Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

Detweiler and Sons

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Detweiler and Sons
Post by Jeroswen   » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:22 pm

Jeroswen
Lieutenant Commander

Ok I have been re-reading the series. There is a question I was hoping to find the answer to which I can't seem to find.

1. Why are Detweiler's sons clones of himself?
2. Why does he not have any biological sons?

He is married to improve the Detweiler genome, yet he cloned himself several times. This is an issue that always bugged me that I hoped would be resolved when re-reading the series. Has their been any talk of this? I searched the boards and haven't found anything, so if this is a re-hash of a previous question I apologize.
Re: Detweiler and Sons
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:06 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Jeroswen wrote:Ok I have been re-reading the series. There is a question I was hoping to find the answer to which I can't seem to find.

He is married to improve the Detweiler genome, yet he cloned himself several times. This is an issue that always bugged me that I hoped would be resolved when re-reading the series. Has their been any talk of this? I searched the boards and haven't found anything, so if this is a re-hash of a previous question I apologize.

I believe that was a decision by the Long Range Planning Committee. You know, the same people who screwed up massively with Simöes foster daughter.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:38 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jeroswen wrote:Ok I have been re-reading the series. There is a question I was hoping to find the answer to which I can't seem to find.

There are clones of "Alpha-1" because the Malign apparently doesn't condone polygamy. Five to eight Clones can sire five to eight Detweiler lines instead of a single Detweiler line. Albrecht could do the same on his own with five to eight wives/concubines. 8-)

The Detweiler Line is considered the ultimate Alpha line -- at least by Albrecht -- so there is no particular rush on his part to "improve on perfection." The LRPB might disagree with him on that point, but he's in charge so not very adamantly.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Jeroswen   » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Jeroswen
Lieutenant Commander

Both of your responses are thoughts I have had myself but I haven't seen it mentioned in any books. Although in my own head a society bent on further advancing the human genome would be fathering children from various other alpha lines without the need for clones. I doubt they would be worried too much about something as frivolous a monogamous relationship where advancing humanity is concerned. So the clone issue kind of sticks in my craw as it were. Like you both say, there could be many reasons for the clones, its just ... odd.

If its, just one of those things, then I'll let it go. I was just curious if Mr. Weber had explained it in any books.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:09 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Jeroswen wrote:Both of your responses are thoughts I have had myself but I haven't seen it mentioned in any books. Although in my own head a society bent on further advancing the human genome would be fathering children from various other alpha lines without the need for clones. I doubt they would be worried too much about something as frivolous a monogamous relationship where advancing humanity is concerned. So the clone issue kind of sticks in my craw as it were. Like you both say, there could be many reasons for the clones, its just ... odd.

If its, just one of those things, then I'll let it go. I was just curious if Mr. Weber had explained it in any books.

Yes, but I don't offhand know which one, or I'd have given you the reference. Weird Harold's surmise is close to what I remember, but it was the Long Range Planning Board's decision, not Albrecht's. The fact that they were running close to pulling the trigger made them decide to go conservative: clone Albrecht rather than see what they could get out of more mix-and-match.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:40 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jeroswen wrote:So the clone issue kind of sticks in my craw as it were. Like you both say, there could be many reasons for the clones, its just ... odd.

Trying to follow the MAlign's logic in almost anything is difficult because what most people would think is their best course of action isn't even close to what they have done or planned.

In order to understand their logic, you have to think like an Ubermensch with delusions of grandeur.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:41 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Here it is:

On 2014-04-14 RFC wrote:Since I’ve already wandered somewhat afield from the topic I originally set out to discuss, I should also point out that Albrecht Detweiler and his sons are not clones of Leonard Detweiler. They are, in effect, the current generation of the steadily improved Detweiler genotype. Remember we’re talking about a prolong society here, and the actual age difference between Albrecht and Benjamin isn’t very great for that sort of society. Nor are the offspring of the Detweiler “sons” genetic duplicates of their parents. Albrecht was cloned, frankly, because by all of the tests the Alignment could apply, he was going to be an incredibly capable generalist and leader and the Long-Range Planning Board decided that given how far into the endgame of the Alignment’s strategy they were, it made a great deal of sense to provide an entire cohort of equally capable leaders to whom Albrecht could delegate areas of responsibility.
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:13 am

Fox2!
Commodore

JohnRoth wrote:
Jeroswen wrote:Both of your responses are thoughts I have had myself but I haven't seen it mentioned in any books. Although in my own head a society bent on further advancing the human genome would be fathering children from various other alpha lines without the need for clones. I doubt they would be worried too much about something as frivolous a monogamous relationship where advancing humanity is concerned. So the clone issue kind of sticks in my craw as it were. Like you both say, there could be many reasons for the clones, its just ... odd.

Yes, but I don't offhand know which one, or I'd have given you the reference. Weird Harold's surmise is close to what I remember, but it was the Long Range Planning Board's decision, not Albrecht's. The fact that they were running close to pulling the trigger made them decide to go conservative: clone Albrecht rather than see what they could get out of more mix-and-match.

I would think "do both." The clones are tactical choices for the near term problem. The "mix and match" would continue the "perfection" of the Detweiler genome.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:57 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

But,hey, "natural genetic combinations" are too messy, too random. who can predict what the result will be. "Genegineering" may not be simple but it is exquisitely predictable and non-random. And even with that there is still "random outcomes" like the instability inthe Bardassano genome which Isabel did not exhibit to its worst.

And the potential cross of the Bardasano and Detweiler genes?

Completely bizarre. gene editing all the way.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:53 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:Yes, but I don't offhand know which one, or I'd have given you the reference. Weird Harold's surmise is close to what I remember, but it was the Long Range Planning Board's decision, not Albrecht's. The fact that they were running close to pulling the trigger made them decide to go conservative: clone Albrecht rather than see what they could get out of more mix-and-match.

Fox2! wrote:I would think "do both." The clones are tactical choices for the near term problem. The "mix and match" would continue the "perfection" of the Detweiler genome.

And that's exactly what they did: Colin, for example, definitely is married and has children. They had headed for their "grandparents" just before Colin almost got killed in the Green Pines nuclear explosion.

Return to Honorverse