Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 174 guests

Marine compliments?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Marine compliments?
Post by Rawb   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Rawb
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Running a forum based Honorverse strategy game and we might be getting into planetary combat. I'm curious what the average Marine compliments of ships are in the RMN. I only need it as specific as "battalion for a ship of the wall" and such, and I'm talking around 1900 PD.

Anyone know the figures?
Re: Marine compliments?
Post by kzt   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:22 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I think that is in the first Jaynes book. But I'm on the road and can't check.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:07 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:I think that is in the first Jaynes book. But I'm on the road and can't check.

It's in there. Checking mine. Each capitol ship has a full reinforced Battalion of 595 Marines with Asssult company and command. That is on RMN BCs and up. The Broadsword CAs, the speciality Marine cruiser, holds a reinforced Battalion of 638 men including a 2nd assault company.

A normal shipborne reinforced Battalion is 3 rifle companies, 1 Heavy weapons company, 1 assault company, plus Command company. Line rifle battalions usually do not have attached assault companies.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by John Prigent   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:52 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Am I allowed to point out that marine compliments are exchanged between ships or between a ship and the shore? By dipping the ensign in salute when under way, and by firing set numbers of blank shots in salute to various people and/or their offices. Such things as the 21-gun Royal Salute come under this heading.

Cheers, John
Post by saber964   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:20 pm

saber964
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
kzt wrote:I think that is in the first Jaynes book. But I'm on the road and can't check.

It's in there. Checking mine. Each capitol ship has a full reinforced Battalion of 595 Marines with Asssult company and command. That is on RMN BCs and up. The Broadsword CAs, the speciality Marine cruiser, holds a reinforced Battalion of 638 men including a 2nd assault company.

A normal shipborne reinforced Battalion is 3 rifle companies, 1 Heavy weapons company, 1 assault company, plus Command company. Line rifle battalions usually do not have attached assault companies.

Yes and no on the marine detachment size. In 1900 PD marine detachment were.

Destroyer 1 platoon made up of 3 regular squads and 1 BA squad
Light Cruiser 1 company made up of 3 or 4 platoons s/a
Heavy Cruiser 1 battalion made up of 3 companies made up of 4 platoons with 1 platoon made up of BA.
Battle Cruiser 1 battalion made up of 4 companies s/a
Dreadnaught and Super Dreadnaught 1 battalion made up of 3 companies plus a BA company.
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:15 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

John Prigent wrote:Am I allowed to point out that marine compliments are exchanged between ships or between a ship and the shore? By dipping the ensign in salute when under way, and by firing set numbers of blank shots in salute to various people and/or their offices. Such things as the 21-gun Royal Salute come under this heading.

Cheers, John

Don't forget "The Compliments of the Season" as we refer to it on this side of the pond. :lol:
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Theemile   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
Theemile wrote:

Yes and no on the marine detachment size. In 1900 PD marine detachment were.

Destroyer 1 platoon made up of 3 regular squads and 1 BA squad
Light Cruiser 1 company made up of 3 or 4 platoons s/a
Heavy Cruiser 1 battalion made up of 3 companies made up of 4 platoons with 1 platoon made up of BA.
Battle Cruiser 1 battalion made up of 4 companies s/a
Dreadnaught and Super Dreadnaught 1 battalion made up of 3 companies plus a BA company.

By "shipborne" I meant capital shipborn. 3 rifles, 1 hw and 1 assault + command is out of the Jayne's RMN.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Louis R   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:42 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

You are.

My immediate response was that Marines pay compliments just like the Navy would. Himself probably assumes American style, but I don't think it's been described.

John Prigent wrote:Am I allowed to point out that marine compliments are exchanged between ships or between a ship and the shore? By dipping the ensign in salute when under way, and by firing set numbers of blank shots in salute to various people and/or their offices. Such things as the 21-gun Royal Salute come under this heading.

Cheers, John
Post by Dathi   » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:59 am

Dathi
Ensign

Marine compliments:

Wow, what muscles!

Good throw!

I hear you're the best shot in the platoon.

Return to Honorverse