Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

What has Trump done right so far?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
What has Trump done right so far?
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:02 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

There are many sites with this theme though they are not exactly impartial. I'd like to be fair about it, so if there is something Trump has done right, please let me know.

I'll put the first dollar in the tip jar by mentioning my approval of his reining in the cost of the F-35s and saving the taxpayers a ton of money and the pledge of Lockheed to create 1800 more jobs.

Which, I might add, fingers the one reason people voted for him in the first place, for his potential to rein in insane government spending - his business sense. And to possibly tackle the huge dinosaur of the National Debt.

One such site.
What has Trump done right so far in his first weeks of Presidency?

Well I wouldn’t necessarily classify this as ‘doing something right,’ but he’s been sticking to his campaign promises, as nutjobby as they might be. He hasn’t run to the middle, like most candidates-turned-president do. He hasn’t stopped tweeting, though he probably should, before he gets us into an armed confrontation with somebody.

Hard to know at this point how any of his unilateral actions (executive orders mostly) will play out. There will be a TON of legal challenges to overcome. Still hard for me to believe that people in Congress (even this Congress) will be stupid enough to eliminate Obamacare or build a wall. They will happily use the complete lack of veto threat to pass their rich benefactors’ wish list of policies — we are already seeing that in the removal of background checks for insane people who want to buy guns, the freedom given to coal mining companies to dump sludge into our nation’s water supply, and the restrictions on banks put in place after the MASSIVE ECONOMIC MELTDOWN of 2008 (that nobody on the right seems to remember) are being removed. Gut the EPA, kill unions and the civil service, let a thousand oil pipelines bloom, etc.

Eventually, Steve Bannon will run out of executive orders to give to Trump to sign. And once Congress passes yet another massive tax cut that primarily benefits the rich, they will be nearly done getting everything they’ve always wanted. So somebody actually has to govern. That’s when the wheels will really come off.

https://www.quora.com/What-has-Trump-do ... Presidency

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: What has Trump done right so far?
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:56 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

He pulled out of TPP...

Other than that hard to think of anything. A right wing acquaintance of mine actually recently posted one of these "Trump Accomplishment" lists on Facebook this morning and reading through it is a head shaker.

It's mostly either things Trump is taking credit for that were done before he even took office (like, oh, reigning in the cost of the F-35's. A cost savings that was already baked into the existing production plan and which Trump had absolutely nothing to do with)

http://breakingdefense.com/2016/12/33483/

(Add to that list the Intel plant that was already being built, the Air Force One "cost reduction" that never happened.... it's a theme with him. )

Or really tortuously phrased "accomplishments" that cover up something really damaging he did. Like successfully protecting the coal industry from harmful requirements not to dump waste in streams. :roll:

Or successfully relieving oil companies of the extremely expensive and competitive advantage destroying requirement to disclose their payments to foreign or domestic governments.... because you know oversight of which government entities are getting paid what by these companies is *so* expensive to them and *so* pointless. :roll:

And then there's the "signed an order to tell people to do their jobs" type "accomplishments" because you know, they didn't know to do them before and needed the President to tell them to.

Ugh, it's pathetic.
Post by Daryl   » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

One good thing is to shake up the political establishment just by being an outsider.
Others include -
Damn, must be something.

I disagree that he will reduce the national debt. Cutting tax while increasing expenditure on non productive things like walls and military won't help there. The stock market is happy now because of less regulation, but eventually it will end in tears. I personally have already moved to buy an other investment house rather than be exposed to the market.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:26 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Depends on what you think hos goals are, since if he's trying to turn America into an 1800's oligarchy with him as it's ruler for life ...

Ivanka. Getting her into politics.
He might fuck her up in the end. But getting her involved is a good thing.

Priebus and Pence. Much as I don't like their politics they are better than a lot of people who could hold those positions.

TPP. Until we see what he replaces it with, jury out.

Deporting more felonious immigrants, good thing. Deporting non felonious, bad. Should be encouraging them to get citizenship. Or at least legal residency. He's fucking part of the US economy with this deportation thing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by biochem   » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:39 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Gorsuch :D :D :D :D
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:49 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Get the Press pissed enough to be antagonistic journalists rather than gushing cheerleaders.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:01 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Get the Press pissed enough to be antagonistic journalists rather than gushing cheerleaders.

a.k.a. has lied his ass off all day every day while calling the free press the enemies of the American people for pointing it out.

Yeah.... he did that "right". :roll:
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:29 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

gcomeau wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Get the Press pissed enough to be antagonistic journalists rather than gushing cheerleaders.

a.k.a. has lied his ass off all day every day while calling the free press the enemies of the American people for pointing it out.

If his tendency to embellish pisses them off, yeah, he did that right. He might not like the results, but I do.
Post by The E   » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:59 pm

The E
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:If his tendency to embellish pisses them off, yeah, he did that right. He might not like the results, but I do.

"Tendency to embellish" is what you use when a statement is perhaps more optimistic than the data warrants.

When Trump says things that are completely, utterly untrue, we call that a "lie". At least those of us who aren't as beholden to conservative correctness as you are, Peter.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:26 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
gcomeau wrote:

If his tendency to embellish pisses them off, yeah, he did that right. He might not like the results, but I do.

Remember when everyone on the right thought Clinton was the worst person on the face of the earth for telling "lies" about Benghazi that she never even told?

Isn't it amazing how that "lying to the American People is wrong" switch flipped the second Trump was elected and now undeniable and uncontested lies are simply declared to be good things coming from the president of the United states...?
Last edited by gcomeau on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Politics