Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Self proclaimed one-liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Self proclaimed one-liners
Post by Louis R   » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Sounds good. Unfortunately, they really are synonyms - looting is done forcibly as often as not, pillage doesn't require force if there's no resistance [i.e. the force has already been applied successfully :twisted: ]

Or to put it another way, the OED uses each as part of the definition of the other.

Imaginos1892 wrote:Looting is stealing stuff and hauling it away with you. With or without violence.

Pillaging is destruction - razing buildings, breaking dams, polluting wells, flooding fields, and otherwise making it hard for the enemy to use their resources even after your rampaging horde has left the area.

Arson could be considered part of pillaging, but it denies the resources to your horde immediately, so it's best saved for last.

Hey! Looting is tactical, pillaging is strategic.
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I certainly like everyone's definition much better than my own, but maintain that even though they may be laxly used synonymously, bear an innate difference depending on the circumstances, i.e., if both cases are adjudicated in a modern court of law, looting would carry with it a charge of simple robbery depending on the value of the looted booty and pillaging would carry a charge of aggravated/armed robbery thus guaranteeing felony charges.

In the olden days of "an eye for an eye" looting would get your hand cut off, but pillaging?... "Off with his head!"

Louis R wrote:Sounds good. Unfortunately, they really are synonyms - looting is done forcibly as often as not, pillage doesn't require force if there's no resistance [i.e. the force has already been applied successfully :twisted: ]

Or to put it another way, the OED uses each as part of the definition of the other.

Imaginos1892 wrote:Looting is stealing stuff and hauling it away with you. With or without violence.

Pillaging is destruction - razing buildings, breaking dams, polluting wells, flooding fields, and otherwise making it hard for the enemy to use their resources even after your rampaging horde has left the area.

Arson could be considered part of pillaging, but it denies the resources to your horde immediately, so it's best saved for last.

Hey! Looting is tactical, pillaging is strategic.

Last edited by cthia on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Revenge by virtue of a dish served ice-cold warms our cold-hearted belly. —cthia

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I suppose that could very well be little Victoria's secret, that one day her knickers aren't going to get a laugh out of you anymore, but a rise.

Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

One of my brothers to his French Canadian wife...

"Honey, why do Americans own so many guns?"

"Because we own 100 % of the American pie and everyone wants a slice of it."

Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:56 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

If two words mean the same thing, how can one of them be offensive and the other one not?

From a story I'm writing:

“Relax. You’ve been acting so weird for so long nobody would be surprised at anything you do.”
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:33 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The "insophisticate" redresses itself.

Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I've got a brother that is slated to be single for the duration of his life and he likes it that way. He was visiting last night with a bunch of mutual friends and we were all watching Duke win the clash of the ACC Blues, Duke vs UNC. My brother interjected into a conversation and made a very salient point and an extremely sexy redhead who has been friends of the family since we were kids ribbed him...

"I didn't know you were so smart. Why have you been hiding your intelligence?"

"Smart guys don't get laid, Rachel. I'd much rather play dumb and be well satiated, than smart and horny. Holding my testicles in one hand and my book smarts in the other, I'd much rather the books tip the scales by far!"

My wife spit her champagne all over me, which makes us even.

Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Opinions are priceless. It's the opinionated that gets on your nerves.

Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:04 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

A really really good book is a book that you can get a lot out of even if you read it upside down... BUT DO TURN THE S O B RIGHT SIDE UP WON'T YA!

Return to Free-Range Topics...