Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

First impression to ATST - NO Spoiler included

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: First impression to ATST - NO Spoiler included
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:47 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Keith_w wrote:I got an email today that mine is on the way and so it should be here on the 3rd

Mine arrived on Wednesday - Wow! I encourage everyone to read this amzaing story :lol:
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by cnrd22   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:44 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

concur with previous posters, excellent ending to the first Safehold series; eagerly awaiting the 20 years after books

(also many thanks to people mentioning which BN had a copy in advance of Tuesday as there was one near me on the list - but not the closest one I usually go to so without the list i would probably have gone for nothing at my store every day until Tuesday - so I got the book on Friday)
Post by Doomwhale   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:53 pm

Doomwhale
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Just finished AtSoT and I can say it's cathartic. Great pacing and I just loved the ending.
Post by lyonheart   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:26 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi guys,

Amen to all the great comments.

yup. just wow.

The ending was superb, delicious, excellent, brilliant etc, etc.

Again thanks very much RFC!

L
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by justtony   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:57 pm

justtony
Midshipman

Got my hardback copy on Monday. Sat down and read it straight through. Awesome story but the ending felt a little rushed, I would describe it as "too much telling and not enough showing." But it definitely left me salivating for the next series.

However, I have to wonder if Tor even has a copy editor on staff. On average, I spotted at least one typo of some type or another in each chapter. Minor misspellings of common words, e.g. "fightingt", missing words in sentences and one example of characters' names being mixed up. Nothing horrible, but a minor distraction. And the only niggling little complaint I have.

RFC, hurry up and write the next one. Pretty please.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:46 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

justtony wrote:Got my hardback copy on Monday. Sat down and read it straight through. Awesome story but the ending felt a little rushed, I would describe it as "too much telling and not enough showing." But it definitely left me salivating for the next series.

However, I have to wonder if Tor even has a copy editor on staff. On average, I spotted at least one typo of some type or another in each chapter. Minor misspellings of common words, e.g. "fightingt", missing words in sentences and one example of characters' names being mixed up. Nothing horrible, but a minor distraction. And the only niggling little complaint I have.

RFC, hurry up and write the next one. Pretty please.

Yes, I noticed a lot of typos in my Kindle copy as well - I presumed it was because they had decided to try and get the book out on time even though it was delivered late.

On the whole, I'd rather have the book now, with typos, than a beautifully copy-edited book sometime in 2017. Even if Zhamsyn Trynair does appear to have changed his name to Zhasyn ...
Post by Eukaryous   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:14 pm

Eukaryous
Midshipman

This book was awesome, definitely one of the best paced books in the series in my opinion. I think it ranks up there with Off Armageddon Reef in terms of action.

Keep up the great work RFC!
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Question for all you ATST lovers:

If it is worth so much praise,
then isn't it worth spelling the title out in full,
at least once on each page?

Aging Map-addict
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:32 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Howard,

Always good to see your posts.

You're absolutely right!

So to show proper respect for this new opus, I will say again how much I enjoyed 'At the Sign of Triumph'; ie very very much.

Looking forward to more of your insights as always.

L

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:Question for all you ATST lovers:

If it is worth so much praise,
then isn't it worth spelling the title out in full,
at least once on each page?

Aging Map-addict
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Larry   » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Larry
Lieutenant Commander

I have one or two non-spoilery thoughts.

While I did spot one or two typos, the overall proof reading especially given the speed with which the book was completed, and the problems David discussed, seemed solid. Nothing technically distracted from the story line.

Nor was there anything draggy or obviously excessive. Yes there were parts I skimmed, but they were the parts I'd read in the snippets, so it was completely understandable.

Still you have to admit that ending proves that David really does know how to end a series. Those of you who have noticed the Honor books dragging on a bit may have wondered.

My considered opinion was that the personnel bits, battle scenes, political intrigue and background prep were well balanced. Over all we got to see all the characters we've grown to love and some different perspectives.

Even if things did reach something of a sudden crescendo near the end, the pacing seemed very even and the suspense and action built very nicely.

All in all an enjoyable read. Well worth the price of admission.

Larry

Return to Safehold