Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 35 guests

Little things i never noticed: Shadow of Saganami

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Little things i never noticed: Shadow of Saganami
Post by Lunan   » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

When Fitzgerald goes to monica in the purloined solly ship

He uses the Name "Captian Teach" as in Edward Teach the pirate.

and the LT on the shuttle is "Lt Kidd" another well known pirate

gave me a nice little amused snort when i noticed it during my relisten to the sereis.

so tell me my friends. what other little amusing things might i have missed all this time?
Re: Little things i never noticed: Shadow of Saganami
Post by robert132   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:21 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Lunan wrote:When Fitzgerald goes to monica in the purloined solly ship

gave me a nice little amused snort when i noticed it during my relisten to the sereis.

so tell me my friends. what other little amusing things might i have missed all this time?

What! Spoil the surprise?

Only trying to be a little difficult. ;)

If you're anything like me you'll pick up on more of these little things each time you read or listen to the story. It's been some time since I've last read the story so I'm about due to read it again myself.

Enjoy!!

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by saber964   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:41 pm

saber964
Admiral

robert132 wrote:

If you're anything like me you'll pick up on more of these little things each time you read or listen to the story. It's been some time since I've last read the story so I'm about due to read it again myself.

Enjoy!!

To bad they didn't use names like Anne Bonny or Mary Reed
Post by Theemile   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:03 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:

Enjoy!!

Yeah, little things like this are all throughout the series. Hey, he started out with numerous references to Hornblower, and then moved to the French Revolution.

Re-reading HoS, I found references to "Prime Minister Margo Thackeray" and her handling of San Martin's seizing of the Trevor's Star Wormhole terminus, and Quentin Saint-James' first PMH award pretty much came out of an occurance with a US Battleship in S. America.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by robert132   » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:50 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote:Yeah, little things like this are all throughout the series. Hey, he started out with numerous references to Hornblower, and then moved to the French Revolution.

Re-reading HoS, I found references to "Prime Minister Margo Thackeray" and her handling of San Martin's seizing of the Trevor's Star Wormhole terminus, and Quentin Saint-James' first PMH award pretty much came out of an occurance with a US Battleship in S. America.

He also pulled a number of names and places from Britain's WWI era, i.e. Duke Cromarty appears to be drawn from Cromarty in England, either a harbor or RN base on the North Sea.

I happened to note it when I was reading an old piece on British Battlecruiser operations in the North Sea around the time of the battle of Dogger Bank.

Knowing David is a major history buff with a fondness for British Naval history it doesn't surprise me at all.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:31 am

Fox2!
Commodore

saber964 wrote:

To bad they didn't use names like Anne Bonny or Mary Reed

Contraceptive implant makes it hard to "plead their bellies"
Post by n7axw   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:49 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

To bad they didn't use names like Anne Bonny or Mary Reed[/quote]

Not yet! :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:00 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

robert132 wrote:
Theemile wrote:Yeah, little things like this are all throughout the series. Hey, he started out with numerous references to Hornblower, and then moved to the French Revolution.

And of course there is Rob S Pierre and Saint Juste from Haven to represent the French Revolution.
Post by lyonheart   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:44 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi guys,

Yeah, the Rob S Pierre at the end of SVW gave me a groan/smile too.

Yup, there are lots of them, and most get overlooked in the hubbub of other topics, which is way too bad.

The US BB incident rings a rather dim bell, so please add some details.

I remember Cromarty from the Avalon Hill Jutland war game, back when few had a clue who or what AH was,while I started on Stalingrad when I was 7, and wasn't too bad by the time I was 10-11, while my dad taught at the CGSC at Fort Leavenworth), he was impressed with all the details, but didn't have much time to play it or some of the others I talked him into. ;)

One of my smiles/groans reading SoS was Westman's attempt to claim the good guys didn't wear white hats while staring at Terekhov's white beret; RFC took over 12 years to put that steak on the grill, since apparently so many had missed it for so long. :roll: :oops: :shock: :) :lol:

I suspect his list of 'gotchas' is probably so long and hoary that some are unrecognizable anymore, but its one more reason we love his work.

Perhaps in lieu of a snippet we might get a partial list?

Thanks for keeping these threads interesting.

L

ldwechsler wrote:
robert132 wrote:quote="Theemile"
Yeah, little things like this are all throughout the series. Hey, he started out with numerous references to Hornblower, and then moved to the French Revolution.

Re-reading HoS, I found references to "Prime Minister Margo Thackeray" and her handling of San Martin's seizing of the Trevor's Star Wormhole terminus, and Quentin Saint-James' first PMH award pretty much came out of an occurance with a US Battleship in S. America./quote

And of course there is Rob S Pierre and Saint Juste from Haven to represent the French Revolution.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Honorverse