Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Brass and bosun's pipes in NYC

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Brass and bosun's pipes in NYC
Post by Kufat   » Sun May 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Kufat
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I happened to be wandering around the west side of NYC yesterday, sipping a black and white milkshake with no particular destination in mind, when I saw a four-masted sailing ship at the docks. She turned out to be the Juan Sebastián Elcano, the Spanish Navy's training vessel. And they were giving tours!

I'm far, far from an expert on anything related to sailing, but it was amazing to step back in time. I happened to be nearby when a senior officer was welcomed onboard with bosun's pipes; it might not sound like a big deal, but it was really something to see and hear that in person.

She's heading out tomorrow; I wish I'd known soon enough to make a post on the forum so other local fans would have had a chance to visit.
Re: Brass and bosun's pipes in NYC
Post by robert132   » Fri May 12, 2017 2:46 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Kufat wrote:I happened to be wandering around the west side of NYC yesterday, sipping a black and white milkshake with no particular destination in mind, when I saw a four-masted sailing ship at the docks. She turned out to be the Juan Sebastián Elcano, the Spanish Navy's training vessel. And they were giving tours!

I'm far, far from an expert on anything related to sailing, but it was amazing to step back in time. I happened to be nearby when a senior officer was welcomed onboard with bosun's pipes; it might not sound like a big deal, but it was really something to see and hear that in person.

She's heading out tomorrow; I wish I'd known soon enough to make a post on the forum so other local fans would have had a chance to visit.

If they greeted the officer with Bosun's calls (pipes) they probably also had Side Boys lined up. It's part of naval tradition.

I've seen this Lady too when she last visited Hampton Roads and tied up in downtown Norfolk VA. She's a beauty, but then I've always liked the "tall ships" and the link to the days of sail. I think they're all special.

USN retired.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.

Return to Free-Range Topics...