Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jonathan_S and 36 guests

Favorite Moments So Far?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Favorite Moments So Far?
Post by Phalanx   » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:43 am

Phalanx
Commander

1) "Goodbye Citizen Chairman"
2) The enlisted crewman in Honor Among Enemies, when he finds out their commander officer. "We're all gonna die". I feel like that is the Honorverse's version of "Game Over Man.Game Over.".
3) Fanatic. All of it.
4)"Admiral Yanakov to all Grayson Units..."(from Echoes of Honor).
5) When Honor takes Flag Command during SVW.
6) When Filareta realized just how screwed she was
_

Post by Eagleeye   » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:08 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Phalanx wrote:1) "Goodbye Citizen Chairman"
2) The enlisted crewman in Honor Among Enemies, when he finds out their commander officer. "We're all gonna die". I feel like that is the Honorverse's version of "Game Over Man.Game Over.".
3) Fanatic. All of it.

Minor nit: Filareta was a male ...;)

I like especially the emotional scenes through all the books - regardless the source of the emotion. So I read regularely through Honors return to Sphinx after Oyster Bay as well as through her return from the dead at the end of EoH and the start of AoV. Or the reunification of Helen Zilwicki and Paulo d'Arezzo. Or Honors marriage scene. Or the scene where she gets the message of Paul Tankersleys killing ... whatever. I take it you get the picture ;)
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:20 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:
Phalanx wrote:1) "Goodbye Citizen Chairman"
3) Fanatic. All of it.

Minor nit: Filareta was a male ...;)

I like especially the emotional scenes through all the books - regardless the source of the emotion. So I read regularely through Honors return to Sphinx after Oyster Bay as well as through her return from the dead at the end of EoH and the start of AoV. Or the reunification of Helen Zilwicki and Paulo d'Arezzo. Or Honors marriage scene. Or the scene where she gets the message of Paul Tankersleys killing ... whatever. I take it you get the picture ;)

Same here Eagleeye. I'm an emotion junky. I judge a book by its tear factor. Speaking of which, let's not forget the Mueller School Dome collapse and those poor little kids. I took it just as hard as Honor and poor ole Adam Gerrick. I still bleed for Adam who bled for those kids.

Honor didn't exactly have unused tear ducts either.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:31 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

"Merry Christmas, Wesley." ~Protector Benjamin Mayhew, Echoes of Honor
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It occurred to me that there really isn't many leading character moments featuring a treecat in the mainline stories. We've got Samantha learning sign, Nimitz foiling the Maccabeans along with Honor. The cultivator incident and there's Nimitz throwing the Frisbee too hot for even a Sphinxian to handle. Other than that, good leading character mainline parts are sparse for the cats.

RFC better watch out or the cats are going to join the Screen Actors Guild. LOL

Perhaps the final book will see the cats get some juicy parts, like tearing some Mesans limb from limb. Along with some memorable lines.

It'd be nice to perhaps have Nimitz and Honor separated for a chapter or two. Nimitz could get a smell of a lead and follow it, being late for departure and Honor has no other recourse but to break orbit and leave him behind resulting in Nimitz uncovering a lead.

I dunno, something. Throw Nimitz a script bone.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by robert132   » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:36 am

robert132
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:
I like the scene just after that in the lift car. When Honor tells Haumptman screw with my parents and your a deadman.

Aye, that's a good one. I think that was the first time Hauptman realized that maybe he had gone too far, long before daughter Stacy tore a long, bloody strip off of his ass.

Too bad that earlier lesson didn't really take.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

When Honor saw men wielding baseball bats for the first time and she panicked thinking there was a riot about to go down!

What's a girl to think? After all, she was on Grayson. An eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth and a bat to collect each. LOL

Post by saber964   » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:20 pm

saber964
Admiral

Best scene in AoV

My wife and I want to teach you and Leaf Catcher to talk to each other like we.
Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I admit to not liking this character initially. He's still not one of my favorites, but he earned my respect with his reaction to this entire sordid affair.
At All Costs Ch. 25 wrote:"I want to know who leaked this, and I want to know yesterday."

Dr. Franz Illescue's voice was flat, almost calm, with a lack of emphasis and exclamation points which rang alarm bells in every member of the Briarwood Reproduction Center's senior staff.

"But, Doctor," Julia Isher, Briarwood's business manager, said cautiously, "so far, we don't really have any evidence it was one of our people who was responsible."

"Don't be stupid, Julia. And let's not pretend I am, either," Illescue said in that same almost-calm tone, and Isher winced.

Franz Illescue could be an unmitigated pain in the ass, and despite the very nearly half century he'd spent getting the worst of his natural aristocratic arrogance knocked out of him, there would always be that core of implicit superiority. That unassailable knowledge that he was, by the inevitable process of birth and the natural working of the universe, inherently better than anyone around him. Despite that, however—or possibly even because of it—he was normally very careful to observe the rules of courtesy with the "little people" with whom he came into contact. On the rare occasions when he wasn't, it was a very, very bad sign, indeed.

"One of 'our people,' as you put it, most definitely was responsible," he continued after a heartbeat or two. "Whether someone deliberately sold the information to this . . . this . . . individual Hayes or not, that information had to come from someone inside the Center. Someone with access to our confidential records. Someone who, if he or she didn't deliberately sell the information was still criminally—and I use the adverb advisedly, in light of our confidentiality agreements with our patients—negligent. Someone who either gossiped about it where he or she shouldn't have or allowed someone else unauthorized access. In either case, I want his—or her—ass. I want it broiled, on a silver platter, with a nice side of fried potatoes, and I intend to see to it that whoever it was never works in this field—or any other branch of the medical profession—in the Star Kingdom again."

First read through John McCain's sentiment of Die Hard fame came to mind. "Yippee Ki Yay, mother**cker."

I sure hope the next book ties some very loose ends up.

Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hemphill's apology to Honor. I took it as an apology anyway...

At All Costs Ch. 43 wrote:"Admiral Hemphill and I haven't always been on the same page," she began, and Hemphill actually chuckled.

"You might say that, Your Grace," she said, "if you're given to understatement. I seem to recall a rather passionate debriefing you gave the Weapons Development Board after that little affair in Basilisk."

"I was younger then, Admiral," Honor said almost demurely. "And I was mildly irritated, at the time."

"And rightly so," Hemphill said with a nod. She shook her head. "I don't believe I've ever had the opportunity to actually tell you this, Your Grace, but I always envisioned Fearless as a testbed. I never expected her to be committed to combat, especially not totally unsupported. The fact that you managed to win was an impressive testimony to your tactical ability. And the fact that you were—'mildly irritated,' I believe you said—was certainly understandable. Besides," she chuckled again, "having watched your track record over the last few years, I'm inclined to doubt you've mellowed all that much since."

"Not mellowed," Honor said with another smile. "Just gained a greater sense of . . . diplomacy."

This time Caparelli and Givens joined Hemphill's laughter, and Caparelli tipped his chair back.

Still a bit emotional for me too.

Return to Honorverse