Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests

Manticore Seniority

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Manticore Seniority
Post by ghost   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:32 pm

ghost
Ensign

I don't know why I'm thinking of this now instead of after At all costs came out but I'm wondering who the senior admiral in the RMN is right now. I understand Caparelli is the First Space Lord and is pretty senior but then Givens is only a Vice Admiral. Caparelli's position doesn't necessarily mean he's the senior admiral as Webster was senior to him after he stepped down and took over home fleet.

We did lose many senior admirals during the battle of Manticore so who's left. In fact, unless I missed something, Sonia Hemphill may be senior or in the top few as she was an admiral of the green during On Basilak Station. Any thoughts or anything I missed?
Re: Manticore Seniority
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

ghost wrote:I don't know why I'm thinking of this now instead of after At all costs came out but I'm wondering who the senior admiral in the RMN is right now. I understand Caparelli is the First Space Lord and is pretty senior but then Givens is only a Vice Admiral. Caparelli's position doesn't necessarily mean he's the senior admiral as Webster was senior to him after he stepped down and took over home fleet.

We did lose many senior admirals during the battle of Manticore so who's left. In fact, unless I missed something, Sonia Hemphill may be senior or in the top few as she was an admiral of the green during On Basilak Station. Any thoughts or anything I missed?

Hamish if he were to give up First Lord and half-pay.

I think Honor got promoted over Hemphill unless both are at "Admiral of the Fleet" rank -- I don't know about seniority, but AotF is the highest rank and there d*&# few at that level before AAC.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Head Honcho

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:06 pm

saber964
Admiral

Caperelli is overall commander of the RMN. Technically the second in command is CO Home Fleet who carries the rank of Admiral of the Fleet. The rank of Fleet Admiral is a special rank reserved for CO's of special fleets or those who have commanded Home Fleet previously. Pat Givens holds the rank of Admiral and Sonia Hemphill was senior to Honor prior to Honors advancement to FADM. Sonia was in the navy in the late 1850's PD befor Honor had been born IIRC.
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:58 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:Caperelli is overall commander of the RMN. Technically the second in command is CO Home Fleet who carries the rank of Admiral of the Fleet. The rank of Fleet Admiral is a special rank reserved for CO's of special fleets or those who have commanded Home Fleet previously. Pat Givens holds the rank of Admiral and Sonia Hemphill was senior to Honor prior to Honors advancement to FADM. Sonia was in the navy in the late 1850's PD befor Honor had been born IIRC.

Hemphill was a Commander at approximately the same time as Hamish, which is what allowed the two of them to exchange such fiery rhetoric without quite crossing into the realm of insubordination. Sonja also spent considerably more time planetside, or station-side as part of the WDB, she almost lost her field status until she took a BatRon in FiE and assigned to Grendlesbane.

Then finally I think she also had rather less patronage than Hamish, which combined with her extensive WDB experience and lack of real commands, would have placed her somewhere between 2 and 5 years behind Hamish.

On the topic of other admirals, Kuzak should also be pretty damn senior, and possibly even higher than Hemphill. She was also a full admiral with Hamish, when Emily had her accident and Hamish had that affair with her. I just don't know if she was red or green when she took command of Third Fleet protecting Trevor's Star.

Excluding Caparelli, Hemphill, and Kuzak, none of the remaining senior admirals that we know about are field-grade. Cortez has been head of BuPers from before even OBS until AAC, that's more than 20 if not 30 years of administration without a single combat posting. Givens I think is the same as Cortez, ONI, no combat postings to our knowledge simply decades in ONI.

Honor, and her extended family are now among the most senior admirals in the RMN, and much of the GSN are as well.
Post by Silverwall   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:43 am

Silverwall
Captain (Junior Grade)

I thought Kuzak was one of the many casualties of the Battle of Manticore which is why Admiral Truman was commanding the remnants of 3rd fleet when Honor bluffed Tourville into surrendering his fleet.
Post by Duckk   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:08 am

Duckk
Site Admin

From House of Steel:

The First Space Lord, regardless of his actual rank, is considered the senior uniformed officer in the RMN and is responsible for the overall strategic direction, force structure management, and deployment of the Navy.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:37 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Silverwall wrote:I thought Kuzak was one of the many casualties of the Battle of Manticore which is why Admiral Truman was commanding the remnants of 3rd fleet when Honor bluffed Tourville into surrendering his fleet.

Yep, Kuzak and her entire flag ship's crew died when it's compensator took a hit in the middle of BoMa.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:32 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:
Silverwall wrote:I thought Kuzak was one of the many casualties of the Battle of Manticore which is why Admiral Truman was commanding the remnants of 3rd fleet when Honor bluffed Tourville into surrendering his fleet.

Yep, Kuzak and her entire flag ship's crew died when it's compensator took a hit in the middle of BoMa.

Maybe I was confusing Kuzak with Truman, but I could have sworn Kuzak survived, her flagship had been shot to hell and the comms were out I thought. And McKeon's flagship had been shot to hell but a direct hit to flag bridge, and Truman survived purely by flying aboard a CLAC.
Post by senna   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:06 pm

senna
Ensign

Admiral of the Fleet is an honoury rank that goes with the position of home fleet, Fleet Admiral is the highest rank attainable within the RMN. It is mentioned during the nursery scene at the end of AAC. IIRC!!

Return to Honorverse