Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

Grayson Classical Music

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Grayson Classical Music
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:09 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:Seeing as rfc has stated that Grayson classical music is based on (or derived from) C&W, which bands/artists (1960s to present)signature sounds do the readers think would be what we could expect to hear?

We have one example, that I recall, of Grayson Classical:

Ashes of Victory wrote:Chapter Forty-Three
"Bleek!"
Honor looked away from her heads-up display and grinned as Nimitz registered his protest. The 'cat was curled into his own, custom-designed flight couch, mounted beside hers on Jamie Candless' flight deck, and his ears were half-flat as the plaintive strains of one of her flight engineer's favorite songs wafted over the runabout's speakers.

"Mommas, don't let you babies grow up to be spacers . . ."

She listened for a moment, then sent a wave of agreement back to the treecat. Wayne Alexander had settled in quite nicely on Grayson. Better in some ways, in fact, than Honor would ever have anticipated. He seemed fascinated by the tenets of the Church of Humanity Unchained, and she suspected he might well convert to the Grayson faith in the not too distant future.

Not that he didn't retain a goodly number of rough edges. The intractability and stubborn intellectual honesty which had gotten him sent to Hell in the first place were still very much a part of him, and he loved a vigorous debate. That much the Graysons found good, for it was a fundamental part of their natures, too, as they applied the doctrine of the Test to their lives. What drove some of his new neighbors absolutely mad, however, was his ability to argue both sides of any question, often in the same debate, with perfectly good cheer, just to keep things moving in suitably lively fashion.

But one part of Grayson's culture which he'd adopted enthusiastically was its classical music, which was based on something from Old Earth which had once been called "Country and Western." Honor had been rather taken aback by it when she first met it, and it had taken her years to acquire any true taste for it. By now, she was actually quite fond of certain composers, but Alexander's allegiance was given to the Primitive School, and she'd never much cared for the Primitives.

" . . . spacers love smokey old bar rooms and clear crystal vacuum . . ."

"Sorry, Stinker," she told Nimitz under her breath, "but I did tell him he could program the entertainment banks." The 'cat gave her a pained look, and she grinned. "All right. All right! I'll talk to him about it, promise!"

Nimitz sniffed and groomed his whiskers at her, and she chuckled, then turned back to her controls.

The Highwaymen could serve as a model for the "Primitives" but the implication is that more "Modern" C&W is the inspiration for mainstream "Grayson classical"

Harold, I think this would be exactly what to expect. Listening closely you can hear the classical-like arrangement of the strings. And it can be danced to in gowns.

I really don't know why Stinker wouldn't like it. Hmm, I wonder if it is the emotion behind the song that Stinker doesn't like? OTOH, if Nimitz doesn't like C&W, what does it say about his IQ? :mrgreen:

Is Nimitz more "The Ride of the Valkyries" sort of a cat?

Of course, if the later more sinister images of Nimitz which are more akin to the Hounds...err Cats of the Baskervilles stick, then he certainly would be more partial to the deathride type of arrangements with his claws extended, Honor grimacing in pain and Nimitz foaming at the mouth! LOL

I can't help wondering - if I was bonded in present day times - what radio station would be the most probable compromise between cat and I.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:01 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:The Highwaymen could serve as a model for the "Primitives" but the implication is that more "Modern" C&W is the inspiration for mainstream "Grayson classical"

Harold, I think this would be exactly what to expect. Listening closely you can hear the classical-like arrangement of the strings. And it can be danced to in gowns.

I played around on Youtube and collected a playlist that might well describe how a Western song could go from "Classic" to "Classical"

Evolution of Grayson Classical

(The first version is from the late 1940's, the last is 21st century. total 18 versions of the same song for about 40 minutes of listening)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:The Highwaymen could serve as a model for the "Primitives" but the implication is that more "Modern" C&W is the inspiration for mainstream "Grayson classical"

Weird Harold wrote:I played around on Youtube and collected a playlist that might well describe how a Western song could go from "Classic" to "Classical"

(The first version is from the late 1940's, the last is 21st century. total 18 versions of the same song for about 40 minutes of listening)

Brilliance!

I listened to all 18 in their entirety. It was an addictive and pleasant experience. Absolutely incredible Harold. I think you just blew the premise right out of the airlock. I can certainly jump on this bandwagon. Very nice job. It retains the classical-like arrangements throughout, remains friendly to Grayson posh dress and also retains the potential for the powerful hard hitting lyrics that would be conducive to uplifting a culture living a hard environmental life—as a thought pointed out by Annachie.

It even morphed into the marching sound of a High School band. I really enjoyed the Crickettes's version. The latter more traditional orchestral arrangements are also quite wonderful. Delightful. Innovative. I'm literally gob smacked. Again, very well done Harold. Actually, I feel as if I've just attended a classical concert without the bow tie and a pretty girl on my arm.

"Honeeey! Where are you?!"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:02 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:I played around on Youtube and collected a playlist that might well describe how a Western song could go from "Classic" to "Classical"

Brilliance!

I listened to all 18 in their entirety. It was an addictive and pleasant experience. Absolutely incredible Harold. I think you just blew the premise right out of the airlock. I can certainly jump on this bandwagon. Very nice job. It retains the classical-like arrangements throughout, remains friendly to Grayson posh dress and also retains the potential for the powerful hard hitting lyrics that would be conducive to uplifting a culture living a hard environmental life—as a thought pointed out by Annachie.

Ghost Riders was easy, but about half of Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristoferson, and Johny Cash's discographies can be treated the same way -- to some extent.

I do think you over-emphasize "posh dress" and full orchestration. I is likely that "Grayson Classical" evolved from "Hee Haw" style "Pickin' and Grinnin" with Guitar, Banjo, Fiddle/Violin and Austin Grayson's favorite playlist of "Willy Waylon and the Boys" including "easy listening arrangements." I suspect there was a lot of genre cross-over as well, with C&W stars covering pop, (50's) Rock, Folk and Gospel tunes. It's possible that the Grand Ol' Opry had a significant role in the evolution of "Grayson Classical."

Post by kzt   » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:43 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The starting point for Grayson is hundreds of years in the future. There a very limited number of songs that were popular in 1917 that are commonly played today, much less 1817. Popular music goes through cycles inside a given genre on the scale of a decade or less, with other larger scale cycles where new genres appear or sometimes largely disappear that take decades. Big band was the core of popular music in the 40s. Tom Lehrer has a live recoding in the early 60s where he makes a joke about "rock and roll and other children's music". The major trends in country now are unlikely to be going on in 20 years, much less 100.
Post by Daryl   » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:36 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

We are postulating an awful lot on a couple of casual throw away lines by RFC. Still a good discussion though.
I tend to like most music, except HipBop/Rap, and what I call the hick C&W that if you play backwards your dog comes back to life, your pickup isn't crashed and Betty Loo loves you again.
Cash, Jennings, Nelson, Kristofferson and others had something original and fresh, while Dylan in Nashville Skyline showed how it could be done, however much C&W around now has about three tunes that are tweaked just enough to sound marginally different.
I'd agree with others here that, in the hypothetical Honorverse though, the origins of Grayson music would be quite different to what is called C&W today.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:The major trends in country now are unlikely to be going on in 20 years, much less 100.

Daryl wrote:I'd agree with others here that, in the hypothetical Honorverse though, the origins of Grayson music would be quite different to what is called C&W today.

The singular example of "Grayson Classical" in textev says you're both on the wrong tack.

Regardless of what popular trends and genre definitions might be in the future, Austin Grayson was obviously a fan of Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings and what might be considered "Retro-Country" even 40 years ago. (Don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys was written in 1975 and the album Waylon and Williewas released in 1978.)

Modern Classical music is from original preserved on paper and nobody alive now has any idea what Franz Lizt sounded like, or exactly what pitch his fans screamed at as they acted like 1960-ish Beatles fan-girls. Thanks to the invention of the camera, phonograph, magnetic media, and Laser-disc/DVD/blu-ray, Grayson's pioneers likely had not only sheet music, but the descendant of YouTube so they could not only play the music, but see and hear the origins of their classical music.

Another point to consider is that Grayson was founded by anti-technology fanatics. I suspect their taste in music would run to acoustic instruments and probably barely tolerates amplification for large venues.

Post by Annachie   » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Grayson mores and culture would give an interesting twist to "Jolene" :)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:00 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Grayson mores and culture would give an interesting twist to "Jolene" :)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Jolene had Musical Surgery.

Jolene before Masadan Exile.

Jolene after Masadan Exile.

This is a very interesting thought, Annachie!

Jolene
Dolly Parton

Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene
I'm begging of you please don't take my man
Please don't take him just because you can
Your beauty is beyond compare
With flaming locks of auburn hair
With ivory skin and eyes of emerald green
Your smile is like a breath of spring
Your voice is soft like summer rain
And I cannot compete with you
Jolene
He talks about you in his sleep
And there's nothing I can do to keep
From crying when he calls your name
Jolene
And I can easily understand
How you could easily take my man
But you don't know what he means to me
Jolene
Please don't take him just because you can
You could have your choice of men
But I could never love again
He's the only one for me
Jolene
I had to have this talk with you
My happiness depends on you
And whatever you decide to do
Jolene
Please don't take him even though you can
Jolene, Jolene

Post by kzt   » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:32 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Grayson mores and culture would give an interesting twist to "Jolene" :)

Or Bed of Roses.

But there is a long tradition of "angels in the a.m., amen, and heathens in the evenin'" and one expects that in general people will continue to be people with all their flaws. But as long as your kids were raised to pray people are confident it will all work out in the end.

Return to Honorverse