Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: George J. Smith, Google [Bot] and 43 guests

THE C R U S H E R

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: THE C R U S H E R
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Or rather, in Young's case, not "too important to dismiss" inasmuch as too difficult to cut through the red tape of the NH-Files. LOL

:idea: SANTINO! :idea:

Somehow Young had to have relieved Elvis Santino! Can't you just hear the excitement of Dame Estelle at the fact that "Elvis has finally left the building!" LOL

Except for the niggling little detail that the drunken wiki had that little fact stricken from the record.

I still have a lingering suspicion that Young's incompetence would have broadcasted itself. Wherever he was sent he would have been meddling. He's superior than mere baseborns in his mind. For example, he probably didn't first begin thinking that he could rearrange system traffic better than the people who have been doing it forever with his trip to Basilisk. I'm willing to bet he tried that schit elsewhere, and may even have gotten away with it with someone afraid of his clout by proxy. Which would have made its way back to the powers that be.

"He did what?! Arranged traffic how?!"

"Either you get this SOB out of my hair, or you've got my resignation! Which is included with this communiqué in advance!"

Santino would, I think, have been senior to Young; so Young wouldn't normally relieve him. But I love the idea that Santino might have been stuck in Basilisk when Warlock first arrived. (And then would have to have left no later than when Young defaulted to picket commander)

Well, when I say relieve, I mean that Santino had done the time for his crime and his exile was up.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Or rather, in Young's case, not "too important to dismiss" inasmuch as too difficult to cut through the red tape of the NH-Files. LOL

:idea: SANTINO! :idea:

Somehow Young had to have relieved Elvis Santino! Can't you just hear the excitement of Dame Estelle at the fact that "Elvis has finally left the building!" LOL

Except for the niggling little detail that the drunken wiki had that little fact stricken from the record.

I still have a lingering suspicion that Young's incompetence would have broadcasted itself. Wherever he was sent he would have been meddling. He's superior than mere baseborns in his mind. For example, he probably didn't first begin thinking that he could rearrange system traffic better than the people who have been doing it forever with his trip to Basilisk. I'm willing to bet he tried that schit elsewhere, and may even have gotten away with it with someone afraid of his clout by proxy. Which would have made its way back to the powers that be.

"He did what?! Arranged traffic how?!"

"Either you get this SOB out of my hair, or you've got my resignation! Which is included with this communiqué in advance!"

Santino would, I think, have been senior to Young; so Young wouldn't normally relieve him. But I love the idea that Santino might have been stuck in Basilisk when Warlock first arrived. (And then would have to have left no later than when Young defaulted to picket commander)
cthia wrote:Well, when I say relieve, I mean that Santino had done the time for his crime and his exile was up.

Is it possible that Harold Styles was there when Young arrived and with his exile being complete he was reassigned to the post that led to his capture?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Is it possible that Harold Styles was there when Young arrived and with his exile being complete he was reassigned to the post that led to his capture?

Unlikely.

Styles was a rear admiral and I don't think Basilisk was "important" enough for even a disgraced RA. It would be improbable for someone to be promoted out of Basilisk Station.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by drothgery   » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:07 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Is it possible that Harold Styles was there when Young arrived and with his exile being complete he was reassigned to the post that led to his capture?

Unlikely.

Styles was a rear admiral and I don't think Basilisk was "important" enough for even a disgraced RA. It would be improbable for someone to be promoted out of Basilisk Station.
Well, some time passed between OBS and SVW, but I can't imagine Styles jumping more than one rank in that period, and I can't see even a Commodore in Basilisk.
Post by robert132   » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

drothgery wrote:
Well, some time passed between OBS and SVW, but I can't imagine Styles jumping more than one rank in that period, and I can't see even a Commodore in Basilisk.

Certainly not a Commodore by rank at least.

Of course, by courtesy (even though he didn't rate it) when Fearless reported and before he abandoned, er departed his post Young as senior officer rated the title of Commodore even though he was Captain by rank.

Of course I can think of a few other titles he rated, none of them complimentary. 8-)

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Rincewind   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:What is so crushing about the Advanced Tactical Course aka The Crusher? Is there some form of legend?

What is some of the criteria you imagine to be found in the Crusher?

Word problems such as...

1) If you are outnumbered in hulls 2 to 1 and you have the advantage in missile range of X, and ship acceleration is X, and max enemy accel is X, then at what range should you engage?

2) What plot should you settle on to intercept bogey 1 if vector is x and accel is x and your position and accel relative is x?

Courses such as...

1) Astrophysics, Aeronautical Engineering? Mechanical Engineering.

2) Orbital Mechanics.

I'm thinking about taking on the copper-plated Cordelia Ransom next semester but I hear the dropout rate is staggering. :lol:

I always thought that it was based on the Royal Navy's Submarine Commanding Officer's Training Course which is called the Perisher. It is called that because you only get one attempt at it & if you fail your career within the Submarine Service 'Perishes' never to be resurrected.

I imagined RFC just changed the name slightly.
Post by saber964   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:47 pm

saber964
Admiral

Rincewind wrote:
cthia wrote:What is so crushing about the Advanced Tactical Course aka The Crusher? Is there some form of legend?

What is some of the criteria you imagine to be found in the Crusher?

Word problems such as...

1) If you are outnumbered in hulls 2 to 1 and you have the advantage in missile range of X, and ship acceleration is X, and max enemy accel is X, then at what range should you engage?

2) What plot should you settle on to intercept bogey 1 if vector is x and accel is x and your position and accel relative is x?

Courses such as...

1) Astrophysics, Aeronautical Engineering? Mechanical Engineering.

2) Orbital Mechanics.

I'm thinking about taking on the copper-plated Cordelia Ransom next semester but I hear the dropout rate is staggering. :lol:

I always thought that it was based on the Royal Navy's Submarine Commanding Officer's Training Course which is called the Perisher. It is called that because you only get one attempt at it & if you fail your career within the Submarine Service 'Perishes' never to be resurrected.

Militaries all over the world have advanced training schools. That are necessary for advancement in their various branches.
Like the USAF's fighter weapons school combat crewmen school and general staff school.
Post by Rincewind   » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:04 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

saber964 wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

Militaries all over the world have advanced training schools. That are necessary for advancement in their various branches.
Like the USAF's fighter weapons school combat crewmen school and general staff school.

I know that militaries all over the world have advanced courses; (The Navy Fighter Weapon School or Topgun being an obvious example). I was just using the example of the Perisher as to where David Weber drew inspiration for the name of the Crusher & why it might be called that.

Remember, David Weber is no mean Naval Historian in his own right; (see his Pearls of Weber posts for some examples) & he does not limit his inspiration to the most well known examples.

Return to Honorverse