Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Firearms in the Weber Household?

Pull up a chair and talk to Sharon about care and feeding of an author, life in the literary world, crochet, or just life in general.
Firearms in the Weber Household?
Post by namelessfly   » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:33 am

namelessfly

For obvious reasons I'd not expect Weber to confirm or deny any speculations, but there is not harm in his readers speculating on what firearms he and his family might own based on what he writes.

I think Weber isn't just a gun owners, he is a gun nut. A genuine hoplite.

He almost certainly owns some prosaic bolt action and lever action rifles, but I'd bet he owns some politically incorrect semiautomatics as well.

I'd also bet that Weber owns some .308 caliber SA rifles in addition to the puny but still useful .223 that so many favor. I'd be amazed if Weber doesn't own soem Springfield Armory M1As. Get them in the scout version with a synthetic stock and put a Picatiny rail on them and they offer almost all of the advantages of the AR-15/M-16 platform with some serious ballistics.

Once Weber hit the big time, I'd expect him to have treated himself to a Barret, perhaps even two Barrets. The semiauto gets all the publicity but the bolt action guns are fun and more accurate.

Since his wife is a STARGATE fan, I hope he bought her her own PS-90 and the FN Five SeveN pistol. People may sneer at the puny 5.7 x 28 mm round, but that is what the Fort Hood shooter was using with such lethal effect.
Re: Firearms in the Weber Household?
Post by SharonWMBO   » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:57 pm

SharonWMBO
First Lady of the Admiralty

namelessfly wrote:For obvious reasons I'd not expect Weber to confirm or deny any speculations, but there is not harm in his readers speculating on what firearms he and his family might own based on what he writes.

He almost certainly owns some prosaic bolt action and lever action rifles, but I'd bet he owns some politically incorrect semiautomatics as well.

I'd also bet that Weber owns some .308 caliber SA rifles in addition to the puny but still useful .223 that so many favor. I'd be amazed if Weber doesn't own soem Springfield Armory M1As. Get them in the scout version with a synthetic stock and put a Picatiny rail on them and they offer almost all of the advantages of the AR-15/M-16 platform with some serious ballistics.

Once Weber hit the big time, I'd expect him to have treated himself to a Barret, perhaps even two Barrets. The semiauto gets all the publicity but the bolt action guns are fun and more accurate.

Since his wife is a STARGATE fan, I hope he bought her her own PS-90 and the FN Five SeveN pistol. People may sneer at the puny 5.7 x 28 mm round, but that is what the Fort Hood shooter was using with such lethal effect.

Hmm...David and guns... Yes, David has a few...in his 600 lbs. gun safe!!! and the two hand keyed safes...and the...well you get the drift!!! He has both handgun and longguns. He used to be better at shooting before he broke his wrist. Now he just doesn't have time!!! (Baaaaaddddd people want to to write books or something!! :) ).

And alas...no p90...yet! but I have enough to hold mine own...In fact, my first real gift from David was my 9mil.! He hated me outshooting him with his own gun so he brought me my own. Now That's True Love!!!

Sharon
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:43 pm

namelessfly

Sharon

Christmas is coming. Time to seriously nag David for that PS-90 which you deserve for being so supportive. Tell him that the NAMELESSFLY promised to not talk about BC(P)s if he gets you one for Christmas.

I've got rhemetoid arthritis which cuts down on my own firearms enjoyment a bit. However; I was still able to show off to my eldest son's prospective girlfriend (not happenning now) by shotting the Barrett off hand from the standing position and hitting a target at 100 yards! Then went to the house to put heating pad on shoulder that was torgued from the strain rather than bruised by the recoil.

I know the feelling about overflowing gun safes. Bought a rather ordinary sized one right before my wedding 20 some years ago. I'm all for training being the primary defense against gun accidents, but there is a limit to how young a child can learn plus there is the theft issue. Several years ago I had returned home with my latest purchase and found myself having to LEAN against the door of the gun safe to close it. Big time hint to get a new gun safe. Went to the local manufacturer planning to get a repeat of first safe. Then he pointed out the preformed shell he had for a 30" x 48" x 72" safe which he could give me a really good deal on. Like a lot of gun owners I worried about the change in administration combined with terrorism threat plus got the boys in to IPSC, so I stocked up. Time for another gun safe. Fortunately; I have room for it out in the man cave which doubles as our chaple where we cling to our guns and our religion.

SharonWMBO wrote:
namelessfly wrote:For obvious reasons I'd not expect Weber to confirm or deny any speculations, but there is not harm in his readers speculating on what firearms he and his family might own based on what he writes.

Hmm...David and guns... Yes, David has a few...in his 600 lbs. gun safe!!! and the two hand keyed safes...and the...well you get the drift!!! He has both handgun and longguns. He used to be better at shooting before he broke his wrist. Now he just doesn't have time!!! (Baaaaaddddd people want to to write books or something!! :) ).

And alas...no p90...yet! but I have enough to hold mine own...In fact, my first real gift from David was my 9mil.! He hated me outshooting him with his own gun so he brought me my own. Now That's True Love!!!

Sharon
Post by jthoma8318   » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:49 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

SharonWMBO wrote:

Sharon

OMG YOU are the person he based the wife on in the last novel Out of the Dark!!!!!
Post by SharonWMBO   » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:48 pm

SharonWMBO

jthoma8318 wrote:
SharonWMBO wrote:

Sharon

OMG YOU are the person he based the wife on in the last novel Out of the Dark!!!!!

Well,Yes. I cannot deny the truth...(it's out there you know!). A few of the people in OOTD could be found around our Thanksgiving Dinner table! And the kids got a Daisy Red Rider BB gun for Christmas. Nothing better to learn gun safty with then something that doesn't do too much. (And, yes I do know that they can shoot their eyes out!) But it too is locked up in Daddy's gun safe and stays there (with the BB's) untill David is ready!

We are not quite Taylor Anderson's 16 (i think)year old girl who just dropped her first deer with a "modern" firearm...a Klag! ANd please read his books they are great!!!!

Sharon
Post by jthoma8318   » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:42 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

I used to be much better at shooting but have not had time to practice since I started driving a truck. I have a dinky 300lb gun safe, LOL.
Post by SharonWMBO   » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:49 pm

SharonWMBO

jthoma8318 wrote:I used to be much better at shooting but have not had time to practice since I started driving a truck. I have a dinky 300lb gun safe, LOL.

Yes, I know what you mean. We haven't been shooting in a while, save for BB gun shooting with the kids. And it's just not the same thing! Maybe when the weather gets warmer!
Post by J.D.SKULL   » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:11 pm

J.D.SKULL
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Hey Sharon, Tell Fly that full grown men like me & DW don't have to worry about recoil. HA.HA. But then I've never shot a 50 BMG. It couldn't be much worse than fireing slugs in a 10ga. shotgun. Could it??? I hope you got the kids shooting glasses along with the BB guns. Harder to shoot there eyes out. If David dosn't wear a wrist brace when shooting he should try one. It might help.
Post by SharonWMBO   » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:27 pm

SharonWMBO

J.D.SKULL wrote:Hey Sharon, Tell Fly that full grown men like me & DW don't have to worry about recoil. HA.HA. But then I've never shot a 50 BMG. It couldn't be much worse than fireing slugs in a 10ga. shotgun. Could it??? I hope you got the kids shooting glasses along with the BB guns. Harder to shoot there eyes out. If David dosn't wear a wrist brace when shooting he should try one. It might help.

I will tell him about the brace...it sounds like a great idea to me, but David might be too worried about his "image"! We haven't gotten shooting glasses yet...they are only shooting into targets with soft backs. When they move to something smaller and harder they will have them then! And as I lost a front tooth to a kid with a BB gun I do know the dangers...we are being careful with our most priceless gifts!
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:04 am

namelessfly

Being a grown man is all good and well, but injuries and infirmities can compromise anyones ability. Also, skill and training can compensate for brawn. One of my son's teachers brought another student who was going into the USAF to get a little firearms experience. She was a gun virgin so we started her out on .22 then worked her up to 9mm and .223 then .45. She was doing so well that I allowed her to shoot the HK 91. When she did well with that, I brought out the Dessert Eagle, 50 AE. She almost hit herself in the head with the gun when it recoiled first round. Then she proceeded to empty the clip into the target making a credible group. She scored top of her AF Police class in marksmanship. I'm still waiting for the baked goods that are my customary range fee.

The wrist brace is an excellent idea.

A 10 gauge shotgun with slugs is serious. Imagine the momentum from a similar mass projectile at double the velocity plus about four times the mass of propellent gas. All 50 cal rifles have muzzle brakes for a reason. The SA Barrett with the reciprocating barrel has about the same felt recoil as a shotgun. However, shooting it off hand as I can still manage in spite of the arthritis is still an accomplishment. My son's pseudo girlfriend has shot it prone, although the resulting undamped harmonic oscillations were very amusing.

Bravo on shooting glasses. Don't forget ear protection. Between exposure to firearms and machinery noise and chronic ear infections, my hearing is severely compromised.

Finally, did David get you the PS 90 that you deserve or do I have to start another topic on BC(P)s? Christmas is over but Valentines day is coming.

SharonWMBO wrote:
J.D.SKULL wrote:Hey Sharon, Tell Fly that full grown men like me & DW don't have to worry about recoil. HA.HA. But then I've never shot a 50 BMG. It couldn't be much worse than fireing slugs in a 10ga. shotgun. Could it??? I hope you got the kids shooting glasses along with the BB guns. Harder to shoot there eyes out. If David dosn't wear a wrist brace when shooting he should try one. It might help.

I will tell him about the brace...it sounds like a great idea to me, but David might be too worried about his "image"! We haven't gotten shooting glasses yet...they are only shooting into targets with soft backs. When they move to something smaller and harder they will have them then! And as I lost a front tooth to a kid with a BB gun I do know the dangers...we are being careful with our most priceless gifts!

Return to Sharon's Corner