Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 44 guests

Screen Test _Casting Pavel Young

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Screen Test _Casting Pavel Young
Post by jdtinIA   » Tue May 16, 2017 3:46 pm

jdtinIA
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:
munroburton wrote:Benedict Cumberbatch.

I'm not familiar with him so I cannot comment on it, except to mention that I failed to consider an English accent, or whether Val Kilmer can effectively pull off an English accent.

To be honest, I never considered that there would still be an accent in the Honorverse. Do you think?

I can say that your casting certainly looks like a Pavel Young.

He plays the title character in BBC's "Sherlock", more recently he was "Dr. Strange". Talented young man. I always kind of pictured Paul Tankersley as him.
Post by Valen123456   » Sat May 20, 2017 5:20 am

Valen123456
Lieutenant Commander

Whenever I picture Pavel Young I imagine Michael Sheen.

I think he would do a great job conveying Young's signature combination of surface charm, mindless arrogance, venomous petulant anger, and moral cowardice. I know Michael is better known for playing more flamboyant roles but he can also convey things more subtly so that Young's slimey charm is offset with childlike temper tantrums.
Post by Somtaaw   » Wed May 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:
Or she could have been wet and on slippery surfaces and Young in his boots.

Also, it seems that if Young did participate in the combat training course many would be familiar with his level of expertise and Honor didn't seem to know that his combat skills were non existent. But likewise, he didn't seem to know that hers was exceptional. 'sigh'

Of course, you never underestimate your opponent and certainly size is no substitute for skill if you ask anyone who knows Cachat, but Honor had the edge of enhancement, accomplished in her class and extra sessions with McDougal. And Young, none of the above. And... well... Young. But then, perhaps the timeline made it too soon for it to be well known that he was simply inadequate.

Plus! Honor had the grav plates cranked up!

The deck was really stacked against Young. It is ironic that she left him on that same stacked deck.

She was simply better at playing cards. Pavel played the JoKeR but Honor simply used a wild card on him.

You need to reread the relevant books, Pavel didn't make his move until after Honor's cranked up workout and she was in the showers. Showers, especially on Saganami Island (not aboard a ship), wouldn't have configurable grav plates.

So he was going to "fight" her in standard one gravity situation, even if he totally ignored or forgot that Honor's from Sphinx which is 30% heavier than Manticore, ignored or never researched Meyerdahl First Waves inherent base strength.

And that's all on top of him avoiding physical confrontation in general, with his peers anyways. And if you read between the lines about his Academy flashbacks, and how he got fat(ter) really fast between OBS and FoD, he either doesn't exercise AT ALL or he calls exercise getting up and walking to the kitchen. Metaphorically of course, after all thoroughbred nobles like he is, would never EVER actually do something so mundane as fetching food personally.

Then there was the (in?)famous shuttle pilot Pavel's father had to shut up, before Pavel himself (presumably) raped her again after he got her alone. Something something "fixed her ass the next time he caught her alone", after said shuttle pilot turned down his request for sex when he was 16 or something like that. I'll find that quote later when I'm not doing work. How exactly did the shuttle pilot snub him, that filled him with the same sort of rage that Honor "snubbing" him did, when Pavel tried to ask Honor out?
Post by cthia   » Sun May 28, 2017 8:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:
Or she could have been wet and on slippery surfaces and Young in his boots.

Also, it seems that if Young did participate in the combat training course many would be familiar with his level of expertise and Honor didn't seem to know that his combat skills were non existent. But likewise, he didn't seem to know that hers was exceptional. 'sigh'

Of course, you never underestimate your opponent and certainly size is no substitute for skill if you ask anyone who knows Cachat, but Honor had the edge of enhancement, accomplished in her class and extra sessions with McDougal. And Young, none of the above. And... well... Young. But then, perhaps the timeline made it too soon for it to be well known that he was simply inadequate.

Plus! Honor had the grav plates cranked up!

The deck was really stacked against Young. It is ironic that she left him on that same stacked deck.

She was simply better at playing cards. Pavel played the JoKeR but Honor simply used a wild card on him.
Somtaaw wrote:You need to reread the relevant books, Pavel didn't make his move until after Honor's cranked up workout and she was in the showers. Showers, especially on Saganami Island (not aboard a ship), wouldn't have configurable grav plates.
Good point. My error was in my imagination or lack thereof, as well as the baggage I carry from everyday life. In many clubs and other facilities the showers are part of the gym and I assumed that Honor would've wanted a normal native G workout as well as shower. Yet there are others who might've wanted access to the showers who are not Sphinxian. So good point. And of course, I am assuming as I would assume you would accept that at Sag Isle the gyms would have configurable grav plates or someone born of a higher G planet would ill achieve a real workout.

So he was going to "fight" her in standard one gravity situation, even if he totally ignored or forgot that Honor's from Sphinx which is 30% heavier than Manticore, ignored or never researched Meyerdahl First Waves inherent base strength.

And that's all on top of him avoiding physical confrontation in general, with his peers anyways. And if you read between the lines about his Academy flashbacks, and how he got fat(ter) really fast between OBS and FoD, he either doesn't exercise AT ALL or he calls exercise getting up and walking to the kitchen. Metaphorically of course, after all thoroughbred nobles like he is, would never EVER actually do something so mundane as fetching food personally.
Which supports my thought that possibly Honor was concerned with his extra weight when textev stated that she wanted to ensure that Young couldn't get up and retaliate.

And of course amongst other factors, his extra weight would have been born of having to be responsible for his own meals, having no servants at Sag Isle and having to eat what is there or "fast food." He would have been fending for himself as far as meals.

Then there was the (in?)famous shuttle pilot Pavel's father had to shut up, before Pavel himself (presumably) raped her again after he got her alone. Something something "fixed her ass the next time he caught her alone", after said shuttle pilot turned down his request for sex when he was 16 or something like that. I'll find that quote later when I'm not doing work. How exactly did the shuttle pilot snub him, that filled him with the same sort of rage that Honor "snubbing" him did, when Pavel tried to ask Honor out?

Do we have more info on the shuttle pilot? I sure would be interested in knowing whether she, as well as the other confirmed rape, was a Commoner or descended from aristocracy.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by robert132   » Tue May 30, 2017 12:17 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Do we have more info on the shuttle pilot? I sure would be interested in knowing whether she, as well as the other confirmed rape, was a Commoner or descended from aristocracy.

I would suspect that a "mere" shuttle pilot would likely be a Commoner, her being "hired help" and all that regardless of how highly skilled she was. I also suspect the ONLY reason she signed on as a "North Hollow" pilot was because the Earl's reputation was repulsive enough that he had to offer a HUGE salary to attract anything better skilled than bottom tier pilots. If she was physically attractive that probably garnered a larger sign-on bonus or salary provided she kept her looks and didn't resist or protest too much.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by dscott8   » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:24 pm

dscott8
Commodore

I "cast" books in my head as I read them, and based on the descriptions I always imagined Pavel Young as a surly Ricky Gervais.Image
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Nice casting for Pavel Young as well, dscott8.

An Aside:
I saw the new Wonder Woman movie. FANTASTIC!

Gal Gadot certainly is a wonder of a woman! She pulls it off flawlessly. The director deserves many awards! OMG!

I once personally picked her to play Honor Harrington in a thread floating about somewhere. I was sure of that casting then. Moreso now! What a wonderful Honor Harrington Gal Gadot would make. Her Israeli roots create the much needed exotic look one would come to expect from a Sphinxian.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Rincewind   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Screen Test.

As stated before, Young's character really interests me -- with his still being able to pull off being intimidating to Honor under all of the actual circumstances was very impressive. During the time of talk about a movie, I was really excited about the idea of "some" actor portraying Young's character and nailing it. A good protagonist oftentimes carries a storyline, fuels it, even determines its appeal.

The "Best Supporting Actor or Protagonist."

Young exuded general confidence - though false. Yet it was a reflection and measure of his social status and confidence - which was real. I imagine he was a cross between a Houseman and a High Ridge. Point being, Young had to be the quintessential jaded privileged aristocrat born with his head wedged far up his own ass -- the type of aristocrat that others who wore the title well, loathed, like Terekov?, iirc. Aristocrats like Young gave the title a bad name.

Yet, what actor could successfully pull off Pavel Young? A casting part I feel is nearly as important as casting Honor Harrington.

My vote goes to... the envelope please...

Val Kilmer. His portrayal of Doc Holiday shows extraordinary talent and range. He's a giant of an actor in my book and could quite easily pull off the likes of Pavel Young with aplomb.

Is there anyone else that should try on the single glass slipper?

He is probably a bit too old now but what about Alexis Denisof?
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:50 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Rincewind wrote:
cthia wrote:Screen Test.

[ts like Young gave the title a bad name.

Yet, what actor could successfully pull off Pavel Young? A casting part I feel is nearly as important as casting Honor Harrington.

My vote goes to... the envelope please...

Val Kilmer. His portrayal of Doc Holiday shows extraordinary talent and range. He's a giant of an actor in my book and could quite easily pull off the likes of Pavel Young with aplomb.

Is there anyone else that should try on the single glass slipper?

He is probably a bit too old now but what about Alexis Denisof?[/quote]

The whole notion is ridiculous. First of all, Pavel Young is only in a few books and never all that much. He is a minor villain.

Second, the stars mentioned would not do the part. This is TV
series, likely on HBO or Netflix, etc. Not all that much money to pay for supporting cast. Think Game of Thrones. No one in the cast was really well known before the show. Iwan Rheon (I probably spelled his name incorrectly) played villain Ramsey Bolton and was great. By the way, he would be even better as Pavel Young.

I don't care if it's Gal Gadot or anyone else. I'll be happy even with a blond as long as we get the show.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Is there anyone else that should try on the single glass slipper?

It occurs to me that there is a good bit of similarity between Pavel and Gaston.

Perhaps Luke Evans could expand on his performance as Gaston to make a truly hate-able Pavel?

Luke Evans
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse