Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 28 guests

Call to Vengeance release

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Call to Vengeance release
Post by Hornblower   » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:26 pm

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Eagleeye wrote:Baens own schedule page is listing the book for a March 2017 release; so now it is really official, I'd say. And if all goes well ... e-ARC could be a x-mas present, couldn't it? ;) *fingers crossed*

Call to Vengeance has disappeared from Baen schedule page. Amazom in Germany claims now March 6th 2018. :( Do anyone know anything on this subject.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:35 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Fiannawolf wrote:That reminds me, next payday Ill need to get this series anyway. I liked the samples provided so why not?

*sigh* darned books and their money stealing ways.

Only X shopping days left till X special occasion :P
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Fox2!   » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:53 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Eagleeye wrote:Baens own schedule page is listing the book for a March 2017 release; so now it is really official, I'd say. And if all goes well ... e-ARC could be a x-mas present, couldn't it? ;) *fingers crossed*

Early March publication date minus 6-8 weeks for the EARC makes it more of an Epiphany (Twelfth Night) gift than a Christmas gift.
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:16 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Fox2! wrote:

Early March publication date minus 6-8 weeks for the EARC makes it more of an Epiphany (Twelfth Night) gift than a Christmas gift.

It is no longer on the Baen publishing schedule page. A picture of the cover is on RFC's author page, but without any information. Which suggests sooner than March 2018.
Post by jaydub69   » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:25 pm

jaydub69
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

it is gone from baen and from amazon. did a search on both sites and nothing but redirects to the two earlier books. been looking forward to this release after the huge letdown of sov- but now????
Post by munroburton   » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:00 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Bear in mind that Tim Zahn made a fair chunk of his reputation writing Star Wars novels. IIRC, I saw something fairly recent about him doing a new Star Wars novel due in spring next year - titled Thrawn, essentially rebooting the eponymous character for the renewed franchise.

I like the Honorverse more, but I'm realist enough to know that the giant steamroller of Star Wars plus Disney will bump just about every competitor.

So don't be surprised if ACoV is delayed until after Thrawn.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:40 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

munroburton wrote:Bear in mind that Tim Zahn made a fair chunk of his reputation writing Star Wars novels. IIRC, I saw something fairly recent about him doing a new Star Wars novel due in spring next year - titled Thrawn, essentially rebooting the eponymous character for the renewed franchise.

I like the Honorverse more, but I'm realist enough to know that the giant steamroller of Star Wars plus Disney will bump just about every competitor.

OK, is this the time to start the entirely off-topic "Medusa vs Death Star" war? Katana vs. TIE?
Post by ncwolf   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:52 am

ncwolf
Commander

Fox2! wrote:
munroburton wrote:Bear in mind that Tim Zahn made a fair chunk of his reputation writing Star Wars novels. IIRC, I saw something fairly recent about him doing a new Star Wars novel due in spring next year - titled Thrawn, essentially rebooting the eponymous character for the renewed franchise.

OK, is this the time to start the entirely off-topic "Medusa vs Death Star" war? Katana vs. TIE?

Sure, why not. Is the Empire lacking in missile defense or can turbo lasers work for that? (They seem too slow to me.) What is the range of of turbo lasers? Can we a size comparison?

I haven't any / much Star Wars fiction; I recognized Zahn's name belatedly as the author of the Soulminder series in <i>Analog</i> in the late '80s to early '90s.

Without having good numbers on TIE fighter's speed, it's hard to say if a Katana LAC could take one, but the Katana is larger, I'm pretty sure having multiple crew and TIE fighter having a crew of one.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:32 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ncwolf wrote:Without having good numbers on TIE fighter's speed, it's hard to say if a Katana LAC could take one, but the Katana is larger, I'm pretty sure having multiple crew and TIE fighter having a crew of one.

Well classic TIE fighters famously have no no shields, and they're bigger, and slower, than a missile - so I expect the SD grade PDLC's the Katana's have would rip them apart if they got within 100,000 km or so. (Though they can corner like nothing in the Honorverse; but against lightspeed weapons at that range I can't imagine that helping them)
Post by munroburton   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:41 am

munroburton
Admiral

ncwolf wrote:Without having good numbers on TIE fighter's speed, it's hard to say if a Katana LAC could take one, but the Katana is larger, I'm pretty sure having multiple crew and TIE fighter having a crew of one.

100 MGLT, I believe. :roll:

1 MGLT/hour ≈ 1 meter/second, 3.6 kilometers/hour, and 2.23694 miles per hour

Return to Honorverse