Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Multiverse #4???

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Multiverse #4???
Post by n4aof   » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:29 pm

n4aof
Midshipman

Eagleeye wrote:
Regarding Multiverse -
So, my best guess would circle around 2019 for the eARC - maybe 2018 with very much luck.

Hell's Gate October 2006
five months later
Hell Hath No Fury March 2007
nine years later
The Road to Hell March 1, 2016

So MAYBE book 4 won't be another decade behind book 3 -- or maybe it will.

The gaps wouldn't be bad if these were actually novels in their own right. The early books in most of his series were able to stand alone, but more recently each "series" is one big book just released in pieces.

Compare most of the Honor books, where you can finish reading and close the book, then look at any of the Safehold or Multiverse books where you hit the last page and you know you haven't finished reading anything.

Cliff-hangers are fine for a TV series but not very satisfying for books, especially when you can't be sure when or even if the next book is coming.
Post by Eagleeye   » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

n4aof wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:
Regarding Multiverse -
So, my best guess would circle around 2019 for the eARC - maybe 2018 with very much luck.

Hell's Gate October 2006
five months later
Hell Hath No Fury March 2007
nine years later
The Road to Hell March 1, 2016

So MAYBE book 4 won't be another decade behind book 3 -- or maybe it will. ...

The reason, the first 2 books were published with only 6 month between them - it was actually only one book which happened to have much more content than even Baen could press in a book cover and still sell it for their usual price. So they made two books from 1 manuscript.

And the gap between HHnF and RTH? Linda Evans got seriously ill and retired from writing (her retirement happened sometime around 2009, 2010, iIrc). But David wanted to write these books with a co-author, so he had to look for a new one, and that took time, too. After he found Joelle Presby they had to fit the book into their writing schedules ... not so much a problem for Joelle (I think so, at least) but a not so minor one for David.
Post by Louis R   » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Yeah, that whole 'let's get together' effect is why Himself has essentially withdrawn from 1632 work. He hasn't [AFAIK] lost interest or run out of ideas, but the coordination issues reached the point where they put the brakes on the entire project. The Empire of Man series is in the same boat. Joelle at least is only juggling her daily life for the moment - and IIRC has already started the next book.

Eagleeye wrote:< snip >
And the gap between HHnF and RTH? Linda Evans got seriously ill and retired from writing (her retirement happened sometime around 2009, 2010, iIrc). But David wanted to write these books with a co-author, so he had to look for a new one, and that took time, too. After he found Joelle Presby they had to fit the book into their writing schedules ... not so much a problem for Joelle (I think so, at least) but a not so minor one for David.
Post by Eagleeye   » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

Louis R wrote:Yeah, that whole 'let's get together' effect is why Himself has essentially withdrawn from 1632 work. He hasn't [AFAIK] lost interest or run out of ideas, but the coordination issues reached the point where they put the brakes on the entire project. The Empire of Man series is in the same boat. Joelle at least is only juggling her daily life for the moment - and IIRC has already started the next book.

You're sure about that? That would be nice - because last April she was busy writing her first solo novel for Baen. (or so she answered me via Twitter, at least) If your info actually is correct, then we could expect her own book around the last 3 months of this year or so - and Multiverse #4 in 2018.
Post by Louis R   » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

not 100%, no. i think it was mentioned in one of Himself's interviews that was posted later than that. [the LoC talk?] but don't forget that 'started' needn't extend as far as 'writing'. there would be a good deal of preliminary work involved in getting them on the same page. depending on her work style some of that might happen before she had the other book done.

Eagleeye wrote:
Louis R wrote:Yeah, that whole 'let's get together' effect is why Himself has essentially withdrawn from 1632 work. He hasn't [AFAIK] lost interest or run out of ideas, but the coordination issues reached the point where they put the brakes on the entire project. The Empire of Man series is in the same boat. Joelle at least is only juggling her daily life for the moment - and IIRC has already started the next book.

You're sure about that? That would be nice - because last April she was busy writing her first solo novel for Baen. (or so she answered me via Twitter, at least) If your info actually is correct, then we could expect her own book around the last 3 months of this year or so - and Multiverse #4 in 2018.
Post by prw2732   » Sat May 27, 2017 3:01 pm

prw2732
Midshipman

A Call to Vengeance, the 3rd book in the Manticore Ascendant series is announced for the 7th of March 2017

https://www.amazon.com/Call-Vengeance-M%20...%20476782105/

But the publication date has been changed to MARCH 6, 2018. So I think production is being
s t r e t c h e d _ o u t.
:( :mrgreen: :(
Post by Keith_w   » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:48 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

n4aof wrote:quote="jeremyr" quote="Keith_w"

I thought that I read in the forums somewhere that the Manitcore Ascendant series wasn't doing well enough to earn a 3rd book. I enjoy them personally.

/quote

This is from Amazon:
"Book three in the nationally best-selling Manticore Ascendant series, a prequel series to David Weber's multiple New York Times best-selling Honor Harrington series. Sequel to A Call to Duty and A Call to Arms."

It doesn't sound like it's not doing well /quote

Keith,

Did you read your own first line? "This is from Amazon"

All that advertising puffery means is that the seller on Amazon wants to sell you the book.

I like the books, but I certainly don't know how well the series is doing nationally -- and no one else does either outside the publisher, the author, and perhaps his business agent or accountant.

That's not my first line, that's jeremyr's. My first line was "I thought that I read in the forums somewhere..."
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by jeremyr   » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:59 pm

jeremyr
Lieutenant Commander

Keith_w wrote:
n4aof wrote:quote="jeremyr" quote="Keith_w"

I thought that I read in the forums somewhere that the Manitcore Ascendant series wasn't doing well enough to earn a 3rd book. I enjoy them personally.

/quote

This is from Amazon:
"Book three in the nationally best-selling Manticore Ascendant series, a prequel series to David Weber's multiple New York Times best-selling Honor Harrington series. Sequel to A Call to Duty and A Call to Arms."

It doesn't sound like it's not doing well /quote

Keith,

Did you read your own first line? "This is from Amazon"

All that advertising puffery means is that the seller on Amazon wants to sell you the book.

I like the books, but I certainly don't know how well the series is doing nationally -- and no one else does either outside the publisher, the author, and perhaps his business agent or accountant.

That's not my first line, that's jeremyr's. My first line was "I thought that I read in the forums somewhere..."

Yep, it's my quote. And yes I read it.
Post by jeremyr   » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:15 pm

jeremyr
Lieutenant Commander

From RFC's About the Schedule post under announcements: "Hopefully, somewhere after this Python lump is out the door, Joelle and I will be looking at the next multiverse book, as well. We have two more, I think, under contract for that series."

Two more would be good. If I'm understanding his thoughts, probably be no sooner than late 2018, but more likely sometime in 2019 we'll see the next book in this serries.
Post by Frankjg   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:53 pm

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I cannot wait till the next book in the series is out. I have enjoyed reading this series very much.

Return to Multiverse