Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Wouldn't that 'several weeks' endurance rating be at nominal power? Akin to the battery life of laptops given at nominal power which doesn't include the screen brightness dialed all the way up, surfing, game playing, apps in the background, all simultaneously. Full power draw.

I was considering scenarios like the conditions a drone would be up against if they were dropped in a system where wargames were about to take place and ships are being sent all over the place. Friendlies hypering in all of the time. LACs all over the place.

IOW, a Ghost Rider drone finding itself in a hornet's nest. Probably rare but certainly not out of the question. Which would probably decrease those "weeks" to days.

"Oh my, they didn't program me for this!"

As a last resort contingency, I imagine they are programmed to eat a cyanide capsule. LOL

Yes. I probably wasn't clear enough, but my "a day and to several weeks" wasn't intended to be a statement of a wide uncertainty band, but rather that their endurance would be drastically different under different operating conditions.

As you said at nominal power, just drifting there listening, they're probably good for several weeks; maybe as much as a month or two.
At high power, chasing all over the system with stealth fields active more like a day or two max (possibly less).

Even with the siphon effect of their wedge providing a fair bit of their power it still takes a lot of energy to maintain even a standby wedge, much less go charging around at up to 5000 gees!
Post by kzt   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:42 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:I guess it would depend on how much volume you'd have to devote to those capacitors* and how important they view long duration low power surveillance. (in other words what's the opportunity costs of including them vs how valuable they'd be)

And remember you need enough capacitors to not just run the drone also to provide the significant restart power to fire the reactor back up

It's been clearly stated by David that there is no restart capability.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'm a code monkey at heart. I've been writing computer code since I was so young snot was running down my nose. It is how I made my fortune. Because of it, I'm always interested in code.

I'd surely like to see the AI code the GR drones use to avoid the enemy. Say while in a hornet's nest of maneuvering enemy forces. It would be funny to see a GR drone pulling several thousand Gees suddenly determining that it needs to come to a full stop and play cat and mouse with the enemy. Akin to the old classic Fox-&-Geese game on the checkerboard.

It is quite the challenge to write an acceptable AI for this game

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote:
-snip-

And if (despite assurances by RFC) MA was to use EEVs it has shown that it sets no real value on human life. it would not bother with surgical attacks. 100 years of nuclear winter should do the trick.

My friends hounded me on this one as well. I surmised the MAN might choose to utilize their stealth ability to effect a completely surgical strike rewriting the book on EEV because their tech puts the capability into their hands. And because the MAlign would surely know as well as we know that in the case of genocide a galaxy wide APB would be put out on their heads.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:31 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:I guess it would depend on how much volume you'd have to devote to those capacitors* and how important they view long duration low power surveillance. (in other words what's the opportunity costs of including them vs how valuable they'd be)

And remember you need enough capacitors to not just run the drone also to provide the significant restart power to fire the reactor back up

Oops - I didn't remember that :o
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:49 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

kzt wrote:

I know David said this about missiles. Did that apply to drones as well?
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by kzt   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:03 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

It's the same reactor as the missiles.

Apparently David decided that the way the RMN starts their reactors is by piping in 50 million degree plasma under a couple of million pascals of pressure. To which I say "It's his series".
Post by Fox2!   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:08 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

kzt wrote:It's the same reactor as the missiles.

Apparently David decided that the way the RMN starts their reactors is by piping in 50 million degree plasma under a couple of million pascals of pressure. To which I say "It's his series".

I was going to ask, K or C. But at that point, 273 degrees C difference doesn't amount to much.
Post by Duckk   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

kzt wrote:It's the same reactor as the missiles.

He said that missile impellers cannot be restarted. I cannot recall any instance of him saying microfusion plants cannot be dialed down, then back up.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by kzt   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:34 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Duckk wrote:He said that missile impellers cannot be restarted. I cannot recall any instance of him saying microfusion plants cannot be dialed down, then back up.

"The tiny fusion plants in question require an external power source to initiate the reaction, and that power is now provided from the missile launchers rather than in the form of capacitor charges while the missiles are still in the magazines."
http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... gton/174/0

That's what all the plasma conduits are for. So unless you have a running conventional fusion plant bolted to your recon drone it's going to be hard to restart the micro reactor.

And it seems I mis-remembered, the reactor in the recon drone is similar but bigger. So it's not identical.

Return to Honorverse