Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

SO what do I do now?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
SO what do I do now?
Post by Larry   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:28 pm

Larry
Lieutenant Commander

Well fellow gentle readers, I am now in a quandary. I have polished off Shadow of Victory and At the Sign of Triumph. The elections are over and no truly stunning technological revolutions appear in the offing. Having read all the books on my waiting list what am I to do with my spare time now? Oh sure there's the boring little matter of home repairs and school and work and helping out with my aging and ill relatives, but what I mean is What can I do for fun? Honestly All I see now is chores. Somehow now that I don't have the anticipation of waiting on the next DW missive I, well I just don't know what to do? My gosh, must I return to <Dare I say it> reality???
But it seems so grey, and dull!

Sigh

Larry
Re: SO what do I do now?
Post by John Prigent   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:43 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Dive into a different universe, Larry! Try my friend Anthony Riches' Roman Army stories, or those of Simon Scarrow set 60 or so years earlier. If you like military SF with good characterisation I think you'd like both authors.

Cheers, John

Larry wrote:Well fellow gentle readers, I am now in a quandary. I have polished off Shadow of Victory and At the Sign of Triumph. The elections are over and no truly stunning technological revolutions appear in the offing. Having read all the books on my waiting list what am I to do with my spare time now? Oh sure there's the boring little matter of home repairs and school and work and helping out with my aging and ill relatives, but what I mean is What can I do for fun? Honestly All I see now is chores. Somehow now that I don't have the anticipation of waiting on the next DW missive I, well I just don't know what to do? My gosh, must I return to <Dare I say it> reality???

Sigh

Larry
Post by Stormy   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:51 pm

Stormy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Having that problem myself ... Going to be a really long year or so.

(Is it in bad taste to recommend another author on an author's website? Sorry if so!)

But you might check out Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria and New Empire series. There are six finished books in the Riyria Revelations, that arc is complete and 3 in the Chronicles series, plus one in the Empire series. They are fantasy rather than Science Fiction and completely different from this series but well written as well.

I reread them all waiting for At the Sign of Triumph to come out, so it's on my mind ...
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:35 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

also consider works by Glynn Stewart.

try The Terran Privateer first and if you enjoy it look up his Castle Federation and jumpship Mage books.

short compared to RFC 700+ page tomes but he fits a lot into those pages.

also try Evan Currie, either his "odyssey one" series or his "on Silver Wings" books.
Post by GlynnStewart   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:31 pm

GlynnStewart
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Dauntless wrote:also consider works by Glynn Stewart.

try The Terran Privateer first and if you enjoy it look up his Castle Federation and jumpship Mage books.

short compared to RFC 700+ page tomes but he fits a lot into those pages.

also try Evan Currie, either his "odyssey one" series or his "on Silver Wings" books.

Second both of these (one for reasons that should be VERY obvious!)

For traditionally published books, I'd suggest checking out Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series if you haven't.

If you're dipping into indie SF, there is a lot of good stuff out there. Evan Currie is high on my usual list of recommendations. So is Richard Tongue's Battlecruiser Alamo series.

Military SF and Space Opera are currently undergoing a major content overload on Amazon after a number of authors were very successful in the space. Some of the follow-the-leaders are not great. Some are brilliant.
I try and read most of the top ones for market research and even I can't keep up right now!
Post by jtg452   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:34 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Larry wrote:Well fellow gentle readers, I am now in a quandary. I have polished off Shadow of Victory and At the Sign of Triumph. The elections are over and no truly stunning technological revolutions appear in the offing. Having read all the books on my waiting list what am I to do with my spare time now? Oh sure there's the boring little matter of home repairs and school and work and helping out with my aging and ill relatives, but what I mean is What can I do for fun? Honestly All I see now is chores. Somehow now that I don't have the anticipation of waiting on the next DW missive I, well I just don't know what to do? My gosh, must I return to <Dare I say it> reality???

Sigh

Larry

If you're willing to try some historical fiction, Bernard Cornwell has the last book of the Saxon series (the BBC show the Last Kingdom is based on it) coming out at the end of the month.

That means you can read the whole series from beginning to end without having to wait a year or two (or three) between books.

As good as the series may be (and it is quite good), they don't hold a candle to the books.
Post by durns   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:40 pm

durns
Midshipman

Been stalkin' these here forums for a while. So, my first post, I guess. Yay me.

Anyway. More recommendations, please, be so kind.

My suggestion would be Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson. Reminded me somewhat of Safehold. Completely different world (alternative history) and yet somewhat similar. Not as good (at least in my not so humble personal opinion) but well worth a read.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:28 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Perhaps we could actually discuss the book... It has to be close to being David's best. I'm busy studying it after first read. There are all sorts of potential threads to work through. It's not quite as easy as getting the material a snippet at a time, but still... No reason for boredom yet. Now it becomes work.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by dobriennm   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:35 pm

dobriennm
Commander

Sigh

Larry

Another suggestion would be the Ring of Fire series by Eric Flint and others. It's basically a modern US town dropped back into the middle of Europe during the Thirty Years War.

I started it a few years ago and stopped after the first few books. Not sure why. Has an interesting mix of history and developing advanced technology in a more primitive(?) era. I looked at it recently and the major problem with it is that it has expanded so far and widely it's difficult to follow the main thread. Luckily, Eric Flint provided a "road map" to reading the series at Ring of Fire Reading Order.

And I believe all the books are on the Baen web Site.

I might give this series a try before the next Safehold series kicks off.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:29 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

dobriennm wrote:Another suggestion would be the Ring of Fire series by Eric Flint and others. It's basically a modern US town dropped back into the middle of Europe during the Thirty Years War.

I started it a few years ago and stopped after the first few books. Not sure why. Has an interesting mix of history and developing advanced technology in a more primitive(?) era. I looked at it recently and the major problem with it is that it has expanded so far and widely it's difficult to follow the main thread.

It's difficult to follow a "main thread" because there really isn't one. Far more of importance happens in the Ring Of Fire and Grantville Gazette anthologies than in the Novels by various authors. There were about 3,000 Americans in Grantville when it got duped in the germanies ca late 1631. That means there's about 3,000 possible "Main Threads."

For a reading project to fill the gap until RFC finishes another book, The online version of the Grantville Gazette anthology is up to about 60 volumes now and about half of the novels are still available in the Bean Free Library files at http://thefifthimperium.com/ You need to download the entire library .ZIP file or the CD-Rom image file but the indexes are visible online.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Safehold