Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Political Cartoons You wish to share

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Political Cartoons You wish to share
Post by gcomeau   » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:32 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Yes, that's an actual real Dr. Seuss cartoon from 1941.

Yes, it has now become relevant in the worst way in modern day America.
Post by biochem   » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:54 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Post by The E   » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:18 am

The E
Admiral

(Not technically a cartoon, I know, but you Trump voters are hilarious)
Post by biochem   » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:07 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:Image

(Not technically a cartoon, I know, but you Trump voters are hilarious)

You do know that most people who voted for Trump don't actually like him as a person?
Post by The E   » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:11 am

The E
Admiral

biochem wrote:You do know that most people who voted for Trump don't actually like him as a person?

Strange how a lot of them do want him to be able to overrule the judiciary though.
Post by biochem   » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:52 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:
biochem wrote:You do know that most people who voted for Trump don't actually like him as a person?

Strange how a lot of them do want him to be able to overrule the judiciary though.

That's because there is a legal theory on the left that the constitution etc are living documents that need to be interpreted in the context of 2017 not as originally intended. In practice this translates at the extremes as "my liberal philosophy is morally correct therefore I'm going legislate from the bench". There have been some pretty egregious situations particularly with the 9th district court of appeals (the appeals court Trump is dealing with now). That court has occasionally been overturned 9-0 by the Supreme Court which means that even their fellow liberals have ruled against them. This misbehavior on the part of a few activist judges (yes it is only a few judges but they are the ones making the headlines. The boring judges,liberal and conservative, doing their job as they should are never heard from) is making the non-elites i.e. Trump voters lose faith in the judicial branch.
Post by The E   » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:32 am

The E
Admiral

biochem wrote:That's because there is a legal theory on the left that the constitution etc are living documents that need to be interpreted in the context of 2017 not as originally intended.

If even Trump's nominee for the Supreme Court, who seems to position himself as a traditionalist a la Scalia, criticizes him for his conduct vis a vis the judiciary, something's up.

In practice this translates at the extremes as "my liberal philosophy is morally correct therefore I'm going legislate from the bench". There have been some pretty egregious situations particularly with the 9th district court of appeals (the appeals court Trump is dealing with now). That court has occasionally been overturned 9-0 by the Supreme Court which means that even their fellow liberals have ruled against them. This misbehavior on the part of a few activist judges (yes it is only a few judges but they are the ones making the headlines. The boring judges,liberal and conservative, doing their job as they should are never heard from) is making the non-elites i.e. Trump voters lose faith in the judicial branch.

Even if that was true (I don't believe it is, "activist judges" is something you conservatives only seem to trot out when cases go against you), giving Trump powers that he is actively prohibited from having by the constitution you venerate so much shows just how imbecilic and self-destructive Trump voters are.

The US system works best when at least one of the three branches of government stands in opposition to the other two. More often than not, that's the judiciary's role. A Gleichschaltung of all branches is not something you want to happen, no matter who is in charge (although having a raging shitgibbon in the White House does make having proper checks and balances more necessary than usual).
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:03 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Trump people right now with information leaks:

Post by Annachie   » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:26 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Biochem. Quick lesson.
SCOTUS taking a case from any appelant court is a good bet it's being overturned.
It runs around 80% overturn rate.

Hell one district, southern and right wing, had a 100% overturn rate a few years ago.

But in general SCOTUS looks at less than 1% of Apellant court cases.

Consider that a proportion of cases taken will have seperate districts ruling different ways, such as the muslim van EO, and you virtually guarentee that a case will both be looked at by SCOTUS, and that it will be overturned one way or the other.

By the by, love me some old Dr. Suess. Private FUBAR anyone? :)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by The E   » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:40 pm

The E
Admiral

Return to Politics