Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 38 guests

Prolong and Actuaries

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Prolong and Actuaries
Post by saber964   » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:26 pm

saber964
Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:The whole issue is complex. First of all, it seems clear that people will be working far longer. Living to 200 and stopping work at 80 when you are in good health is ridiculous.

So I would guess pensions would be more like defined contribution things where you pay in certain money and it grows, you hope, rather than a defined pension.

The Civil War issue is a bit of a fake for now. A lot of old civil war vets married very young women for the usual variety of reasons. A lot of the Civil War vets were teens when they fought and some took very young brides when they were old. It was a way of taking care of friends' daughters. And those women lived for a very long time.

I would guess that things like that don't exist on Manticore. Most people seem to work. New limbs are grown. There has been no mention of cancer, stroke or Alzheimer's.

So people work. Taxes are very simple based on textev. Terekhov mused that it took almost no time. Chances are the government did not have a major social system of dependent people.

There might not be ANY life insurance companies as we know them.

There's no mention of Alzheimer's but strokes, yes. Dimitri Young died of one, after hearing Pavel conviction. He was also morbidly obese and spent twenty plus years in a life support chair. Prolong dose not save you from a lifetime of self abuse and over indulgence. Cancer was conquered in the fourth century with a vaccine. Also Cancer dose crop up on planets with poor health care services like pre-Alliance Grayson and several of the verge systems where OFS and trans-stellers overcharge by 4-5-600% of its actual cost.

My guess is the SKM/SEM doesn't tolerate welfare loafers per say, they will assist but not totally support a refugee. Remember the Sisters of Barbara in Ruthless. After selling off Aaron's Rod they were all given a stake and some of the women were consultants to ONI and SIS. All of the women were probably given a remedial education and were probably supported by the government during that time period. Judith probably also assisted the Sisters. Diana who was to old for prolong, was probably hired by Judith as a nanny for Ruth.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:36 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

No. The SEM's solution is more elegant. They let their citizens indulge in their generosity and even support the needy via the public purse. Then they take away the privilege of voting from net recipients of public transfer payments. You can either take public assistance or vote, not both.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:No. The SEM's solution is more elegant. They let their citizens indulge in their generosity and even support the needy via the public purse. Then they take away the privilege of voting from net recipients of public transfer payments. You can either take public assistance or vote, not both.

Ah, yes. Pay one dollar more in taxes than you receive in assistance and you can vote.

No vote, no control of the government
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by munroburton   » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:51 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
PeterZ wrote:No. The SEM's solution is more elegant. They let their citizens indulge in their generosity and even support the needy via the public purse. Then they take away the privilege of voting from net recipients of public transfer payments. You can either take public assistance or vote, not both.

Ah, yes. Pay one dollar more in taxes than you receive in assistance and you can vote.

No vote, no control of the government

I wonder how Manticore's peers are subjected to that provision. After all, they don't get a vote in Commons elections anyway.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:30 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:I wonder how Manticore's peers are subjected to that provision. After all, they don't get a vote in Commons elections anyway.

Who says they can't vote? They can't be elected to a seat in the commons, but I haven't seen anything that implies their only voice is a vote in the Lords.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by munroburton   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:26 am

munroburton
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
munroburton wrote:I wonder how Manticore's peers are subjected to that provision. After all, they don't get a vote in Commons elections anyway.

Who says they can't vote? They can't be elected to a seat in the commons, but I haven't seen anything that implies their only voice is a vote in the Lords.

I could have sworn there was a scene where Honor stayed at home during a general election after her elevation to the peerage. Made a comment, possibly internally, about "feeling strange/wrong to not be voting."

I can't locate it with searches of the ebooks, though.
Post by saber964   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:25 am

saber964
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Yes peers can vote for their own representatives. It's like U.S. Senators voting for their congressman and vice versa if they happen to live in the representatives district. IIRC Cathy Montange ran for her own MP's seat.

Return to Honorverse