Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Current series similar to War God

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Current series similar to War God
Post by Paulholm   » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:29 am

Paulholm
Midshipman

Question. Have heard a little buzz that the Sword of the South Sequel is being thought about which is great, just re-read the whole series in order, again! Having been pretty hard core SciFi all my life, with a tip toe through Fantasy, Does anybody have recommendations for another author's series "out there" similar to War God, NOT to replace, of course, but to supplement! Thanks!
Re: Current series similar to War God
Post by kjn   » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:24 pm

kjn
Midshipman

Depends a little on what you appreciate in the books; the series mixes several different elements that might be common in and of themselves, but seldom are combined. But here are some suggestions with notes why.

The Conan stories by Robert E. Howard (don't bother with the later sequels by other authors). The original mighty-thewed barbarian wanders around civilisation stories, at least in modern fantasy. Bahzell owes a lot to Conan, IMO.

Phoenix Rising and its two sequels by Ryk E. Spoor. Another paladin origin and adventure story in a highly magical world inspired by D&D. Less gritty and more idealistic than much modern fantasy.

God Stalk and sequels by P.C. Hodgell. Has a similar fish-out-of-water feel as the Bahzell stories, though for entirely different reasons, and political manoeuvres are also prominent. Manages to mix adventure and high drama with sudden slapstick.

Daggerspell and the other Deverry novels by Katharine Kerr. Lots of novels in the series, which I sadly think lost direction at around book 9-10 or so. However, each set of four novels constitute a finished story arch each. Uses reincarnation to good storytelling effect, in a very gritty (but far from grimdark) fantasy world.

The Paksennarion books by Elizabeth Moon. Another set of paladin stories in a world inspired by D&D. I wouldn't be surprised if these were a major inspiration for David Weber's Bahzell stories.

Last, of course, The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, if you haven't read them already. Not that similar to the Bahzell books, but you can see the heritage they left behind in all modern secondary world fantasy, if you look.
Post by kjn   » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:25 pm

kjn
Midshipman

Depends a little on what you appreciate in the books; the series mixes several different elements that might be common in and of themselves, but seldom are combined. But here are some suggestions with notes why.

The Conan stories by Robert E. Howard (don't bother with the later sequels by other authors). The original mighty-thewed barbarian wanders around civilisation stories, at least in modern fantasy. Bahzell owes a lot to Conan, IMO.

Phoenix Rising and its two sequels by Ryk E. Spoor. Another paladin origin and adventure story in a highly magical world inspired by D&D. Less gritty and more idealistic than much modern fantasy.

God Stalk and sequels by P.C. Hodgell. Has a similar fish-out-of-water feel as the Bahzell stories, though for entirely different reasons, and political manoeuvres are also prominent. Manages to mix adventure and high drama with sudden slapstick.

Daggerspell and the other Deverry novels by Katharine Kerr. Lots of novels in the series, which I sadly think lost direction at around book 9-10 or so. However, each set of four novels constitute a finished story arch each. Uses reincarnation to good storytelling effect, in a very gritty (but far from grimdark) fantasy world.

The Paksennarion books by Elizabeth Moon. Another set of paladin stories in a world inspired by D&D. I wouldn't be surprised if these were a major inspiration for David Weber's Bahzell stories.

Last, of course, The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, if you haven't read them already. Not that similar to the Bahzell books, but you can see the heritage they left behind in all modern secondary world fantasy, if you look.
Post by Paulholm   » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Paulholm
Midshipman

[quote="kjn"]Depends a little on what you appreciate in the books; the series mixes several different elements that might be common in and of themselves, but seldom are combined. But here are some suggestions with notes why.

Thanks for the reply. I read all of Elizabeth moon's books but not the Paksennarion series, I'll have to try it out. I can also check out Spoor on Baen.com for samples, to see if it 'clicks.
Primarily on the War God World, I love the humor, sidekicks, etc., the interaction and the Good vs. Evil with Good finally working it out to the chagrin to Evil. The Pillars of Reality series by Jack Campbell is a great series with all that.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:19 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Paulholm wrote:Primarily on the War God World, I love the humor, sidekicks, etc., the interaction and the Good vs. Evil with Good finally working it out to the chagrin to Evil.

Faffryd and the Grey Mouser (series by Fritz Leiber) has a lot of that feel. The series is a bit dated, but still a fun read.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by kjn   » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:43 am

kjn
Midshipman

Paulholm wrote:Thanks for the reply. I read all of Elizabeth moon's books but not the Paksennarion series, I'll have to try it out. I can also check out Spoor on Baen.com for samples, to see if it 'clicks.
Primarily on the War God World, I love the humor, sidekicks, etc., the interaction and the Good vs. Evil with Good finally working it out to the chagrin to Evil. The Pillars of Reality series by Jack Campbell is a great series with all that.

Definitely try Hodgell and Spoor then. Hodgell surrounds Jame with sidekicks with a mind very much their own, and for Spoor who is the sidekick depends on who you ask.

Even Kyri, serious though she was, could not keep a straight face as Poplock leapt onto Tobimar's head and struck a grandiose pose. "Indeed, behold the next of the true Justiciars of Myrionar, and my trusty steed!"

Hodgell is also available on Baen nowadays.
Post by Louis R   » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

In fairness to Himself, this is unlikely unless they were gaming together in the early '80s.

Orfressa is a place that Himself was using as a game setting long before Paks saw her first book cover.

kjn wrote:< snip >

Post by Peter2   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:47 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

I thoroughly enjoyed Raymond E Feist's first 3 books "Magician", "Silverthorn", and "A Darkness at Sethanon". The first one reads like a novelisation of a role-playing game, the second of a quest adventure, and the third of a war game. I found the style of the first one a bit ragged (I thought it possible Feist might still have been learning his trade, so to speak), but he had things well under control by the time he wrote "Silverthorn".

I also enjoyed the collaboration between Feist and Janny Wurtz that resulted in three of the best political thrillers I ever remember, "Daughter of Empire", "Servant of Empire" and "Mistress of Empire"; three stories allied to the three above.

They are fantasy, but not really similar to the War God books — except in the amount of pleasure they've given me. Tastes differ so there's no guarantee that you'll like them, but if you've not read them, I recommend you give them a go.
Post by robert132   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:38 am

robert132
Captain of the List

I've been a sci-fi and fantasy reader all my life as well, cutting my teeth on Lester del Ray, Asimov, Arthur C Clarke and a host of others.

Currently I'm reading for the first time "The Camulod Chronicles" series by Jack Whyte, recommended to me by my wife who is also a die-hard sci-fi / fantasy fan.

No "sorcery" per-se, but a "how it coulda been" look at how the Arthur, Merlyn, Excalibur legend came about as seen through the eyes of Centurion Publius Varus and later Caius Merlyn Britannicus during and after Rome's withdrawal from Britain.

I'm about to finish Book Five and it's been a pretty good read so far. The first book in the series is entitled "Skystone."

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Daryl   » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:06 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I'm currently rereading the War God series, and your comment prompted me to check something that has been niggling me for some time.
I wondered if Dylan's "All along the Watchtower" was based on the Faffryd and Grey Mouser series, so just did some googling. Half right, The series is based on the song.
My sense of artistic appreciation is now reassured, thanks.
Weird Harold wrote:
Paulholm wrote:Primarily on the War God World, I love the humor, sidekicks, etc., the interaction and the Good vs. Evil with Good finally working it out to the chagrin to Evil.

Faffryd and the Grey Mouser (series by Fritz Leiber) has a lot of that feel. The series is a bit dated, but still a fun read.

Return to War God