Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

Grayson Classical Music

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Grayson Classical Music
Post by saber964   » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:30 pm

saber964
Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if, in the aftermath of the second battle of Yeltsin's Star that Hammerwell is extremely popular on Grayson.
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if, in the aftermath of the second battle of Yeltsin's Star that Hammerwell is extremely popular on Grayson.

Interesting. I agree.

I've always imagined Hammerwell to both "hath charm to soothe the savage beast" or "urge him on."

A very complex piece.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:I played around on Youtube and collected a playlist that might well describe how a Western song could go from "Classic" to "Classical"

Evolution of Grayson Classical

(The first version is from the late 1940's, the last is 21st century. total 18 versions of the same song for about 40 minutes of listening)

Brilliance!

I listened to all 18 in their entirety. It was an addictive and pleasant experience. Absolutely incredible Harold. I think you just blew the premise right out of the airlock. I can certainly jump on this bandwagon. Very nice job. It retains the classical-like arrangements throughout, remains friendly to Grayson posh dress and also retains the potential for the powerful hard hitting lyrics that would be conducive to uplifting a culture living a hard environmental life—as a thought pointed out by Annachie.

Weird Harold wrote:Ghost Riders was easy, but about half of Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristoferson, and Johny Cash's discographies can be treated the same way -- to some extent.

I do think you over-emphasize "posh dress" and full orchestration. I is likely that "Grayson Classical" evolved from "Hee Haw" style "Pickin' and Grinnin" with Guitar, Banjo, Fiddle/Violin and Austin Grayson's favorite playlist of "Willy Waylon and the Boys" including "easy listening arrangements." I suspect there was a lot of genre cross-over as well, with C&W stars covering pop, (50's) Rock, Folk and Gospel tunes. It's possible that the Grand Ol' Opry had a significant role in the evolution of "Grayson Classical."

I do think you over-emphasize "posh dress" and full orchestration.
I admit to being guilty of that, but only if I am. I'm certainly open to the possibility that some Freudian undercurrent is at work in my psyche. And if I am guilty, I'm guilty with explanation LOL...

It is that ever present human element again:

1. I think a lot of people are failing to apply the correct weight of Grayson's religious indoctrination to the effect it most certainly had on the development of their music.

2. The human element. I have 3389 records on vinyl. Vinyl is final. It is an immaculate collection that I treasure. Each record has only been played a few times. I would always immediately record the songs and archive the record. I never allowed anyone to handle them, not even siblings. When removing them even today, they are still subject to the static buildup that you always got with new records. You can still use them as mirrors.

Many are collector's items, very valuable "single" albums. Every time I move, buy a new home, whatever, my music collection is amongst my first considerations. I also have a wonderful assortment of priceless sheet music -- also collector's items and also very valuable.

Having said all of that, I find it imperative to apply the human element to the Diaspora. People would naturally want to take their valuables. Priceless music collections would have been very important and difficult to leave behind, especially since they were priceless and would become moreso off-planet.

Vinyl, the media of which most music began, is also the native media on which these pieces were meant to be heard. Even today, digital recordings cannot accomplish the tonal warmth and depth of the older vacuum tubes.

Original sheet music, also collector's items, are invaluable as well. Priceless even. BUT, sheet music can only reproduce the arrangements, they cannot reproduce the instruments these arrangements were meant to be played on. Artisans who make string instruments—violins, stradivarius, violas, cellos, pianos—have been doing it for decades, passed down from centuries of cultivating their craft. Most have the trade handed down generation unto generation. Exacting methods and materials are used. Not just any old wood will do. And most are processes that cannot be rushed or duplicated en masse by machines. It matters. Simply having sheet music isn't enough without being able to accurately reproduce the instrument in which it was meant to be heard.

At the end of the generarion ship's journey, the kinds of music that would have survived the trip, indeed even have been taken on the trip would have been the priceless traditional composers like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Handel and others that were valuable. Collector's items. Investments. The same with sheet music.

Country and Western, coming out of Nashville are responsible for producing some very valuable collector's items as well. Same with your notion, which I like, of the Grand Ole Opry.

Remember, these are generation ships but there are many other people besides yourself. Most likely one had to pack the generation ship equivalent of "light."

Where is everyone going to put all of their shit?!

So the kinds of music I think would have survived are the kinds of music that had value - the human element according to cthia.

A little more on Grayson "posh dress." There are many elements of a Grayson woman that came through crystal clear to me. What Grayson women endured early on - and the Masadan women still do - shaped who they are. It would be little wonder if Grayson women met with the same therapist Nimitz should be seeing. A fact that explains why they are so revered now in their society, somewhat symptomatic of the Grayson man's guilt. A chivalrous quality that should be expected from a "faithful." But I digress.

A Grayson woman is the epitome of charm. Each Grayson woman can hold her own with any Queen of England. In fact, IMHO, the Queen may be outdone. When Honor was being dressed, Grayson "posh dress" was simply too much for her. Honor couldn't pull it off and they had to create a style all her own. It is instilled within the DNA of the Grayson woman. It isn't simply "posh" by way of dress, but "posh" by way of mind. It is who every Grayson woman is. Without which, she is NOT Grayson.

A Grayson woman does not accessorize with posh dress.

Posh dress accessorizes with a Grayson woman.

or if you prefer the more recognized version...

Posh dress does not make the Grayson woman.

The Grayson woman makes the posh dress.

All IMHO, and certainly not written in stone.

I still like your arrangements, insight and hard work so much Harold that it has been selected for the Honorverse Best Seller List.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:08 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Remember, these are generation ships but there are many other people besides yourself. Most likely one had to pack the generation ship equivalent of "light."

The Manticoran Colony ship was a Cryogenic Sleep ship, NOT a generation ship.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:18 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Remember, these are generation ships but there are many other people besides yourself. Most likely one had to pack the generation ship equivalent of "light."

The Manticoran Colony ship was a Cryogenic Sleep ship, NOT a generation ship.

Shannon ::OOPS:: Foraker!

P O D S storage bins included.

Post by saber964   » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm

saber964
Admiral

You are forgetting that some very important things. First we don't know what kind of storage methods will evolve over the centuries. Look what has happened in the RW with computer storage methods just in the past 20-30 years. 30 years ago when I wanted to take a book on a airplane I carried maybe two or three books. Now with my kindle I can haul around the equivalent of a small library (300 books). Who knows what the near future will bring. I could be hauling the digital equivalent of the NYC public library on my phone or a couple of thumb drives. IIRC wasn't there a story in one of the anthologies that they were trying to get banned books off Earth or out system.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:You are forgetting that some very important things. First we don't know what kind of storage methods will evolve over the centuries. Look what has happened in the RW with computer storage methods just in the past 20-30 years. 30 years ago when I wanted to take a book on a airplane I carried maybe two or three books. Now with my kindle I can haul around the equivalent of a small library (300 books). Who knows what the near future will bring. I could be hauling the digital equivalent of the NYC public library on my phone or a couple of thumb drives. IIRC wasn't there a story in one of the anthologies that they were trying to get banned books off Earth or out system.

Micro SD cards max out around 256GB now, or roughly 35 TB/in^3. That is over 1/2 a million hours of mp3 audio or 15,000 hours of DVD video in that cubic inch.

From what I've seen, quadrupling that data density is just believed to be engineering, so fitting 150 terabytes in a small ring box may be possible within the next few years.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by robert132   » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 am

robert132
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote:
Micro SD cards max out around 256GB now, or roughly 35 TB/in^3. That is over 1/2 a million hours of mp3 audio or 15,000 hours of DVD video in that cubic inch.

From what I've seen, quadrupling that data density is just believed to be engineering, so fitting 150 terabytes in a small ring box may be possible within the next few years.

Actually an SD card isn't a cubic inch in size (1"x1"x1".) It's less than 1"x.5"x.2" (my guestimate.)

Your 150 Tb, a 1" cube (small ring box) wouldn't shock me in the least. I've seen a lot of computer power "growth" in my 63 laps around Sol. The main limiting factor today might well be cooling, even memory chips generate some heat when being accessed though not much in comparison to the CPU chips.

"Room temperature" superconductors would be so useful.

Imagine what could be done with the space the computer core of HMS Invictus would take up. :o

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by WinterFlames   » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:54 am

WinterFlames
Ensign

Was there not a swimming scheme where Grayson music was mentioned some time after or during War Of Honor?

Return to Honorverse