Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 43 guests

Travis Long & his lack of recognition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Travis Long & his lack of recognition
Post by Vince   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:08 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

Fox2! wrote:Would you prefer
Turkey trots to water?
Rincewind wrote:Okay, so now you've got me. What does that mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_world_wonders
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:05 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:
Fox2! wrote:
Would you prefer "Turkey trots to water?"

Okay, so now you've got me. What does that mean?
Or my shorter version (which I wrote up before noticing Vince had replied on the next page)

It was the other part of the padding on the famous message to Halsey during the Battle of Leyte Gulf

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS

Failing to remove the trailing padding "THE WORLD WONDERS" caused what was supposed to be an information update request (along the lines of "hey, I know we talked about possibly splitting off the BBs; let me know if they're with you or split off so I can visualize where all our forces are") and turned it into what appeared to be a stinging rebuke ("WFT, you promised to leave your BBs to guard my landing forces, where the hell are they!!!")

As a consequence Halsey turned changed plans, instead of finishing off the Japanese carriers, but still failed to get back in time to hit the other Japanese force.
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:45 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Rincewind wrote:
Fox2! wrote:
Would you prefer Turkey trots to water?

Okay, so now you've got me. What does that mean?

As noted above, part of one of the greatest "failures to communicate" in military history. And a contribution to the fog of war.
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:19 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

A LOT of speculation had been generated on whether or not the leading and trailing segments of the message were intended as a slap at Halesy. There was some argument that it was just sequential (you really do need to have consistant sources of prefix and suffer line) from "regular" coding or if somebody (NEVER IDENTIIED) plucked that partiacular pair out of their mind for the message. it certainly caused a stir and got Halesy riled up.

Nobody has proved anything to anybody's satisfaction either way. IF it was someone takeing a shot a Halsey, they seem to have escaped all the fallout.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:23 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:A LOT of speculation had been generated on whether or not the leading and trailing segments of the message were intended as a slap at Halesy. There was some argument that it was just sequential (you really do need to have consistant sources of prefix and suffer line) from "regular" coding or if somebody (NEVER IDENTIIED) plucked that partiacular pair out of their mind for the message. it certainly caused a stir and got Halesy riled up.

Nobody has proved anything to anybody's satisfaction either way. IF it was someone takeing a shot a Halsey, they seem to have escaped all the fallout.

The thing is as an attempt to dig at Halsey it's pretty weak since, it the comm guy decrypting the message does his job right Halsey never sees the padding.
Apparently New Jersey was the only ship that didn't remove that tail padding message.

That doesn't rule out a crypto guy picking something to burn Halsey even if only to the relatively few crypto guys deciding the message; but that seems less plausible to me than a stupid selection of padding.
Post by Fox2!   » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:27 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

tsingel001 wrote:OK, wild hair. The countess is going to use Travis to figure out why they were attacked. His out of the box thinking is going to to lead him to discover the Junction.

My two cents.

OK, so in two weeks to two months, Score Settler shows up in Manticore, expecting to find the Volsungs in control of the system. Donnelly, Metzger, even Chomps, recognize her name from their adventures in Casca. Can they persuade somebody to put a destroyer, or even a frigate, alongside her, and send a boarding party to invite Mr. Llyn to Mount Royal for a discussion with King Edward (I would add "and the Royal Torturers" but I am sure that the position is vacant).
Post by Rincewind   » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Fox2! wrote:Would you prefer Turkey trots to water?

Rincewind wrote:Okay, so now you've got me. What does that mean?

Fox2! wrote:As noted above, part of one of the greatest "failures to communicate" in military history. And a contribution to the fog of war.

I have to admit I never knew the other parts of the message that were padding. Every account I have ever read concentrated on 'The World Wonders' (& also the coincidence that the battle occurred on the same day as the (in)famous 'Charge of the Light Brigade.'
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:56 am

Fox2!
Commodore

munroburton wrote:
It's been noticed before. Princess Sophia almost certainly dies young.

Some people have suspicions about Elizabeth II Winton. A lot of people around her have died prematurely - not just the four royals ahead of her in the succession, but also her first husband. In a hunting accident.

Wonder if one of her middle names is Cersei.

Lucrezia.
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:11 am

Fox2!
Commodore

d-eye wrote:
filbert wrote:2) It explains why nobody knows about Travis in Honor's time (duh).

slight snerk.
That has been rectified in SoV in a certain characters ancestry and relative's middle name

To not so subtly drag this defunct strand back to it's original purpose..

And the rank and title of one of their relatives....

Say no more....
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:15 am

Fox2!
Commodore

munroburton wrote:
wrlee1966 wrote:and I find it interesting that now that Prince Richard is dead that the heir should be princess Sophia. But if you look in House of steel you will see Edward dies in 1544 And his heir is his sister Elizabeth not Sophia. So the end of ACTA ended in 1543. So we should find out in the next book about this. I hope RFC remembered his continuity.

It's been noticed before. Princess Sophia almost certainly dies young.

Some people have suspicions about Elizabeth II Winton. A lot of people around her have died prematurely - not just the four royals ahead of her in the succession, but also her first husband. In a hunting accident.

Wonder if one of her middle names is Cersei.

Someplace, somewhere, Elizabeth Winton, Third of her name, speculates on the fact that all three of the Kings of Manticore who have heirs named "Elizabeth" have met untimely ends.

Return to Honorverse