Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests

Re-Reading the Series With the Ending in Mind

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re-Reading the Series With the Ending in Mind
Post by CRC   » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:59 am

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

Business trips are great in one sense. I get to read on the plane and with a Kindle, I get to re-read complete series.

So I've been re-reading Safehold from beginning to end. I'm now in the end pages of How Firm A Foundation.

But the real interesting read has been a couple of things, in light of the ending:

1 - The significance of the piece of paper Wylsynn gave to Duchairn. Looking back, it seems to have galvanized Duchairn and set him on the path he took - although we didn't know it at the time.

2 - The decline of Zahmsyn Trynair over the course of the books in both ability and influence. He started out clearly in charge, but Clyntahn basically scared the hell out of him after the purge, but he just sort of faded away.

3 - The rise of Allayn Maigwair from feckless to pretty substantial after the ground forces became involved.

And then after Safehold, I think I'll start with On Basilisk Station and go from there!
Re: Re-Reading the Series With the Ending in Mind
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:43 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Going to be vague to avoid spoilers but I was pleased to see my suspicions about one gentleman were accurate. :)

CRC wrote:Business trips are great in one sense. I get to read on the plane and with a Kindle, I get to re-read complete series.

So I've been re-reading Safehold from beginning to end. I'm now in the end pages of How Firm A Foundation.

But the real interesting read has been a couple of things, in light of the ending:

1 - The significance of the piece of paper Wylsynn gave to Duchairn. Looking back, it seems to have galvanized Duchairn and set him on the path he took - although we didn't know it at the time.

2 - The decline of Zahmsyn Trynair over the course of the books in both ability and influence. He started out clearly in charge, but Clyntahn basically scared the hell out of him after the purge, but he just sort of faded away.

3 - The rise of Allayn Maigwair from feckless to pretty substantial after the ground forces became involved.

And then after Safehold, I think I'll start with On Basilisk Station and go from there!
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]

Return to Safehold