Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Canadian Armed Forces

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Canadian Armed Forces
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:36 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Canada has a small, some would say Tiny, Armed Forces.

Around 70,000 Army Navy and Air forces personnel. We have 6 Dozen obsolete Tanks 6 Dozen F18's scheduled to be upgraded to Super Hornets, instead of F35's. A bunch of Helicopters from the 50's. Scheduled to be upgraded but the new ones don't work. 8-12 Frigates and 3-4 Subs that leak. We have a few transport planes some old Herc's and maybe some newer replacements. A few Dozen LAV 25's.

Given our small Armed Forces I suggest changing how things are done. Instead of wasting money on Planes we are not going to use or Tanks that are useless we should scrap and replace both with Drones. Each Super Hornet costs the same as 12 Drones, 3 Ground or Mobile command units and 12 Satellite Drone Links. Training crews and 'pilots' is much less and a variety of drones and placements can do everything the new planes will do and do better. 12 Drones can be the Predator Raptor Drones, plus some of the others, add in a dozen Global hawks (expensive) for air superiority. Predator Raptors would be used for ground attack and we use F18's for search and rescue, My cousin died crashing into a mountain searching for a lost fishing boat in a storm. A Drone could do the same thing maybe even better.

Deploying 6 F18's two years ago bombing ISIS cost us half a billion. Doing the same with 8 Predator Drones would cost 20% of that. Moving the planes and Deploying them would be faster with Drones as well.

Now I would use our Air Force to fly Transport Planes for Moving LAV's and Mobile Drone Operations. Canada would need to buy and Fly New better bigger transports.

As For tanks, we should deploy the Helicopter Drones. Much more useful than a Leopard 1. Did we ever get Leopard 2's? Better against Armour and much harder to hit. Cheaper safer and easier to upgrade. Helicopter Drones can also be deployed on our Frigates. I won't tell you how old our Army Helicopters are. Biggest guns they mount are twin mini guns, carry 50 seconds of ammo and have no armour. Again a drone is much better.

5/600 Drones are cheaper, would let Canada live up to our NATO commitments, add in new Air Transports and Deploy a larger LAV fleet. Cheaper Better more and much more effective. Likely keep Trump happy too.
Post by The E   » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:11 am

The E
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:As For tanks, we should deploy the Helicopter Drones. Much more useful than a Leopard 1. Did we ever get Leopard 2's? Better against Armour and much harder to hit. Cheaper safer and easier to upgrade. Helicopter Drones can also be deployed on our Frigates. I won't tell you how old our Army Helicopters are. Biggest guns they mount are twin mini guns, carry 50 seconds of ammo and have no armour. Again a drone is much better.

Canada has been fielding the Leopard 2 in various variants for quite a few years (wiki says 60 Leo 2 A4M and 20 Leo 2 A6M).
Re: Canadian Armed Forces
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:32 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Given that Canada has apparently suspended it's second-highest-ranked officer for reasons as yet unexplained, the timing for this particular thread is... interesting.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Re: Canadian Armed Forces
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:27 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote: [Snip]
5/600 Drones are cheaper, would let Canada live up to our NATO commitments, add in new Air Transports and Deploy a larger LAV fleet. Cheaper Better more and much more effective. Likely keep Trump happy too.

Spending less than your fair share? NOT going to keep The Donald happy. :roll: :lol:
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.

Return to Free-Range Topics...