Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Clyntahn's last words were said in public

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Clyntahn's last words were said in public
Post by Expert snuggler   » Fri May 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Expert snuggler
Captain of the List

What's going through the minds of everyone who heard the former Grand Inquisitor say something to the effect "I thought the Writ was true"?
Re: Clyntahn's last words were said in public
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Fri May 05, 2017 11:25 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

I suspect Stohnar's thoughts would have been shared by most.

IE "He was driven insane at the thought of being executed." :twisted:

Expert snuggler wrote:What's going through the minds of everyone who heard the former Grand Inquisitor say something to the effect "I thought the Writ was true"?
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat May 06, 2017 9:44 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:I suspect Stohnar's thoughts would have been shared by most.

Expert snuggler wrote:What's going through the minds of everyone who heard the former Grand Inquisitor say something to the effect "I thought the Writ was true"?

But it is a thread you can start pulling on. A whispering campaign to the effect of "He was the Grand Inquisitor. What did he know that we don't? "
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat May 06, 2017 10:44 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Good Point.

fallsfromtrees wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:I suspect Stohnar's thoughts would have been shared by most.

But it is a thread you can start pulling on. A whispering campaign to the effect of "He was the Grand Inquisitor. What did he know that we don't? "
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by thanatos   » Sat May 06, 2017 8:42 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

fallsfromtrees wrote:

May be. Then again may be not. I have a feeling that most will likely dismiss them as either the insane ramblings of a mass murderer who finally cracked under the reality of his impending execution or else a coward, begging for his life for the last time. Either explanation is easier than something far more profound and theologically problematic as a challenge to the very truth of the Holy Writ. I suspect that very few people would fall in this third category, constantly seeking to know whether he meant something else. Indeed, the only sort who might go down that route are conspiracy theorists whom few would take seriously.
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Sun May 07, 2017 7:24 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

thanatos wrote:
May be. Then again may be not. I have a feeling that most will likely dismiss them as either the insane ramblings of a mass murderer who finally cracked under the reality of his impending execution or else a coward, begging for his life for the last time. Either explanation is easier than something far more profound and theologically problematic as a challenge to the very truth of the Holy Writ. I suspect that very few people would fall in this third category, constantly seeking to know whether he meant something else. Indeed, the only sort who might go down that route are conspiracy theorists whom few would take seriously.

Ah - what a nice world Safehold is. Where we can still have some vague hope that those words may end up having some impact at some point.

If something like that happened RL in the age of fake news everything would become so muddled that everybody would end up believing what they have always believed and tune out what they don't like - especially potentially inconvenient truths.
Post by Louis R   » Sun May 07, 2017 10:58 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

True enough, but it's a safe bet that there will be a few who take it seriously. And that they'll crop up in the oddest places - inside the SSK & Helm Cleaver seem the most likely, but there are also those who've interacted a fair bit with the Seijin in one of their more spectacular manifestations. And there will simply be those who look around them and say 'what if...', and find that it solves a conundrum.

Few, very few, but more than none.

thanatos wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:But it is a thread you can start pulling on. A whispering campaign to the effect of "He was the Grand Inquisitor. What did he know that we don't? "

Post by Dilandu   » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:58 am

Dilandu
Admiral

They probably just concluded that he went mad by trying to justify his actions by the Writ - hence the Writ reference. Quite fortunately Clyntahn was shattered enough and have no time to compose himself. Otherwise... things may went unpredictable; he may actually compose the speech integral enough, so many would start to wonder: "this didn't look like a just mad rant... And he claimed that seijins revealed the truth to him... and we knew, that seijins visited Clyntahn... hm, whats going on, actually?"
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Kufat   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:12 pm

Kufat
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

"The man was such an egomaniac that he'd sooner believe that God lied to the world than that he had done anything wrong!"
Post by McGuiness   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:12 pm

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

I suspect most who heard Clyntahn say that figured that he thought HIS interpretation of the Writ was true - that God's will was whatever Clyntahn thought it ought to be.

When you put down a rabid dog you don't pay too much attention to its last growls and howls. You just kill the cursed thing.

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.

Return to Safehold