Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

The Best Movies You've Never Seen

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
The Best Movies You've Never Seen
Post by dscott8   » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:40 pm

dscott8
Commodore

This is a thread where we can recommend good movies that got overlooked, usually because some snooty critics were too "artistic" to appreciate them.

I'll start with Undercover Blues. Dennis Quaid and Kathleen Turner play married secret agents whose maternity leave is interrupted by a crisis involving US weapons stolen by the renegade former head of the Czech Secret Police (Fiona Shaw). Their lighthearted bantering approach to the mission is not impeded by having their baby daughter along, much less by Stanley Tucci as a vengeful but incompetent mugger. The wife & I laughed our butts off all the way through.
Re: The Best Movies You've Never Seen
Post by Imaginos1892   » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Big Trouble: Rene Russo, Tim Allen, Stanley Tucci

It's a hoot! Divorced dad with rebellious son, estranged couple with rebellious daughter, two sarcastic hitmen, two idiot crooks and a bomb. Mayhem and insanity ensues.

"Is dat a goat?"

By Dawn's Early Light: Rebecca DeMornay, Powers Boothe, Martin Landau, James Earl Jones, Darren McGavin

Renegade Russian military launch a nuclear missile at Turkey to start World War 3. Some want to stop it, some want to turn it up to 11.

Small Soldiers: Gregory Smith, Kirsten Dunst, Phil Hartman, Frank Langella, Tommy Lee Jones

A toy company is 'acquired' by a tycoon who doesn't know or care what the companies he buys do. Two rival toy designers build competing lines of action figures driven by military A.I. computer chips that failed EMP testing. The rivalry gets literal when the soldier toys declare war on the 'Gorgonite' toys.

The scenes with the mutant Barbies are priceless.

"Bring me the head of Nick Nitro!"
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:21 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

A few oldies-but-goodies.

The Princess Bride
You mean you haven't seen it? "Inconceivable!"
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means..."

The Mouse That Roared (Peter Sellers in 3 different roles)
A great anti-war film where a tiny country with an army of twelve longbow-wielding soldiers accidentally wins a war with America, much to both countries dismay...

Some Like It Hot (Black-and-white with Marilyn Monroe)
"I'm a man!"
"Nobody's perfect."

Cactus Jack (tentative rec)
The Governator plays a Handsome Stranger.
A live-action Western with a distinct Looney-tunes aspect (including the classic Tunnel-painted-on-a-cliff-face gag).
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by dscott8   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:35 am

dscott8
Commodore

I'd like to recommend "My Man Godfrey", a depression-era black & white madcap comedy with a moral lesson. The gorgeous but outrageously silly Carole Lombard picks up down-and-out William Powell and turns him into her butler. Her spiteful sister does everything she can to wreck Carole's plans, while the family blindly indulges itself despite impending doom. Strong supporting cast parodies class divides. You will laugh yourself silly.
Post by ZVar   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:50 pm

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

Of those listed, I would say Mouse the Roared is likely the best, most underrated movie. It was simply great.

Mu contribution would be...
AnitTrust: Ryan Phillippe, Tim Robbins, Rachael Leigh Cook.
A computer programmer's dream job at a hot Portland-based firm turns nightmarish when he discovers his boss has a secret and ruthless means of dispatching anti-trust problems.

Down Periscope: Kelsey Grammer, Lauren Holly, Rob Schneider.
Lt. Cmdr. Tom Dodge is assigned as Captain to the USS Stingray, an old diesel driven submarine that has seen better days.
A good comedy of a out of the box captain test the US Navy's readiness to deal with old subs.

Sneakers: Robert Redford, Dan Aykroyd, Sidney Poitier.
A security pro finds his past coming back to haunt him, when he and his unique team are tasked with retrieving a particularly important item.
This movie is how hacking is really done. It's not ncis, or csi hacking, it's about real social engineering.

V for Vendetta: Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, Rupert Graves.
In a future British tyranny, a shadowy freedom fighter, known only by the alias of "V", plots to overthrow it with the help of a young woman.
The comic was better, but a good evil government flick (bonus to the head of the government played by John Hurt, who also played Winston Smith in 1984)

There are probably a good 100 more I can recommend, but I limited myself to 4 so as not to be too overwhelming.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:57 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

ZVar wrote:Down Periscope: Kelsey Grammer, Lauren Holly, Rob Schneider.
Lt. Cmdr. Tom Dodge is assigned as Captain to the USS Stingray, an old diesel driven submarine that has seen better days.
A good comedy of a out of the box captain test the US Navy's readiness to deal with old subs.

A better submarine comedy: Operation Petticoat (1959)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Daryl   » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:14 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

The Duchess and The Dirtwater Fox. Hillarious western spoof.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:50 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

"What's up doc?" My introduction to farce.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by dscott8   » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:12 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Another favorite is Desk Set, in which Spencer Tracy attempts to replace Katherine Hepburn's TV network research staff with a computer. A hilarious look at early attitudes toward information tech.

Return to Free-Range Topics...