes sense. Talbot was even closer to the border than Grendelsbane. I was thinking it got creamed during Thunderbolt along with Grendelsbane.
Theemile wrote:

Grayson had construction in the 1907/1908 range, and both Grayson and Talbot did have SD capability. Alizon and Zanzibar's yards never got to construction levels until Alizon's did in the 2nd war. We don't have textev of any other planets having their own shipyards, but we know all the planets I listed bought their fleets from Manticore. David was quite adament about Manticore's Allies not being able to assist greatly in the rebuild effort or being able to build more ships after Manticore and Grayson list their shipyards.

Peter, Talbot (one "t") was an original alliance member located between Hancock and Havenite space, with zero relation to the Talbott (2 ts) which gave name to the quadrant. It had an SD build yard, but the Manty government never updated it to "Buttercup" level tech (Ghost Rider, SD(p), etc.). Before the 2nd war, Haven took advantage of the rift the horrible foreign policies the High Ridge government was driving between the alliance members, and got Talbot to sit out the 2nd war.

We got David to tell us this during a discussion of the effects of Oyster Bay and the what rebuilding resources were available to them.

Return to Honorverse