Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Dumbest Inventions EVER

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Dumbest Inventions EVER
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:46 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I'm begining to think that the dumbest invention ever is the internet.

So much shit (OK, piss) that we're loosing reality.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Tenshinai   » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
Tenshinai wrote: one thing i´ve learned, it´s that medical science doesn´t know ...
No, They know a-lot, just not everything, no one does.
Tenshinai wrote:Reiki meanwhile, is actually not quackery at all...
No, again, a known phenomenon called - placebo ... aka, quackery.

:roll:

Point #1, "a lot" if you look at total data of course it is, "a lot" compared to "all"?
Not even close.

Point #2, no you quack, it is a well known and proven FACT that the human body responds to touch, and reiki exploits that, regardless of any other claims made about how it´s supposed to work. That effect has nothing to do with placebo.

Seriously, try looking things up BEFORE you post.
Post by MAD-4A   » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:16 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Tenshinai wrote:Point #1, "a lot" if you look at total data of course it is, "a lot" compared to "all"?
Not even close.
"a-lot" is a subjective term so your augment has no merit.

Tenshinai wrote:Point #2, no you quack, it is a well known and proven FACT that the human body responds to touch, and reiki exploits that, regardless of any other claims made about how it´s supposed to work. That effect has nothing to do with placebo.
If someone 'thinks' something's going to work then it allows the mind to perceive that it has, yes the body 'responds', when I hurt my arm, for example, I grab it an rub it, that makes it 'feel' better, that does not mean that rubbing it actually made it better or did anything to heal it. There is no definitive proof that Reiki does anything more than a placebo effect, quack.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:30 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

A couple I know are selling their mountain cabin in NC ...
Because they can't stand the hown owners assiciation there.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:If someone 'thinks' something's going to work then it allows the mind to perceive that it has, yes the body 'responds', when I hurt my arm, for example, I grab it an rub it, that makes it 'feel' better, that does not mean that rubbing it actually made it better or did anything to heal it. There is no definitive proof that Reiki does anything more than a placebo effect, quack.

Or if a hammer turns on you and whacks your thumb, and you say a number of Very Bad Words, and it feels better...
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

lead water pipes.
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:55 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:lead water pipes.

The Roman Empire has experience of that one...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by MAD-4A   » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:48 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:lead water pipes.

Actually, lead has the perfect material properties for pipes, easy to mold and doesn't corrode, it wasn't until recently that the toxic effects were known (aside from that - they were great - can't really blame people for what they didn't know - as mentioned, they were used since the Romans). I'd say Mercury based 'medicines/elixirs' are dumber.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

The Revigator, and all the other radiation-based quack 'remedies' that cropped up shortly after the discovery of unstable isotopes.

The Revigator is a small ceramic pot lined with carnotite. You were supposed to fill it with water, let it sit overnight, and then drink all that wonderful, natural radiation -- which was actually radon gas released from the carnotite.

Theodore Gray has a great description of the Revigator under Uranium on his Wooden Periodic Table web site: http://theodoregray.com/periodictable/

Radon decays to polonium in a few days, and polonium decays to lead in a few months. So there's another way to give yourself lead poisoning, with a couple of bonuses along the way.
----------------
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by MAD-4A   » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:12 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:The Revigator, and all the other radiation-based quack 'remedies' that cropped up shortly after the discovery of unstable isotopes.

That's as bad as (or worse than) Uranium Vaseline glass dishes

Idiots (ok to be fair to my last post - ignorant/uninformed) made glass dishes with Uranium mixed in so it would glow in the dark, and used them!

Thinking what glass makers sometimes use (knowingly or unknowingly) makes me glad to use my nice safe, government approved (lol) plastic cup.
-

Return to Free-Range Topics...