Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Renegade Legion

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Renegade Legion
Post by MAD-4A   » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:01 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Another FASA game I really liked was Renegade Legion I have all 3 games in the series; Interceptor First Line of Defense, Centurion Blood and Steel and Leviathan Ships of the Line.

I understand that it was originally intended as the Star Wars space combat game but fell out with LA.

I haven't gotten to play it much though, I played 1 Interceptor battle with some minis a friend had. I played 1 battle with Centurion (loved it), and played the Kraken Adventure, only the 1st 3 scenarios, I was playing the RL/Commonwealth/adversaries against the Kraken and on the 3rd scenario, he got cocky, I got s point blank shot right down the Krakens bow with everything, and hit her main engines (yea in the rear) they went up, I lost half of MY battleship in the blast, end of adventure!

I've been looking for players ever since but haven't found many, ran Leviathan at a Con once but as GM couldn't play it, myself.

I downloaded the blank PDFs a couple of years ago with the intent of posting clean sheets of all the units, but can't find the site now, I have finished complete PDFs of ALL of the Leviathan units, including each size units of each type of fighter (including those in the fighter books) as well as all of the unique ships, from the supplements I have, and a 'generic' dead average fighter unit for each side (calculated the average stats for all of the fighter types each side has and multiplied per unit size - so you can assign an 'average/mixed' Group/Flight/etc... without having to calculate for each possible 'mixture' - the book says that units larger than squadrons are rarely homogenous).

I am currently working on cleaning up (depixelating) the Interceptor sheet to make PDFs of each of the Fighter sheets, (when I get done I'll do the Centurions)
Last edited by MAD-4A on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Re: Renegade Legion
Post by Senior Chief   » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:15 am

Senior Chief
Commander

MAD-4A wrote:Another FASA game I really liked was Renegade Legion I have all 3 games in the series; Interceptor First Line of Defense, Centurion Blood and Steel and Leviathan Ships of the Line.

I understand that it was originally intended as the Star Wars space combat game but fell out with LA.

I haven't gotten to play it much though, I played 1 Interceptor battle with some minis a friend had. I played 1 battle with Centurion (loved it), and played the Kraken Adventure, only the 1st 3 scenarios, I was playing the RL/Commonwealth/adversaries against the Kraken and on the 3rd scenario, he got cocky, I got s point blank shot right down the Krakens bow with everything, and hit her main engines (yea in the rear) they went up, end of adventure!

I've been looking for players ever since but haven't found many, ran Leviathan at a Con once but as GM couldn't play, myself.

I downloaded the blank PDFs a couple of years ago with the intent of posting clean sheets of all the units but can't find the sight now, I have completed complete PDFs of ALL of the Leviathan units, including each size units of each type of fighter (including those in the fighter books) as well as all of the unique ships from the supplements I have and a 'generic' of average fighter unit for each side (calculated the average stats for all of the fighter types each side has and multiplied per unit size - so you can assign an 'average/mixed' Group/Flight etc... without having to calculate for each possible 'mixture' - the book says that units larger than squadrons are rarely homogenous).

I am currently workin on cleaning up (depixelating) the Interceptor sheet to make PDFs of each of the Fighter sheets, (when I get done I'll do the Centurions)

I have played all three games. I am wondering if I still have all the rules for the games; if I do they are in a file cabinet in the garage. I had the miniatures for the first two games but Fasa never came out with miniatures for Levaithan.
Post by MAD-4A   » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:35 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Senior Chief wrote:I have played all three games. I am wondering if I still have all the rules for the games; if I do they are in a file cabinet in the garage. I had the miniatures for the first two games but Fasa never came out with miniatures for Leviathan.
I only have a couple of the fighters and the full plastic GravTank pack (along with the original boxes). I plan to use Iron Wind BT Aerospace minis;
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=16_44_17 - Fighters, good for Interceptor.

A few can be used for Leviathan as well (some smaller ones for Corvettes, DDs and FFs some of the larger ones for CAs or BBs).

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=16_44_246 - Warships
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=16_44_324 - Smallcraft/Shuttles
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=16_44_248 - Dropships
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=16_44_247 - Dropships
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=16_44_249 - Jumpships, Many can be used in Leviathan (and some, particularly the shuttles as Corvettes) in Interceptor)
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=16_44_138Micro-Fighters, tiny (and cheap...or were, they tripled the price since I bought mine :o ) fighters. I have some extra steel 'antenna'/mounting poles from my Aerospace and BT minis which I cut into tiny pieces and glued to the bottoms of these. I took some magnetic stripping (like what is used for magnetic adds) cut them up and glued them to some large poker chips. I can then use the chips as the 'unit' and put different fighters on the chips to represent different fighter types. I have 4 colors so I can have up to 4 factions with each player getting a color or for normal 2 player games each can have 2 colors apiece. Each chip also received a color marking on it to differentiate different units on that side.
Here are some examples;
The Texas Class Battleship (my personal flagship, though mines metallic blue)
This one kind of looks like a Leviathan.
One of my favorites, the Lola class Destroyer (though for Leviathan I'll probably use it as a Cruiser, I have several), love those 4 big engines. :)
Just having an issue with Leviathans multi-hex firing arcs. The game scale is (if I remember right) 10km per hex, which means even the largest Leviathan can fit into a single hex, but they made the firing arcs (and original box counters) multiple hexes long (DDs-1, FFs-2, CAs-3 & BBs-4) which skews the firing arcs as well as the damage arcs. I'll probably just ignore it and use the DD arcs for every ship, but am trying to reconcile the rules with the minis, any suggestions?
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by MAD-4A   » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:46 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

I finished depixing the Interceptor record sheet last night. Now I'm starting on creating individual PDF sheets for all of the published fighters (including HT mods). when I finish them I'll do the Centurion Tanks.
-
Post by MAD-4A   » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:23 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

I made sheets for all of the Interceptors and found a (really bad) PDF of the PC sheet. I am now trying to fix/depix that sheet so I can make sheets for the Corvettes.
I will probably mod it some though (not just to add info not listed such as tonnage). They provided space for up to 34 weapons, none of the ships listed have half that many! I'll take some of that wasted space and put in other data. I added Weight, Initial Thrust Rating and Power Factors (since that's what they base relative value on - some "heavy" fighters are much lighters - weight-wise - than some "light" fighters), also the ships thrust rating can change during combat due to damage.
-
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:53 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

I designed a Strategic campaign for Leviathan each player will be an admiral commanding a Battle Fleet (8 full Battle Squadrons - 1-BB, 2-CAs, 1-FF, 4-DDs, 2-Cvts). Each strategic turn he is given 8 objectives (which he must assign Leviathans too, what the are... who cares they are just 'missions') these correspond to 8 objectives his opponent/s are assigned. each battle is worth progressively more VP (in the form of dice 1D4 for the first battle, 1D6 for the second etc... the 8th is worth 2D8) whoever wins rolls the VP dice and collects that many points. players can choose to withdraw (concede) or flee off the map (fighting withdrawal) when/if they choose (ships/fighters not capable of FTL/Recovery are lost/scuttled - that's what the Fighting withdrawal does - it allows those who have lost their FTL/carrier to remain on the board and fight it out where a plain concede ends the game right then and all FTL capable ships/fighters with carriers just go - no parting shots but non-FTLs are lost) Note: only the player who concedes looses his non-FTL units, if you loose your carrier/hangers but win the battle you keep your extra fighters that have no hangers to land on (picked up, gathered and transported by freighter etc...).

After all battles, there is a repair phase (as in the Kraken) then they reassign their ships/fighters for the next 8 battles as they choose, within limits;
Each Squadron (battle) can have:
1-BB, 2-CAs, 1-FF, 4-DDs, 4-Cvts. A CA can sub for a BB, FFs can sub for CAs and a DD can sub for the FF (only - Cvts are not Leviathans and cannot sub) all fighters must have working bays to participate (if you have more fighters that bays then the extras must stay with the 9th)
After the 1st round players may assign ships to a "9th" squadron (in the yards) for double the next round of repairs. these ships can take no action during the current round of battles.

Each individual battle has 3 phases:
Initial contact; each player declares visible ships by type (BB,CA,FF,DD, fighters/Cvts that will start the game in-play) any ship not launched (fighters, Cvts still in the bays) are not declared but will have to launch after play starts. Players may chose to concede (in order of who has the most current VP, only after the 1st Strategic round.) If a player concedes, no battle is fought but he receives a bonus to repair times for those ships (ran back to the yard early - haven't decided on bonus yet - less than 9th squadron)
LR Sensors; Each player declares specific classes (Shiva, Bantha, Lexington etc...) that are visible (not in bays). Again players may chose to concede (in order of who has the most current VP, only after the 1st Strategic round.) If a player concedes, no battle is fought but he receives a bonus to repair times for those ships (again - haven't decided on bonus yet - less than if they conceded on IC).
Engagement; Normal Leviathan game with the declared units (plus any that are concealed/launched after starting) until one side: concedes, leaves the board completely, or is destroyed.

I still have a few kinks to work out but have a preset TO&E for each TOG and RL/CW fleet. I am working on possibly allowing 'raiding/Patrolling' and/or reinforcement squadrons (after the 1st round) I think reinforcements will have a set force limit (1 CA, 2 FFs, 3 DDs, 4 Cvts + fighters carried - but cannot pre-launch as they are dropping out of T-Space into the battle). if called (in any round including IC or LR) they roll the same dice that the VP for the battle provide and have to wait that many game turns (not including IC/LR) for the reinforcements to arrive. if your current force is destroyed/flees before they show up on-board then they never arrived. So; you send in a force of 1-FF and 2-DDs into the 2nd battle (worth 1D6VP) on IC you find out that your opponent has sent in 1-CA and 3-DDs but you wait on LR you find out that his CA is one you haven't attacked (undamaged) yet but your 1st RF has a good CA and 2 more FFs so you declare your calling for your 1st RF. You roll 1D6 (the VP dice value - Note: this is not the VP for the game just your RF turn arrival and if the game is already started it that many more turns from when you rolled Your opponent can call for their own RF with their own roll as-well) and get a 5 (crap) your FF and 2 DDs have to dance around the map for 5 turns before your CA shows up. if they are all blown up before that then 1st RF never showed (and is still available for other battles - maybe that's where it was and why it didn't show, or just didn't get there in time?) for each additional attempt to call it, there is a +1 penalty to your dice (representing added confusion on the part of the squadron commander from various requests).

Working on adapting to BT
-
Post by MAD-4A   » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:46 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

When I finish, this may be adaptable to HH space system as-well.
-
Post by skychan   » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:19 pm

skychan
Midshipman

Hey, I know it's been a few years, but, I'm in Colorado if you want another player, or to share lovely uploaded PDF's with.

I also love the Centurion Blood and Steel grav tank combat if you're interested.

Return to Free-Range Topics...