Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...
Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:22 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

stewart wrote:Summary comment --

I nominate GWEN Archer as King.
(background music from Wizard of Oz -- "If I Were King Of The Forest ..." )

-- Stewart

Gwen Archer died at Mount Royal Palace.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Not quoting WW or cthia, but I think the only person who could really answer if Honor would take the crown in such circumstances is RFC.

Wonder if Nimitz could be persuaded to take it, thus making Honor the royal Pet ;p

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I humbly apologize, Annachie. I missed replying to this post somehow. Even in rereading it, it still has me ROFFL.

Sometimes I wonder if Honor hadn't always been Nimitz' pet, since the day they first bonded. How much of who Honor has become, is as a result of her shared Bond with Nimitz? Without the unprecedented emotional support available to a human—and a woman—how would Honor have turned out? She could have short circuited long ago and gone postal on someone by now. She inherited the same nuclear reactor that powers her father's loins.

I shamefully admit having thought that I saw the telegraphing of a curve ball to be thrown by the author that the MAlign were going to manufacture some elaborate and Machiavellian conspiracy theory causing the treecats to be feared and considered dangerous to humanity and that the Manticorans and Sphinxians are being brainwashed by the cats who subtly encouraged them into war with the Havenites and the galaxy at large. The MAlign could generate enough galaxy wide fear, indecision and doubt within humanity regarding the treecats that it could severely hamper the Manticoran government. Not many people galaxy wide know very much regarding the cats. Some may not know of them at all. Even many at home had their doubts of even their intelligence until quite recently. The MAlign may be able to sow enough paranoia and fester just enough fear within Manticoran society to cause a serious distraction at some appointed and opportune MAlign time. :twisted:

They can turn this notion of a "bonding" into nothing less than a subliminal brainwashing. The top military strategist is bonded, as is also the second military strategist is bonded—and they just happen to be married to each other. The Queen herself is also bonded.

Humanity is inherently afraid of ghosts and goblins. The proverbial boogeyman lived under the beds and in the closets of every kid and many an adult alike. And he continues to dwell there. The boogeyman is what really defeated the Havenites. Even if he was a woman in boogeyman's clothing—and four meters tall. The MAlign can capitalize off of this inherent human fear.

Check in your closets and under your bed before retiring late tonight if you don't believe me. Remember to check in your closets twice.

DON'T TURN OUT THE LIGHT!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

In Independence Day Resurgence, Cheyenne Mountain was destroyed by an alien ship and all of the presidential line of succession are presumed dead.

Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:In Independence Day Resurgence, Cheyenne Mountain was destroyed by an alien ship and all of the presidential line of succession are presumed dead.

Pretty much impossible. Washington burrocraps were killed, yes, but I doubt very much that every single state governor, vice-guv, and their subordinates were there as well. What about town mayors? Were they there? Aldermen? City council members? Dog catchers?

They swore in the highest-ranking military person they could find as an expedience, not because he was the only one left. If they had the time, I'm sure they could have scoured the countryside to find someone with government experience to fill the slot. They didn't have the time, so they went with the best option they had.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:33 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
cthia wrote:In Independence Day Resurgence, Cheyenne Mountain was destroyed by an alien ship and all of the presidential line of succession are presumed dead.

Pretty much impossible. Washington burrocraps were killed, yes, but I doubt very much that every single state governor, vice-guv, and their subordinates were there as well. What about town mayors? Were they there? Aldermen? City council members? Dog catchers?

They swore in the highest-ranking military person they could find as an expedience, not because he was the only one left. If they had the time, I'm sure they could have scoured the countryside to find someone with government experience to fill the slot. They didn't have the time, so they went with the best option they had.

In real experience, they would gave had multiple bunkers and multiple command teams. Look at 9/11 and Dick Chaney as an example. He never was physically near POTUS for weeks afterward to have a solid line of succession in case of a 2nd attack.

That plot point was one of the dumbest points in a movie full of them....
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:

Theemile wrote:In real experience, they would gave had multiple bunkers and multiple command teams. Look at 9/11 and Dick Chaney as an example. He never was physically near POTUS for weeks afterward to have a solid line of succession in case of a 2nd attack.

That plot point was one of the dumbest points in a movie full of them....

I merely wanted to point out the reality of the concept manifested in another storyline by a writer who is human just like David Weber. It is the reality of the possibility that I was calling to your attention. It was even similarly orchestrated by a planetary strike of a space vessel of advanced technology. It doesn't matter that you all think it is a dumb plot point, impossible or senseless. It isn't like the impossible or the senseless isn't a part of our everyday lives—or that you all haven't already accused RFC of the same...

Exhibit A: At All Costs, and I call to the stand as an expert witness one kzt. Under oath!

Hell, I'd've thought that Donald Trump being elected as president after all the dumber shit he pulled would be a much further reach than something like this happening. Yet, there it is!

You all keep dodging the main course by picking at the vegetables. Of course someone can be found to carry on, unless all of humanity is dead. Yet the Alignment just wanted to derail the government.
You all continue to miss big ol' Cheyenne mountain for the mole hill. They probably weren't there, no. But do you really think the Alignment would care if the Manticoran government were replaced by Aldermen, City council members or dog catchers? I'd think they'd be ecstatic. In fact, I feel fairly confident that the Alignment would... grant ye an encore? Curtain please...

https://youtu.be/8mxYHYXoCPs

Post by WeirdlyWired   » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:29 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Pretty much impossible. Washington burrocraps were killed, yes, but I doubt very much that every single state governor, vice-guv, and their subordinates were there as well. What about town mayors? Were they there? Aldermen? City council members? Dog catchers?
You all continue to miss big ol' Cheyenne mountain for the mole hill. They probably weren't there, no. But do you really think the Alignment would care if the Manticoran government were replaced by Aldermen, City council members or dog catchers? I'd think they'd be ecstatic. In fact, I feel fairly confident that the Alignment would... grant ye an encore? Curtain please...

https://youtu.be/8mxYHYXoCPs[/quote]

If we're accepting nominations for next ruer, I nominate Stacey Hauptmann. Talk about tossing the Hexapuma and getting a Peak Bear!
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote:If we're accepting nominations for next ruer, I nominate Stacey Hauptmann. Talk about tossing the Hexapuma and getting a Peak Bear!

I like the way you think. They're friends too. Sure would be alright by Honor. Talk about a planet bootstrapping itself and raising up from the ashes. If anyone could assert some sort of claim for being the most ideal for the position is the Hauptmans. Heck, they probably even have stock in it. NPI.

Love the Hexapuma to Peak Bear allegory. A seemingly bigger mistake than the one made by the Havenites.

Post by WeirdlyWired   » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:05 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

cthia wrote: I like the way you think. They're friends too. Sure would be alright by Honor. Talk about a planet bootstrapping itself and raising up from the ashes. If anyone could assert some sort of claim for being the most ideal for the position is the Hauptmans. Heck, they probably even have stock in it. NPI.

Love the Hexapuma to Peak Bear allegory. A seemingly bigger mistake than the one made by the Havenites.

Honor should be busy enough with her Steading. And something would have to give. Seems She ran afoul of Grayson law once before after her escape from Grayson. No way she and Benjamin he can explain away the entire SEM military.

now we have to hope Stacey isn't as opposed to titles as her father.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:14 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:
Also, would Honor becoming Queen or even Regent cause unforeseen political problems for Benjamin on Grayson with the petty set of Keys? Or cause problems for Honor herself?

Part of the problem with the ESN was that Honor was acting as a Grayson officer when she commanded the "escaped" prisoners on Hell, and then the ESN. Which put her in violation of the Grayson prohibition of Steadholders having their own armed forces (other than the size-limited, oath-sworn Guard). None of the Keys have objected to Admiral the Duchess Harrington commanding RMN forces. There was some discussion on the board of having the GSN offer the services of Admiral the Steadholder Harrington to the Alliance if there was ever an undesirable change in government in the SEM.

Return to Honorverse