Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Langhorne records?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Langhorne records?
Post by jarno21   » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:13 pm

jarno21
Midshipman

I just finished rereading ATSoT, and I kinda stumbled on a certain part in the very last chapter:

'"We've all heard thes arguments before, Dr Pei," the Archangel Langhorne said," and it was the archangel's voice. He knew it was, because unlike Shan-wei's, he'd heard it before.'

Now I can't help but wonder where "he" might have heard Langhorne's voice. Am I missing something which was mentioned earlier or in previous books? Or is this potentially another one of those charges which was carried down by an archangel?
Re: Langhorne records?
Post by phillies   » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:19 pm

phillies
Admiral

jarno21 wrote:I just finished rereading ATSoT, and I kinda stumbled on a certain part in the very last chapter:

'"We've all heard thes arguments before, Dr Pei," the Archangel Langhorne said," and it was the archangel's voice. He knew it was, because unlike Shan-wei's, he'd heard it before.'

Now I can't help but wonder where "he" might have heard Langhorne's voice. Am I missing something which was mentioned earlier or in previous books? Or is this potentially another one of those charges which was carried down by an archangel?

The Inquisition had secret files.
Post by wingfield   » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:28 am

wingfield
Lieutenant Commander

phillies wrote:
jarno21 wrote:I just finished rereading ATSoT, and I kinda stumbled on a certain part in the very last chapter:

The Inquisition had secret files.

Some time ago, before I had connectivity issues, I recall a post where someone mused on The Grand Inquisitor calling for Secret File X. This was in the context of Clyntahn recognising Langhorne's voice.

I don't see any problem with this. There would be any number of individuals with knowledge of what files were secret and where they were kept. Very few may have been allowed to READ them or even carry them in unsealed boxes. However, indexes, like the poor, are with us always. An archive or a library has to fall deeply into disuse or disrepair before important files get lost or become inaccessible. The Temple is working like a well-oiled machine. It is in no way decrepit.

If Clyntahn wanted to see a particular record from the time of the War of the Fallen, he would simply ask for it. The logistics of getting it to him or arranging for him to read (or listen to) it would be the responsibility of others down his chain of command.

Obviously some things would be buried deep or would not be used, simply because there was no call for it. Nevertheless, they could be easily tracked by the right people with the right clearance.

Some of us are old enough to remember huge rooms full of card index trays in major libraries. This was long before today's electronic indexing! Despite the complexity of these cards, I could find the right card and have the right book or document available to view well within the hour!
Post by DMcCunney   » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:52 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

The question is how Clyntahn had heard Langhorne's voice.

The Temple was built by the Archangels, apparently after the War Against the Fallen, and chock-a-block full of mystical things, like the magically maintained comfortable temperatures and soft background music and changing wall murals available in Vicar's dwellings and offices. It's all technology, but the current inhabitants don't know that. It's glory to the Archangels for the miracles they graciously provided.

The Inquisition's secret files likely include audio and video records dating from the time the Archangels were still resident. The interesting thing is that Clyntahn had access to gear that can play them back. That sort of access was likely carefully restricted, and you needed to be at least a Vicar to get anywhere near it, and possibly the head of a great order.

I suspect the Inquisition isn't the only group that had records going way back, and the ability to view them, but without more detail from David, we have no way to know.
______
Dennis
Post by Louis R   » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

While I don't doubt that you're right, I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the Order of Schueler had sequestered all such records as part of the process of making itself the sole arbiter of doctrinal correctness. It wouldn't do to leave sources of ultimate authority in the hands of others.

BTW, did anyone else notice that Clyntahn didn't seek refuge in dismissing Merlin's recording as a 'demonic fabrication'? That would be the perfect Catch 22: either it's a fake, which means that demons can duplicate the voice and image of the holiest being ever to walk the world - so they must be even more powerful than Langhorne is, and therefore more worthy of his worship - or it's real, which means that they aren't demons and Langhorne is a fake. No wonder he was in such rough shape by hanging time :P

DMcCunney wrote:< snip >

I suspect the Inquisition isn't the only group that had records going way back, and the ability to view them, but without more detail from David, we have no way to know.
______
Dennis
Post by thanatos   » Mon May 01, 2017 11:08 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

RFC has noted that the surviving command crew were not above using holographic images of the archangels who were talking from beyond the grave. It was a way to solidify their authority in the eyes of the common folk.

Louis R wrote:While I don't doubt that you're right, I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the Order of Schueler had sequestered all such records as part of the process of making itself the sole arbiter of doctrinal correctness. It wouldn't do to leave sources of ultimate authority in the hands of others.

BTW, did anyone else notice that Clyntahn didn't seek refuge in dismissing Merlin's recording as a 'demonic fabrication'? That would be the perfect Catch 22: either it's a fake, which means that demons can duplicate the voice and image of the holiest being ever to walk the world - so they must be even more powerful than Langhorne is, and therefore more worthy of his worship - or it's real, which means that they aren't demons and Langhorne is a fake. No wonder he was in such rough shape by hanging time :P

DMcCunney wrote:< snip >

______
Dennis
Post by Erls   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

I know this is a bit late, but... I just finished the series and have a thought.

We already know that the Wylsyn's have the Key and the Verifier, along with holographic messages from the originals. We also know that within the Temple is a power source that can accept the Key, the Verifier, and hand prints.

Would it be that much of a stretch that the hand ads, when used without the Key or Verifier, result in a holographic recording of Langhorne, Schueler, Chihiro, and others to appear as proof they are Archangels? Such a secret would be extraordinarily hidden by the Inquisition, and it would make sense that seeing such a holographic video would gird someone like Clyntahn's faith that God is on HIS side.

Return to Safehold