Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I was under the impression that all treecats on Sphinx were pretty much contained in a wooded picketwood area however many square miles. Totally away from humans and secluded. But now I remember that Honor hiked to Nimitz' clan, iirc. Which couldn't have been as remote as I was thinking, if she hiked there.

Well, yes and no.

Treecats are primarily found in picketwood "forests" but picketwood pretty much covers the planet. Picketwood is described as pretty much one organism that spreads by dropping a new node/runner from each branch.

IIRC, textev says it is possible to circumnavigate the planet without ever touching the ground by moving along picketwood branches.

Treecat clans deliberately hid from "two-legs" for a couple of centuries and then hid their intelligence for a couple more before they established their extra-planetary colonies and learned to sign.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by RedBaron   » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:17 am

RedBaron

cthia wrote:
Duckk wrote:So you're positing that literally everyone is gone except for Honor? How this an interesting question then? If literally the entire government disappears, it's anarchy, pure and simple.

How would this be interesting? You have got to be kidding or are patient Zero of the dreaded "can't can't" disease named after its discoverer, the Red Baron. (Thanks for tainting the pool.)

Yet, this possibility is the reality of such a thing as an Eridani violation in the Honorverse. We have always overlooked such a catastrophic cost in key figures rather than incidental lives, infrastructure and ships.

Technological advancements further catastrophic ramifications. There was once a mass exodus of my family members overseas to a particular event. It was planned for all of us to fly in two separate jets. Someone suggested that we spread it out even further.

Holy s***.... what have I started.....
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:00 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Weird Harold wrote:
Vince wrote:For Grayson, I can't remember if any additional treecats went there after the initial group that Honor provided transportation to in In Enemy Hands.

There is also passing mention of a colony on Gryphon and at Jason Bay, on Manticore. Also, there are all of the treecats sent to Haven and dispersed among the Navies of the GA.

That's great for Scouts and Hunters. How many females are off-Gryphon? Any memory singers besides Samantha?
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:27 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:That's great for Scouts and Hunters. How many females are off-Gryphon? Any memory singers besides Samantha?

No Idea. AFAIK, there is no census of Treecats off sphinx other than the initial group going to Grayson. Hera might be a memory singer, but there's nothing I recall that would confirm that.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Rincewind   » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:45 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Potato wrote:
munroburton wrote:It's not that far out. Indeed, one doesn't need to resort to an Eridani Edict violation to accomplish such goals.

See how the Harris government ended.

The distinction here is that cthia is proposing to kill everyone who could possibly supersede Honor or organize a provisional government. Pierre simply killed the Legislaturists. He still had full access and use of all the bureaucracies and their records, plus the full support of the Senate. In essence, Pierre simply bombed the White House; cthia is bombing the entire continent. And even in the aftermath of the attack, Pierre still had to spend a couple years hunting down loyalists - his control of the People's Republic was far from assured.

Well, in one case you are all forgetting something is that the Star Kingdom of Manticore is not a single planet! Even if you manage to wipe out Manticore there is still Sphinx & Gryphon who would have their own dukes & whatnot who are also in line of succession. And then, even if you somehow manage to wipe out those two planets simultaneously with Manticore there is still Trevor's Star & Lynx who are considered part of the Old Star Kingdom. And that doesn't even include the Talbott Sector as Medusa is a noble & therefore would be in the line of succession, however remotely.

There will always be at least some form of government around which a rump or nation in exile could coalesce & as a lot of the RMN is still scattered around various stations it would quite a formidable naval strength... who have all got blood in their eye & no home nation anymore to be threatened with reprisals. Would you really want to piss THEM off?
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Potato wrote:
munroburton wrote:It's not that far out. Indeed, one doesn't need to resort to an Eridani Edict violation to accomplish such goals.

See how the Harris government ended.

The distinction here is that cthia is proposing to kill everyone who could possibly supersede Honor or organize a provisional government. Pierre simply killed the Legislaturists. He still had full access and use of all the bureaucracies and their records, plus the full support of the Senate. In essence, Pierre simply bombed the White House; cthia is bombing the entire continent. And even in the aftermath of the attack, Pierre still had to spend a couple years hunting down loyalists - his control of the People's Republic was far from assured.
Rincewind wrote:Well, in one case you are all forgetting something is that the Star Kingdom of Manticore is not a single planet! Even if you manage to wipe out Manticore there is still Sphinx & Gryphon who would have their own dukes & whatnot who are also in line of succession. And then, even if you somehow manage to wipe out those two planets simultaneously with Manticore there is still Trevor's Star & Lynx who are considered part of the Old Star Kingdom. And that doesn't even include the Talbott Sector as Medusa is a noble & therefore would be in the line of succession, however remotely.

There will always be at least some form of government around which a rump or nation in exile could coalesce & as a lot of the RMN is still scattered around various stations it would quite a formidable naval strength... who have all got blood in their eye & no home nation anymore to be threatened with reprisals. Would you really want to piss THEM off?

I have never known fear of "pissing someone off" to be enough to deter war. War starts because one or more parties is already "pissed off."

The MAlign were so pissed off that they began a centuries long plan centuries ago to get even with Beowulf and the establishment - the 'Stick it to the man' plan. Talk about holding a grudge. And, apparently, they are still pissed off.

And it is obvious that the MAlign are not afraid of reprisals.

Besides, none of that matters Rincewind. The MAlign simply wanted to succeed where Haven didn't. They wanted to derail the government—long enough.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Potato wrote:And when was the last time you had 5500 of your relatives over, hmm? Hell, when have you had even one-tenth of that? How oblivious can you be? This is just like your silly "pirate battlecruiser" topic! No one in the world makes plans like this.

If they were relatives like you, I didn't.

I'll just consider the source.

My soon to be 15-yr-old—genius of a niece—was rereading this thread and became quite annoyed with me for improperly responding with fact. I was too annoyed at the time.

I am part Native American and we consistently have 1-3+ thousand people over twice a year in a private Pow Wow which changes location. The public Pow Wow, one in which anyone can attend has been known to reach an attendance approaching four thousand people. These are very popular events. People come from across the globe to witness tradition—from how to make moccasins, properly tan leather, extract honey from stingerless bees living in logs, how to preserve meat, hunt, trap, how to make jerky and the ever insanely popular, original "pemmican" recipe done the traditional native way—which was taught to the cowboys and was instrumental in settling the west.

One of my Aunts is married to and affiliated with the Mt. Juliet Pow Wow whose 35th annual event netted 5,000 people—in the news recently because of the oil pipeline crisis and travesty of justice.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/lo ... /90900702/

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by stewart   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:17 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Summary comment --

I nominate GWEN Archer as King.
(background music from Wizard of Oz -- "If I Were King Of The Forest ..." )

-- Stewart
Post by John Prigent   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:31 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Your aunt is married to the Pow Wow? What, all 5,000 attendees :o ? I think there may be a word or two missing from that sentence :lol: .
Cheers, John

cthia wrote:[I am part Native American and we consistently have 1-3+ thousand people over twice a year in a private Pow Wow which changes location. The public Pow Wow, one in which anyone can attend has been known to reach an attendance approaching four thousand people. These are very popular events. People come from across the globe to witness tradition—from how to make moccasins, properly tan leather, extract honey from stingerless bees living in logs, how to preserve meat, hunt, trap, how to make jerky and the ever insanely popular, original "pemmican" recipe done the traditional native way—which was taught to the cowboys and was instrumental in settling the west.

One of my Aunts is married to and affiliated with the Mt. Juliet Pow Wow whose 35th annual event netted 5,000 people—in the news recently because of the oil pipeline crisis and travesty of justice.

Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

We say she's married to it because she spends so much of her time organizing it. There is so much that goes into planning these events and coordinating the activities. Activities which seems to grow by leaps and bounds each year. There is traditional music and traditional dance that has so many applicants wanting to showcase their talents. The traditional garb that you see is all handmade -- per rules. The archery contests have to keep pace with changing winners throughout the year. As are the very prestigious "smoke signal" contests. A past winner from each event may have been dethroned during the year from a private Pow Wow. As is the case from each event.

At any rate, the talents and responsibilities of these organizers are many. Hence, they have to be married to the commitment.
John Prigent wrote:Your aunt is married to the Pow Wow? What, all 5,000 attendees :o ? I think there may be a word or two missing from that sentence :lol: .
Cheers, John

cthia wrote:[I am part Native American and we consistently have 1-3+ thousand people over twice a year in a private Pow Wow which changes location. The public Pow Wow, one in which anyone can attend has been known to reach an attendance approaching four thousand people. These are very popular events. People come from across the globe to witness tradition—from how to make moccasins, properly tan leather, extract honey from stingerless bees living in logs, how to preserve meat, hunt, trap, how to make jerky and the ever insanely popular, original "pemmican" recipe done the traditional native way—which was taught to the cowboys and was instrumental in settling the west.

Return to Honorverse