Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Self proclaimed one-liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Self proclaimed one-liners
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

At any rate, our error in electing Donald Trump, at this point, reminds me of Tokyo creating a bigger problem for themselves by waking up Godzilla to battle King Kong.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

All UFO sightings have a plausible explanation such as a weather balloon; as in whether that bullshit of an explanation will ever balloon into something that all intelligent people will swallow.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

'Creative Writing' does not mean ignoring the rules of spelling and grammar.

It's a peeve I have developed in my time on fanfiction.net. Making up your own rules for language is a little too creative.
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:'Creative Writing' does not mean ignoring the rules of spelling and grammar.

It's a peeve I have developed in my time on fanfiction.net. Making up your own rules for language is a little too creative.

You must really hate poetry.

Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

cthia wrote:You must really hate poetry.

I hate trying to come up with it, I seem stuck on a single style of about eight syllables per line.
Doing the Sorting Hat Song for my current story took ages since JK Rowling didn't do one for HP2 that I could borrow.
Damn thing was only 13 lines long yet took almost an hour!
Or 26 lines depending on how one looks at it...

(Edit - Song can be found in description here.)

And since this is a quote thread...
From my story Guyver Naruto (Ch 66) as spoken by one of the bad guy leaders...

"Do you know what many people refer to pacifists as? Not heroes, not brave, not admirable. Victims. Pacifists are victims whose only purpose is to gather resources and money for other people to take away.
"Only those willing to stand up for themselves can count on keeping what they have claimed."

-followed soon after by-

"I'm surrounded by idiots. How many times must I tell them, it's rape, pillage then burn...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

To cthia:

Poetry is a different category. I'm talking about stories with multiple spelling and grammatical errors PER SENTENCE which make them burdensome to read and difficult to understand. I just read a story in which maybe one sentence in twenty was actually coherent.

To Michael Everett:

NO!! It's rape, loot, pillage, then burn. You must never forget to loot.

You might swap the first two, but pillage and burn always have to be last.

And don't drink the grog until after you've made your escape.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:58 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:To cthia:

Poetry is a different category. I'm talking about stories with multiple spelling and grammatical errors PER SENTENCE which make them burdensome to read and difficult to understand. I just read a story in which maybe one sentence in twenty was actually coherent.

To Michael Everett:

Er, pillage is looting.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by John Prigent   » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:59 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

I can cope with bad grammar and bad spelling in an otherwise good story. But my pet actual hates are the authors who torture punctuation, or use long words just to show off their knowledge of long words. The ones who'll 'create' a 500-word paragraph that's a single sentence, just because they've heard how to use commas and semicolons to break up sentences so use them instead of full stops. And the ones who would write 'erudition' instead of 'knowledge of long words'. What happened to teaching about the Fog Index in creative writing classes?

Cheers, John

Imaginos1892 wrote:'Creative Writing' does not mean ignoring the rules of spelling and grammar.

Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:To cthia:

To Michael Everett:

Er, pillage is looting.

Not exactly Robert. Looting is without violence.

Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Looting is stealing stuff and hauling it away with you. With or without violence.

Pillaging is destruction - razing buildings, breaking dams, polluting wells, flooding fields, and otherwise making it hard for the enemy to use their resources even after your rampaging horde has left the area.

Arson could be considered part of pillaging, but it denies the resources to your horde immediately, so it's best saved for last.

Hey! Looting is tactical, pillaging is strategic.

Return to Free-Range Topics...