Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

What's under the Temple? A new possibility.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: What's under the Temple? A new possibility.
Post by Keith_w   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:34 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Weird Harold wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:Maybe a sort of multi-level security
- they have Stone [check]
- they have Key [check]
- they correctly id/answer questions with console verifier [check]

I'd turn it round - why not have an independent verifier in the console - it's just tech after all, that the industrial modules could easily produce.

KISS. A built-in verifier isn't needed if the Stone is required and would be just one more point of failure.

isaac_newton wrote:One speculation, since we know this is a one shot operation, maybe the key and stone were put in the console to be kept safe/destroyed after that use?

As long as we're indulging in rampant speculation...

The lucky Wylsynn fated to activate the console puts the Stone in slot A, the Key in Slot B and then puts his (her) hands in the designated positions.

The "Altar" immediately locks the hands in position and injects specialized nanites to build a psuedo-NEAT if the LW (Lucky Wylsynn) doesn't already have one.

It decompresses the stored personality in the Key while using the brain-wave monitoring circuits in the Verifier (Stone) to download the LW personality and wiping the LW clean of any trace of personality.

Once the Psuedo-NEAT is complete, the "Altar" uploads the decompressed personality into the former LW's brain.

Hey! Presto! instant reincarnated Angel Schuler! Too bad about the LW. :(

That's a really good speculation! Thanks.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Joat42   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:55 am

Joat42
Admiral

There is one good reason why you would need both the stone and the key, they both probably supply enough information together with the descendants DNA to the computer so it can create a decryption key for the encrypted information.

Any component is useless without the others, the verifier is just a good way to hide that it is also a part of a key.

My take is that the encrypted information IS one or more stored personalities that will be downloaded into a VR-simulation upon activation and the hand indentations are also a way for the personalities to interact with whoever activated the computer.

It is a pretty good way to hide the fact that its all technological, just imagine the person activating the computer telling the others afterwards how "his soul was transported to heaven so the archangels could talk to him".

I do wonder though, what resources have the archangels squirreled away that can be used to rectify this particular scenario (the church is in danger).

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Schuler's Answer to Chohiro's Return
Post by CRC   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:25 am

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

I love this kind of speculation. So let's try this one on:

With all the tech hidden around the planet, what is under the temple is Schuler's answer to Chohiro's 1000 year return. The executables in the stone basically upload Schuler's recorded personality to the Temple systems.

The Temple systems will be activated during the 1000 year return of Chohiro (under Chohiro's control), whom was probably the one responsible for the book of Schuler and the death of Sejin Khody, and whom will probably be the primary behind the 1000 year return (in the Dawn Star) hoping to find a population easily cowed, subservient and ready to worship.

But after battling with Merlin's Fed Tech, sinking the battleships, devastating Tellesburg and most of the planet and killing Merlin, Nimue manages to sneak Paytr into the Temple and activate the Stone at which time the temples' defense system comes on-line under Schuler's control and blows the Dawn Star out of orbit.

Schuler then denounces the Langhorne doctrine, reveals the Ghaba, releases control of the Rakuri and sets the stage for the final trilogy in the series in which the new Safeholdian Terran empire takes the fight to the Ghaba.

But this takes about 3-4 books to happen...
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:46 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:Maybe a sort of multi-level security
- they have Stone [check]
- they have Key [check]
- they correctly id/answer questions with console verifier [check]

I'd turn it round - why not have an independent verifier in the console - it's just tech after all, that the industrial modules could easily produce.

KISS. A built-in verifier isn't needed if the Stone is required and would be just one more point of failure.

True, very true, but on the other hand - I suppose it might help check that the Stone had not been corrupted...

HeHe - We could spin this one out until the next book arrives :-)
Post by mhicks   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:50 pm

mhicks
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

What if the hand print reader is so that the person who activates the exe. file in the key is scanning the hand print so that instead of having to carry the key and stone around they can just use their hand to activate the rest of the tech that they will be receiving, or can use their hand to over ride the rest of the temple electronics. They knew that some one would need to activate the exe. but they had no idea what the finger print of that individual would be. Here the exe, file tells the temple computer "This hand print is the new official, follow their orders" ;)

RFC has done this before in the mutineers moon series. This is the highest ranking person... therefore they are emperor... :geek:
Post by thanatos   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:36 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

mhicks wrote:What if the hand print reader is so that the person who activates the exe. file in the key is scanning the hand print so that instead of having to carry the key and stone around they can just use their hand to activate the rest of the tech that they will be receiving, or can use their hand to over ride the rest of the temple electronics. They knew that some one would need to activate the exe. but they had no idea what the finger print of that individual would be. Here the exe, file tells the temple computer "This hand print is the new official, follow their orders" ;)

RFC has done this before in the mutineers moon series. This is the highest ranking person... therefore they are emperor... :geek:

I think Weird Harold's point is closer to my original thought. Like OWL, the system in the Temple might require human authorization, since the TF was leery of handing so much power over to computers and AI (and we can all thank Mary Shelly for introducing the concept of the Frankenstein Complex to humanity). So it is indeed possible that Schueler and Chihiro's contingency plans still required a human to be part of the scheme - Injecting the hapless Wylsynn with nanites and base materials to build the needed implants in them and then forcefully erasing their memory and personality, replacing it with a new personality (that of Schueler or Chihiro probably) and giving them the necessary technological tricks needed to appear angelic (the "aura" of the Kyousei Hai). You get a living archangel in their lifetime with the religious authority and complete control of the Temple to get anything they need done. I think that if Schueler and Chihiro were willing to stage a coup, hunt down the Fallen without mercy and write so many atrocities into the seminal religious book of the colony, they would not shy away from wiping away the personality of one person and replacing it with their own.

But mhicks reminded me of another observation I had a while ago. The Safehold series is what the Dahak series was supposed to be. It was simply that Dahak was far more fantastical and unbound with our reality that RFC decided to rewrite the basic concept into a more coherent and better anchored series. But the two series have much in common and the one element that has been absent from it is the whole "body snatching" element of Anu's mutineers. So it's not too far away to think that that element exists in the Safehold universe. And we still aren't clear as to why the Key can only be used once. In my thinking, there are only two possibilities: 1) The limited technological resources at the command crew's disposal only allowed them a single shot at stopping a true treat to the Temple; or 2) That any "return of the archangels" would allow the "archangels" to reset the Key and the Temple's systems along with any updates to their anti-technology plans, "remaking the key" to serve its purpose anew. The injunction that it could only be used once might just be there to prevent the key's frivolous use, if the Church encountered a threat it could not deal with via conventional means (such any return of the "demons" or the "fallen archangels").
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

I see you don't subscribe to the "maybe Scheuler wasn't such a bad guy after all" theories. :lol:
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:48 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:

I see you don't subscribe to the "maybe Scheuler wasn't such a bad guy after all" theories. :lol:

Nah, I just wanted to present as outrageous a speculation as I could. I very much doubt that I'm anywhere close to what RFC has planned.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by WeberFan   » Mon May 01, 2017 8:48 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:

Nope.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue May 02, 2017 6:48 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Chuckle Chuckle

Scheuler was no angel :evil: but I suspect he might have been a better person than Chihiro.

On the other hand, it would be fun to see Scheuler having to face the anger of his great, great... grandson Paytr Wylsynn. :twisted:

WeberFan wrote:
Randomiser wrote:I see you don't subscribe to the "maybe Scheuler wasn't such a bad guy after all" theories. :lol:

Nope.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]

Return to Safehold