Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

Oh, what the heck . . .

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Oh, what the heck . . .
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:12 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

I'd like to discuss this snippet in the context of the wider 'verse but that's gonna have to wait until I get over my urge to just hug both of them for ever and ever. (Well, mostly Eloise. But I'm gonna like this guy. I can tell.)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by SCC   » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:06 am

SCC
Commander

I'm a bit behind the thread here, but two things:
1) This new wormhole is almost worthless, when we're told about it, we're also told how there are no settled worlds closer to it then they are other termini, apart from Refuge. Now that is likely to change as there are habitable worlds in the area, but for now it's pretty much worthless, that's why the Legislaturalist's never went public with it.

2) Systems don't require multiple SD's to secure them, a carriers worth of LAC's, or a couple of Avalon-class light cruisers or Wolfhound-class destroyers, the Avalon's at least don't even use DDM's.
Post by kzt   » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:30 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

SCC wrote:
2) Systems don't require multiple SD's to secure them, a carriers worth of LAC's, or a couple of Avalon-class light cruisers or Wolfhound-class destroyers, the Avalon's at least don't even use DDM's.

So, tell me about how Grendelsbane was over defended.
Post by Gun Boat Diplomacy   » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Gun Boat Diplomacy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Forgive me if this has already been asked but, what book will this be in and when will it be for sale?
Post by Lunan   » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

Gun Boat Diplomacy wrote:Forgive me if this has already been asked but, what book will this be in and when will it be for sale?

while i have also asked this, i feel like its implied somewhere (other snippet thread for other story maybe) that these will show up in an anthology at some point as HIMSELF wrote them on a "just because the story is in his head" thing, not for any specific book
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:40 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Gun Boat Diplomacy wrote:Forgive me if this has already been asked but, what book will this be in and when will it be for sale?

I have a gut feeling that this is from one of the short stories for House of Lies (the Havenite version of House of Steel), but that's just my own speculation.

The other story thread (aka "the one where RFC makes Rose really angry by hurting Eloise" :lol: ) is for a Baen anthology of short stories that isn't strictly Honorverse, though I haven't got the rest of the details off the top of my head.

Hope this helps. :D
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:

I have a gut feeling that this is from one of the short stories for House of Lies (the Havenite version of House of Steel), but that's just my own speculation.

The other story thread (aka "the one where RFC makes Rose really angry by hurting Eloise" :lol: ) is for a Baen anthology of short stories that isn't strictly Honorverse, though I haven't got the rest of the details off the top of my head.

Hope this helps. :D

_Infinite Stars_ is a non-Baen anthology ("Our Sacred Honor" is the last story - it also the only Honorverse story).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:50 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
_Infinite Stars_ is a non-Baen anthology ("Our Sacred Honor" is the last story - it also the only Honorverse story).

There! Listen to the person who knows more than me. :mrgreen:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by tonyz   » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:25 pm

tonyz
Lieutenant Commander

Shirkahna was her host’s title, which the protocolists told her translated literally as “shepherd” but could also be translated as both “warlord” or “sentinel.”

Heh. The word is actually "pastor", right? Shepherd of the flock, also leader of city (cf. Bishop Odo of Bayeux, William the Conqueror's mace-wielding half-brother), or "guy who watches out for the sheep" ;)

Nice riff on the meanings of religious hierarchy terms as they shift over time.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:05 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

SCC wrote:I'm a bit behind the thread here, but two things:
1) This new wormhole is almost worthless, when we're told about it, we're also told how there are no settled worlds closer to it then they are other termini, apart from Refuge. Now that is likely to change as there are habitable worlds in the area, but for now it's pretty much worthless, that's why the Legislaturalist's never went public with it.

The Legislaturalists were focused on finding a strategic advantage over Manticore, or else a short-term financial shot in the arm. They weren't focused on the long-term benefits of nurturing additional settled worlds that would grow to being able to use the wormhole for merchant shipping (all those fees) in a couple of centuries. They didn't think they had a couple of centuries.

The other point here is that K and M stars are apparently not good candidates for desirable habitable worlds, at least in the Honorverse. Sanctuary is a statistical fluke.

SCC wrote:2) Systems don't require multiple SD's to secure them, a carriers worth of LAC's, or a couple of Avalon-class light cruisers or Wolfhound-class destroyers, the Avalon's at least don't even use DDM's.

Defend them against what? An attack by a squadron of SDs? Even Solly SDs would chew up everything you said, unless they had a collier's load of Mark 23 missiles to use against them.

An attack by the MAlign's Detweiller-class SDs with spider drive? If it can be done at all, it requires an all-up Mycroft system.

Return to Honorverse