Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 42 guests

Grayson Classical Music

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Grayson Classical Music
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:https://youtu.be/t9JQkxu_ofE

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I was going to say a more laid back form of present day country music or the slow ballad like tempo would be perfect. Like this.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by phillies   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:24 pm

phillies
Admiral

Once upon a time, I w as in the army. 45 years ago. I did basic training in Fort Polk, Louisiana. Most of the platoon was nice fellows, southern good old boys. I got to hear several debates about the relative merits of "country" and that unrelated musical style "western".
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:Once upon a time, I w as in the army. 45 years ago. I did basic training in Fort Polk, Louisiana. Most of the platoon was nice fellows, southern good old boys. I got to hear several debates about the relative merits of "country" and that unrelated musical style "western".

Your post reminds me of something a really old couple told me once, long ago. Country music was totally unlike western music. Country music had its roots in "feelings and emotion" "Crying a tear in your beer" and "Dixie" and "Rose of Alabama" and the like.

When "country folk" migrated out west, the faster and more immoral saloon life had to derive a more fitting music that would bring the business in and not get someone shot. The result became Country and Western, which in turn made its way back east.

Hearsay of course. But they seemed to know what they were talking about.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Annachie   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

To me, country music is about country. Farms and country life.
Western is more cowboys and ranchers.

Or to put it another way, while ai grew up listening to country music, this is an example of the Australian country music I grew up listening to.

https://youtu.be/W5yclGFriYo

https://youtu.be/HtcNMSBYoWc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:24 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:To me, country music is about country. Farms and country life.
Western is more cowboys and ranchers.

Or to put it another way, while ai grew up listening to country music, this is an example of the Australian country music I grew up listening to.

https://youtu.be/W5yclGFriYo

https://youtu.be/HtcNMSBYoWc

I'll buy one of those tickets. It gels with my post just above.

Farms and country life is a much slower pace. Lots of falling in love, Saturday night barn dances and more falling in love. Getting your heart broken then writing a song about it, after you complete the one about losing the entire crop due to weather.

Cowboys and ranchers are a much faster pace. They are a much rowdier crowd who are angry at the end of a hard days work if you're given to understatement. They're wanting to wind down buy a whore and let off some steam.

Somebody playing or singing "Rose of Alybamy" may get themselves shot.

Last edited by cthia on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by saber964   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:35 pm

saber964
Admiral

Country music has several different forms, they all come under the country music umbrella. Music like blue grass both Appalachian and southern blue grass. Then you have folk music which a mix of multiple styles some of which are rock based and those that are country based. Much like Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan.
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:52 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

"Western" doesn't exist any more as a distinct musical genre. It hasn't for something like 30+ years. People who talk about as if it exists obviously have no idea what they are talking about. Using the Blues Brothers as your sole guide to country music has some serious weaknesses.

For example, this song:
https://youtu.be/jziY9Brp5rg?t=21

That's by Garth Brooks, who is very clearly a country singer and is also the best selling solo artist in US history.
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:11 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
cthia wrote:Classical music is a much more sophisticated music enjoyed by the soul and not the feet. IMHO.

You don't understand enough history. The way we treat what is now called classical music is just how we treat it TODAY. It was not always this way.

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/22/141617637 ... -rock-star

"When you think of rock n' roll, Franz Liszt might not be the first name that comes to mind. But the classical pianist, born 200 years ago today, was in many ways the first rock star of all time.

"In the mid-19th century, Liszt was tearing up the polite salons and concert halls of Europe with his virtuoso performances. Women would literally attack him: tear bits of his clothing, fight over broken piano strings and locks of his shoulder-length hair. Europe had never seen anything like it. It was a phenomenon the great German poet Heinrich Heine dubbed "Lisztomania.""
cthia wrote:Just about all of the major concert halls I've attended feature an exhaustive look at the history of classical music replete with video in an atrium type setting. Carnegie Hall in New York does and certainly the Teatro Dal Verme in Milan. Several in England. And ALL of them in Vienna. If you like classical music and frequent a classical theatre you cannot remain oblivious to the history.

Now, project that imagery and behavior onto a Grayson woman in a Grayson gown. Personally, I just can't see it.

But I could most certainly be wrong about the feeling I get from storyline, which has more to do with the Grayson's women than the Grayson's music.

Also, let's not forget that at the times in question the Masadans would still have been a part of Grayson proper. Now imagine Grayson women acting like the imagery you portrayed. It would have been their last dance.

Remember, Grayson religion had to have had its effect on Grayson music.

Post by Annachie   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:16 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

True. Also enviroment, which is why I went with Cool Water as the first example.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:True. Also enviroment, which is why I went with Cool Water as the first example.

Ah! "I see," said the blind carpenter! As he picked up his hammer and saw.

Return to Honorverse