Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 27 guests

Quick Question re: Reread

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Quick Question re: Reread
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:00 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

So, if, hypothetically speaking, I were to start a re-read of the entire series (aka 'with OBS'), would anyone at all be interested for me to liveblog as I go along?

I'd probably liveblog into a Word doc and then post at the end of each book - or chapter, as that would probably enhance discussions - but if anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Cheers, Rose
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Re: Quick Question re: Reread
Post by Theemile   » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:So, if, hypothetically speaking, I were to start a re-read of the entire series (aka 'with OBS'), would anyone at all be interested for me to liveblog as I go along?

I'd probably liveblog into a Word doc and then post at the end of each book - or chapter, as that would probably enhance discussions - but if anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Cheers, Rose

What would you be bloging about Rose? Your progress? Your reactions? Salient story points? Tech? Errors? That missing fact or happenstance we've all seemed to miss or forgotten?

As you know, different items will attract different readers.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:19 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
roseandheather wrote:So, if, hypothetically speaking, I were to start a re-read of the entire series (aka 'with OBS'), would anyone at all be interested for me to liveblog as I go along?

Cheers, Rose

What would you be bloging about Rose? Your progress? Your reactions? Salient story points? Tech? Errors? That missing fact or happenstance we've all seemed to miss or forgotten?

As you know, different items will attract different readers.

Any and all of the above, pretty much. (Well, except the tech. I don't "get" the tech the way many of this forum's denizens do, and grasp it only in the most basic sense. I'm sure I'll talk about technical developments, but don't expect any critique or error-spotting because my attitude to all this stuff is "I assume it does what Weber says it will do." :D )

But there'll probably be a lot of reflections on character development, and story threads, and a lot of political analysis with the benefit of story-hindsight. I haven't read the whole series through in... oh, god, years (there are only so many times I can endure Lovat in one lifetime, after all) so I think it might be cool to take a look back at "how we got here" from where we are now, especially because HiV (...that's.... wow, that's kind of an unfortunate abbreviation, not gonna lie) is coming out next year.
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:47 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Might be interesting, and I can relate for "not getting the tech". I admit I pretty much glaze over when we start seeing large masses of acceleration/heading data, especially when it skips back and forth between KPS, KPS^2, and X gravities.

If everything were kept to just one definition, it'd be easier imo, but when it changes in the same paragraph, let alone the same report sentence, it's hard to keep in mind relativity. Especially when it's a SLN officer reporting acceleration in gravities, and the captain or watch officer is busy thinking how the Manties are faster than they are in kps^2.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:36 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:Might be interesting, and I can relate for "not getting the tech". I admit I pretty much glaze over when we start seeing large masses of acceleration/heading data, especially when it skips back and forth between KPS, KPS^2, and X gravities.

If everything were kept to just one definition, it'd be easier imo, but when it changes in the same paragraph, let alone the same report sentence, it's hard to keep in mind relativity. Especially when it's a SLN officer reporting acceleration in gravities, and the captain or watch officer is busy thinking how the Manties are faster than they are in kps^2.
Yep, that can be confusing and even David screws those up every once in a while and gives an acceleration that's that 100 times off because he thought gees and wrote KPS^2 (or vice versa)

[Since 1 KPS^2 is roughly 100 times quicker than 1g; actually 98 times -- 1000 m/s^2 vs 9.8 m/s^2. But its easier to mentally slide things back or forth 2 decimal places for a quick compare]

However back on topic I'd be interested to see roseandheather's thoughts as she rereads the series -- it might give me more appreciation of the character development that I've missed or forgotten by getting bogged down in some of the technical details to fill time between books.
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

always interested to hear what other thought of the books.

might stir up some good debate not centred on subjects that should have died after 5 pages let alone 40
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:25 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Let me add my endorsement. Your insights are always, shall we say, insightful.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:46 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Well, it sounds like there's at least enough interest to get a good discussion going! :mrgreen:

I have some stuff to deal with this week, but I'll probably start OBS on Saturday (the day before Easter Sunday, just to clarify)!

Really looking forward to this! Thanks for the nice words guys :D
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by SharkHunter   » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:02 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

roseandheather wrote:Well, it sounds like there's at least enough interest to get a good discussion going! :mrgreen:

I have some stuff to deal with this week, but I'll probably start OBS on Saturday (the day before Easter Sunday, just to clarify)!

Really looking forward to this! Thanks for the nice words guys :D
I'll do you one better if you can get a domain name or some form of Weber-esque permission, aka will help you set up a wordpress blog and make it purty, etc.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all

Return to Honorverse