Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 51 guests

Another update from David, including snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Another update from David, including snippet
Post by saber964   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:02 pm

saber964
Admiral

Annachie wrote:Only amatuers think fishing is about fishing.

It's doing as little as possible, while appearing to be actually doing something, and drinking as much beer as possible. ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You are describing the art of fishing. The actual art of fishing is actually going out and trying to catch something. The art of fishing is going out and consuming as much beer and junk food as the body can handle while moving as little as possible.
Post by Hornblower   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

saber964 wrote:

It's doing as little as possible, while appearing to be actually doing something, and drinking as much beer as possible. ;)

You are describing the art of fishing. The actual art of fishing is actually going out and trying to catch something. The art of fishing is going out and consuming as much beer and junk food as the body can handle while moving as little as possible.

This kind of fishing is probably not a good idea, neither for me nor for RFC ;)
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:

There's also the fact that you don't have to wait 'til April. It is always fishing season in your beer cooler and these type of anglers always get a bite because they keep their fisheries well stocked! And they always seem to carry their favorite watering hole with them. :lol:

One of my friends tells me he goes simply to harass the hell out of the fish.

I think Annachie is pointing out that it is an excellent way to unwind while stopping to smell the roses. My friend, let's say his name rhymes with Bob, seems to actually get upset when he gets a bite...

"Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel"

"SOB!" Knocking over his beer and chips while scrambling for the reel.

Annachie is right that it'd be "just what the doctor ordered" for David. Even if his wrists prevent him from actually casting.

My friends and I once told Bob we were going to take him carp fishing because they are so eager to be caught that they actually jump into your boat! People have been seriously injured and possibly killed by flying silver carp. Consider being headbutted by a flying 40+ lb fish.

Drinking beer while dealing with Asian carp is not advisable! You may catch a fish and a concussion and or contusion.

Wabash River, fyi. (My personal experience.) Can be found in other places as well.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by drothgery   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:57 pm

drothgery
Admiral

It's doing as little as possible, while appearing to be actually doing something, and drinking as much beer as possible. ;

/cue the Miles & Illian fishing trip from LMB's Memory...
Post by jtg452   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:00 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Yeah, that's fishing.

Except for the beer drinking, I don't like the nasty stuff.

Some of my best days fishing were done with a cane pole with a bobber and nothing but a couple pieces of split shot underneath it (used to use a dry hook until I had a perfectly good nap interrupted by a fish biting an unbaited hook) to keep it in the general area of where I put it.
Post by robert132   » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:18 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

ksandgren wrote:Thank you Duckk and David for the updates and the bonus snippet. We have missed DW on the forum and certainly want him back - preferably healthy and writing anew

There are times like this when I wish this forum had a means of "Up Voting" comments. I'd willingly upvote this one until my fingers got tired.

David, listen to your soul mate. She has your best interests at heart like mine does me.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Lazlo   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Lazlo
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

take care and thank your wonderful wife for me and all of us. our lives are richer with your words and ideas. thank you
Post by Gun Boat Diplomacy   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:11 am

Gun Boat Diplomacy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

fallsfromtrees wrote:Great snippet. Where and when do we find the whole story? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes,Great snippet.
I too would like to know where I might find, as Paul Harvey would say, "the rest of the story"
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:06 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Gun Boat Diplomacy wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:Great snippet. Where and when do we find the whole story? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes,Great snippet.
I too would like to know where I might find, as Paul Harvey would say, "the rest of the story"

This is an early version of Dark Fall. Three more snippets are in the snippet index, which is at the very top of the list.

There are conflicting stories about when it will be out. One says it will be part of Uncompromising Honor, the other says it will be one of the Baen free stories, published at the same time as UH. It may also be part of the rumored next anthology.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
This is an early version of Dark Fall. Three more snippets are in the snippet index, which is at the very top of the list.

There are conflicting stories about when it will be out. One says it will be part of Uncompromising Honor, the other says it will be one of the Baen free stories, published at the same time as UH. It may also be part of the rumored next anthology.

It's also been thought to be the story in "House of Lies" - the Havenite Compendium.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse