Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Why does Safehold have coal and petroleum?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Why does Safehold have coal and petroleum?
Post by Norm.bone   » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:41 pm

Norm.bone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I'm on my first way through the series, and I'm up to _Midst Toil and Tribulation_. It seems likely someone's asked this already, so please point me there if I've missed it.

Why does Safehold have fossil fuels? Was it Earthlike enough to generate them from plant matter? Did the terraforming team put it there?
Re: Why does Safehold have coal and petroleum?
Post by zyffyr   » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:56 pm

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

Safehold already had a functioning ecolosystem. The process of "Sanctifying" land is actually "Kill off the native stuff and introduce the stuff the 'Angels' modified".
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:31 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I believe the question is how can oil form unless the organisms that dies have very similar chemistry to that of Earth. If the chemistry is different enough, oil *can't* form no matter how the mass of organisms that died.
Post by Silverwall   » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Silverwall
Captain (Junior Grade)

In this case the chemistry is basically *be carbon based* which isn't that hard to achieve. So long as it can create 6 carbon rings (benzene rings) and long carbon chains similar to starches and cellulose we should be good to get to coal and oils.
Post by Louis R   » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:58 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Since we can breath the air and eat the locals [and vice versa] the chemistry is, for this purpose, identical to ours. If the correct conditions occurred the formation of fossil fuel deposits can be taken pretty much for granted.

As you say, local biochemistry could vary a long long way from ours and still produce carbon and hydrocarbon deposits. I can, with a little effort, imagine carbon-based life that might not permit the conditions to occur, but the _story_ wouldn't occur on such a planet - if I'm not mistaken, it would not develop an oxygen atmosphere for one thing.

However, I think the OP was reading 'terraforming' to mean the introduction of life on a previously lifeless planet, which is far from the case here.

Silverwall wrote:In this case the chemistry is basically *be carbon based* which isn't that hard to achieve. So long as it can create 6 carbon rings (benzene rings) and long carbon chains similar to starches and cellulose we should be good to get to coal and oils.
Post by chrisd   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:33 am

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

Louis R wrote:Since we can breath the air and eat the locals [and vice versa] the chemistry is, for this purpose, identical to ours. If the correct conditions occurred the formation of fossil fuel deposits can be taken pretty much for granted.

As you say, local biochemistry could vary a long long way from ours and still produce carbon and hydrocarbon deposits. I can, with a little effort, imagine carbon-based life that might not permit the conditions to occur, but the _story_ wouldn't occur on such a planet - if I'm not mistaken, it would not develop an oxygen atmosphere for one thing.

However, I think the OP was reading 'terraforming' to mean the introduction of life on a previously lifeless planet, which is far from the case here.

Silverwall wrote:In this case the chemistry is basically *be carbon based* which isn't that hard to achieve. So long as it can create 6 carbon rings (benzene rings) and long carbon chains similar to starches and cellulose we should be good to get to coal and oils.

IIRC, early on the "terraforming" is mentioned to include quite extensive "Earthworks"
(Including the original canal system)
Post by Norm.bone   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:51 am

Norm.bone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

chrisd wrote:

IIRC, early on the "terraforming" is mentioned to include quite extensive "Earthworks"
(Including the original canal system)

All valid points. Thanks, all!

Return to Safehold