Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Harahap's yacht's name

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Harahap's yacht's name
Post by Pjahn   » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Pjahn
Midshipman

I am working my way through Shadow of Victory and am puzzled by the name of Harahap's ship. He gave it a Macedonian name that apparently has some significance to him which is written in Cyrillic. I think the choice of name may shed some light on his character but I have no idea what the name means nor did a Macedonian colleague of mine.

Can anyone on the forum shed any light on this?
Re: Harahap's yacht's name
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:49 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Pjahn wrote:I am working my way through Shadow of Victory and am puzzled by the name of Harahap's ship. He gave it a Macedonian name that apparently has some significance to him which is written in Cyrillic. I think the choice of name may shed some light on his character but I have no idea what the name means nor did a Macedonian colleague of mine.

What would it sound like if you heard it and didn't know Macedonean?

Back when I thought it was Greek, it kind of sounded like "faker." At least to me.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:53 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Pjahn wrote:I am working my way through Shadow of Victory and am puzzled by the name of Harahap's ship. He gave it a Macedonian name that apparently has some significance to him which is written in Cyrillic. I think the choice of name may shed some light on his character but I have no idea what the name means nor did a Macedonian colleague of mine.

It means "Firebrand". I found a webpage that had translations of "firebrand" in many languages and Macedonian was included. BTW, the word is in Russian as well; there it means "torch".
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by dulsin   » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 pm

dulsin
Commander

Got to love a secret agent that keeps using the same code name over and over even after a busted operation.

It this guy James Bond? Lets leave a trail of bread crumbs for any blind intelligence analyst to follow with his seeing eye dog.

Return to Honorverse