Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Maps for At the Sign of Triumph

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
SPOILER--Re: (STICKY) Maps for At the Sign of Triumph-SPOILE
Post by lyonheart   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:19 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi DMCunney,

Kudos for some pretty darn good guesses!

You missed on Stohnar beheading with the LP's sword, but your reasoning was excellent, it would have been great theater; and only on location for Clyntahn, which is far above average!

Looking forward to more excellent insights.

L

DMcCunney"quote="darcwar"*[quote="DMcCunney wrote:Much as it galls him, Cayleb is Emperor of Charis, and the place he has to be is in Siddar City, in daily touch with his ally Lord Protector Stohnar. (Come to think of it, Stohnar would raise strong objections to Cayleb going along on that ride. Cayleb has no more business doing so than he would have going along with one of his generals when the Army of Siddermark takes the field against the AOG. Stohnar rose to regimental command in the Siddermark Army before entering politics, and you can assume he'd love to be personally leading part of the assault, but he is Lord Protector of Siddermark, and he knows his place is at HQ in Siddar City.)

I'm afraid Cayleb will have to settle for observing via SNARC.
When/if it enters Temple Bay - now, that's a different matter! :D[/quote]We can assume Cayleb will at least get to go to Zion to watch Zhaspar Clyntahn hang. So will Sharleyan, and I didn't think anyone in the EoC will object to both being absent from the dual capitals of the empire at once. They'll be representing everyone in the Empire, and you can assume packed houses in Tellesberg and Cheryath cathedrals when they get back and recount it in detail to their people. :P

(And come to think of it, since beheading is also a traditional form of execution on Safehold, given what Siddarmark suffered in the Sword of Schueler, it might be quite appropriate for Lord Protector Stohnar to use the sword passed down from the first Lord Protector to separate Clyntahn's head from his body instead of hanging him.)

fallsfromtrees wrote:Actually since there may well be serious negotiation to be done to get Dohlar out of the war, he may well be allowed to go to Gorath Bay (after it has been subdued, so he won't be sailing in on the lead ship, but he may well get to go to Gorath.
Possible. If getting Dohlor out of the Jihad and on the sidelines involves a formal treaty between Cayleb and whoever replaces Rahnyld, Cayleb might get away to do the signing. (And since Rahynyld's head is likely to be a non-negotiable demand on the part of Charis in any peace settlement, I'm sure Cayleb will want to be there to observe Rahnyld's demise on behalf of the ICN.)
_______
Dennis[/quote]
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Re: SPOILER--Re: (STICKY) Maps for At the Sign of Triumph-SP
Post by DMcCunney   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:16 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

lyonheart wrote:Hi DMCunney,

Kudos for some pretty darn good guesses!

Thank you.

You missed on Stohnar beheading with the LP's sword, but your reasoning was excellent, it would have been great theater; and only on location for Clyntahn, which is far above average!

I didn't think it would actually happen, but I agree it would be great theater, and appropriate.

(I also had the odd speculation of Zhaspar being subjected to the Punishment in the Plaza of Martyrs by members of the Temple Guard who had quite enough of the Inquisition and decided to do something about it. They'd lack the finesse of trained Inquisitors in carrying it out, but would more than make up for lack of technique with sheer enthusiasm. :mrgreen: )

Looking forward to more excellent insights.

I'm going to be a bit circumspect here, since I'm not willing to assume everyone reading this forum has gotten/read At the Sign of Triumph yet. I just got the electronic version a couple of days ago, and will be picking up the hardcover at an SF con next weekend.

That said:
I'm modestly pleased at properly guessing the importance of Bishop Maik in the Dohlor endgame. I strongly suspected he was as unhappy as Earl Thirsk about what Clyntahn was forcing on everyone, but had the twin shackles of sworn oaths and duty, and the need to stay alive to accomplish anything, just as Thirsk did.

I missed on one aspect of the Dohlor endgame in that I was pretty sure Cayleb would insist on Rahnyld's head on a platter, but the actual resolution was better long term, since the EoC would want to establish something like normal relations with Dohlor once it was out from under the thumb of the Inquisition. I did guess right that the Dohloran Army and Navy would play a role in removing the Inquisition's thumb by removing the Inquisitors. One thing I'd thought for a while was that the Inquisition was too used to ordering support from secular forces to enforce its decrees, and it never occurred to them that support might not be forthcoming.

And the sequence where Earl Thisk, Bishop Maik, and General Ahlverez announced the change in Dohlor management to Bishop Executor Lainyr and Intendant Kharmych had me grinning from ear to ear.

While I didn't see Major Phandys coming either, I did strongly suspect that at some point the Temple Guard/Army of God might decide they'd had enough of what was being required of them, too. Sure enough, they did.

Sharleyan's strategy to deal with the rebellious great nobles in Chisholm worked out roughly as I expected, and it was a tickle to virtually watch their faces as they discovered Sharleyan had been a jump ahead of them the entire time, they were fucked, and their next stop was a date with the headsman. And Merlin and Nimue took a good bit of personal satisfaction in hands on action to assist.

Zion finally erupting like the powder keg it was was also no surprise. I expected that to be a more likely outcome than the ICN sailing up Hsing Wu's passage and landing troops to physically occupy Zion. (Aside from the fact that no one on the Allies' side had any idea how whatever is under the Temple might react to such an incursion.) The EoC's strategy of always telling only the truth in the broadsheets Owl's remotes posted paid dividends as it became clearer that anything the Inquisition said was a lie, and an enormous number of folks simply no longer believed anything Clyntahn said. What would happen if Clyntahn's Inquisitors all suffered a mischief? Zhaspar found out the hard way.

I was curious to see what effect Merlin and Nimue's introduction to the Archangels would have on Clyntahn. Zhaspar was a megalomaniac sociopath. It's not clear whether other people were real to him, or simply objects in his landscape to be manipulated as desired. I could see him simply rejecting the whole presentation, or perhaps winding up in drooling catatonia when it was finally forced on him that he'd been wrong about everything, and his mind breaking in consequence.

There are all sorts of interesting questions about what comes next, but I'll save those for another post.
_______
Dennis
Re: (STICKY) Maps for At the Sign of Triumph
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:21 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

I am unable to find Shang-Mi, the capitol of Harchong on any maps... This may be worth knowing for the next book.

Also, a note for cartographer... Chisholm map needs the name of Lady K's district... I know it is between Rock Coast and Black Horse but that district has no name on it :roll: PICKY, PICKY, PICKY :P

LAST NOTE, I have clicked the Download option for maps but cannot find the file to save when I look where I normally would find such files. Is this a problem with my browser? I use FireFox

THANKS
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Re: (STICKY) Maps for At the Sign of Triumph
Post by DMcCunney   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:14 am

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

C. O. Thompson wrote:LAST NOTE, I have clicked the Download option for maps but cannot find the file to save when I look where I normally would find such files. Is this a problem with my browser? I use FireFox

I use Firefox too (and have used Mozilla code since it was the code name of an internal Netscape project.)

When I click Download on a map, it opens in a tab for viewing, and I can right click on the image and select Save Image As and select where I want to store it.
______
Dennis

Return to Safehold