Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Safehold-At the sign of triumph

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Safehold-At the sign of triumph
Post by tommel   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:01 pm

tommel
Midshipman

Just got the Kindle edition, why was the character list omitted from the Kindle version? I really depend on it especially if new characters have been added.
Re: Safehold-At the sign of triumph
Post by Duckk   » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:16 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

David turned in the manuscript really late. In order to make the publishing date, both the maps and the character list were omitted.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by saber964   » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:04 pm

saber964
Admiral

Suggest you read the Author Note at the end of the book. It boils down to be was running late on getting the book to the publisher and didn't want to waste time writing another 40,000 words.
Post by 6L6   » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:31 pm

6L6
Commander

I would rather have the book at that date than another long list.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

6L6 wrote:I would rather have the book at that date than another long list.

Having just finished the book, I would rather have waited another six months or a year for a properly edited and proof-read version. A very good book, but I've seen better editing and proof-reading in amateur online fiction.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:27 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Having just finished the book, I would rather have waited another six months or a year for a properly edited and proof-read version. A very good book, but I've seen better editing and proof-reading in amateur online fiction.

But how many of the typos etc actually seriously affected your understanding of the book? There was one point in the snippets where there was some confusion, and one point near the end where I had to think what was meant for, oh, about 5 seconds. Other than that I was so caught up in the story I hardly noticed. Having seen the kind of delay missing a publishing slot can produce before, I am grateful that RFC wrote himself into the ground to get the book out in time.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:33 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:But how many of the typos etc actually seriously affected your understanding of the book?

Damned few. However, that doesn't mean they didn't disrupt the flow of narration or that I didn't have to go back and re-read and re-parse things.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by 6L6   » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:55 am

6L6
Commander

we all have different likes, I'm glad RFC finished that arc. waiting for the next.
Post by ggunn   » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:08 am

ggunn
Midshipman

Weird Harold wrote:
Randomiser wrote:But how many of the typos etc actually seriously affected your understanding of the book?

Damned few. However, that doesn't mean they didn't disrupt the flow of narration or that I didn't have to go back and re-read and re-parse things.

I agree with you completely. In fact, I posted something critical of the substandard proofreading/editing in this installment before I read yours. While a good story is a good story even if it is written in crayon on a Big Chief tablet, one mark of really good literature is tight concise writing with no grammatical or spelling errors. When I encounter "to" when it should be "too", or a subject-verb disagreement, it breaks the spell for me. Momentarily, sure, but just the same it is a flaw that should not be there. I cannot believe that correcting these errors would have taken that long; I spotted them on one reading. I could have fixed them in a week and I am no English Major.

Cheers,
Gordon
Austin, TX
Post by MrZero   » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:05 am

MrZero
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

What we need out of a character list at this point is a "Live" "Dead" checklist. :lol:

I didn't like the spelling errors either, but, being from the pre-internet way of books I tend to let the first few slide. For some it was a way of watermarking your work. Or playing find-the-word with vertical reading. I wonder if Weber has put in any, or that thing with the first letter of every word in every line.

Return to Safehold