Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 35 guests

Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...
Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:Probably the only thing that could get everyone in the same place at the same time would be impeachment proceedings against Elizabeth, and you can absolutely guarantee that Honor would also be there for that, so she wouldn't be around to take over either.

Interesting George.

I didn't think a Monarch could be impeached. She is above the law isn't she?

Plus, the Queen herself has to sign-off on a law. She certainly wouldn't sign-off on her own political death sentence.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:38 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:This scenario never posited that everyone with a better claim than Honor was killed. Even I think that is impossible. It is just that the human element left Honor as the only conceivable person left that can tame this monster. IMO.

Honor as the "only person left that can contain this monster:"

Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:This scenario never posited that everyone with a better claim than Honor was killed. Even I think that is impossible. It is just that the human element left Honor as the only conceivable person left that can tame this monster. IMO.

Honor as the "only person left that can contain this monster:"

I stand by that too. Not the only person left who may be given the reins, but the only person left standing who can effectively steer this "chicken with its head cut off" once in charge. I think everyone else would yield to her. They would renounce their claim on the throne.

That was discussed by both Annachie and I.

If someone is placed on the throne under such conditions, they would have to be a very strong person indeed — politically, mentally, emotionally and physically as well. The planet would be in such turmoil, and anarchy would hang low over the Empire like a thick, rich cloud.

Haven wanted to place a weak Monarch on the throne by assassinating her father. How many "heirs" that far removed would realistically be able to wield the reigns of such a political beast out of control?

A hidden entity just removed the spanners, sprockets and cogs of the governments' machinery and the threat of attack would certainly loom large. This is absolutely no time for some politically "wet behind the ears" personage to succeed the throne.

Therefore, I assumed it quite possibly would be Honor by desperation than by design.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

In such a calamitous usurping of powers, it will come down to "Who can hold the reins to wield the reign to stop the rains?"

Naysay Honor? Ye say yea? Me say "Off with his head!"

Last edited by cthia on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by munroburton   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:07 am

munroburton
Admiral

Honestly, I think the MAlign is more likely to resort to an EE violation simply to kill Honor, rather than Elizabeth. It's widely known that Elizabeth's temper can be counterproductive and that Honor did more than anyone else to bring Elizabeth around to seeking peace with Haven.

By now it's clear that Honor is the moderating influence. It may be too late for its removal to affect the GA's course, mind, now that Eloise and Eliabeth have met each other personally.

Also, if they've gone to the trouble of exterminating an entire royal succession, I'd think they would have recruited one of the distant descendants to their cause along the way. One of the benefits of using a line of succession as a kill-list is getting to choose the eventual successor.

No MAligner in their right mind would want to make sure that was Honor. Find the pettiest, most crude drunkard embodying the Seven Sins and make sure he isn't invited to the party - which is likely if he's the polar opposite of aristocratic paragon.
Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:28 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:Honestly, I think the MAlign is more likely to resort to an EE violation simply to kill Honor, rather than Elizabeth. It's widely known that Elizabeth's temper can be counterproductive and that Honor did more than anyone else to bring Elizabeth around to seeking peace with Haven.

By now it's clear that Honor is the moderating influence. It may be too late for its removal to affect the GA's course, mind, now that Eloise and Eliabeth have met each other personally.

Also, if they've gone to the trouble of exterminating an entire royal succession, I'd think they would have recruited one of the distant descendants to their cause along the way. One of the benefits of using a line of succession as a kill-list is getting to choose the eventual successor.

No MAligner in their right mind would want to make sure that was Honor. Find the pettiest, most crude drunkard embodying the Seven Sins and make sure he isn't invited to the party - which is likely if he's the polar opposite of aristocratic paragon.

"The polar opposite of aristocratic paragon?" Brilliant! That's something Anisimovna would look for. :lol:

You are most likely right about the specificity of such a plan. Your notion of recruiting one of the Crown's own makes you the winner of such Machiavellian plans.

I shudder to entertain the notion of a fairly recent Mesan sleeper agent being in line for succession.

Lest we not forget though, Honor was supposed to be there too. Tester and Benjamin were at her side as she was delayed from Grayson. She and Benjamin just barely missed the fun by the saving grace of Tester's gun. Can you imagine the upheaval on Grayson if Benjamin's reign had been preempted as well?

Even the staunchest diehards against something like this happening, would have to admit that if such a gobsmacking assemblage of personage reached the opportunistic Machiavellian minds of the MAlign would quickly set them into motion faster than a flock of spooked birds.

Last edited by cthia on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Remember everyone, Honor was en route to this party as well — was the juicy word on the grapevine when it reached Malignant minds. They thought they would get her as well. Wholesale.

It is just like my niece teased me this past weekend after the storm when my sister had made me one of her delicious peach cobblers and had planned to send it by relative coming my way...
The best laid plans of mice and men often gets eaten by the rat.

Why, I oughta!

Seriously, it wasn't a 100 % successful plan. They intended on getting Honor as well and hoped to get Benjy too. But they didn't. Plus, their plain old rotten luck (depending on if you're the fruit or the worm) of getting so many more was NOT a part of their plan. That was the meddling of Murphy assisted by the shockingly helpful hand of Anisimovna. That part of the plan went awry. Albeit a wonderfully rare event of something going wrong also going right. But it didn't stop them from clinking a toast and dancing a jig. You betcha!

Last edited by cthia on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:12 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

After all, this was a Malignant coup.
Killing all the chickens and eggs in the coop.

Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
munroburton wrote:Honestly, I think the MAlign is more likely to resort to an EE violation simply to kill Honor, rather than Elizabeth. It's widely known that Elizabeth's temper can be counterproductive and that Honor did more than anyone else to bring Elizabeth around to seeking peace with Haven.

"The polar opposite of aristocratic paragon?" Brilliant! That's something Anisimovna would look for. :lol:

You are most likely right about the specificity of such a plan. Your notion of recruiting one of the Crown's own makes you the winner of such Machiavellian plans.

I shudder to entertain the notion of a fairly recent Mesan sleeper agent being in line for succession.

Lest we not forget though, Honor was supposed to be there too. Tester and Benjamin were at her side as she was delayed from Grayson. She and Benjamin just barely missed the fun by the saving grace of Tester's gun. Can you imagine the upheaval on Grayson if Benjamin's reign had been preempted as well?

Even the staunchest diehards against something like this happening, would have to admit that if such a gobsmacking assemblage of personage reached the opportunistic Machiavellian minds of the MAlign would quickly set them into motion faster than a flock of spooked birds.

Oh nigh, not just the upheaval on Manticore but the upheaval on Grayson as well, but perhaps more importantly, the upheaval that both precipitous events shall reverberate thru the Grand Alliance. The RMN is the rock of the alliance. Grayson is an appendage thereof. Its government is now in turmoil as well. Someone has attacked from within, without.

Well, all in all folks, the RMN has to count its blessings. It could have been a lot worse. And it could get a lot worse before it gets better.

That is why logic supports a strong firm hand as that of Honor's and the Salamander's and the Admiral's and the Steadholder's...

Boy will she need all of those hats now, as if life was preparing her for... life. Bloody unfair that she won't have an extra body for each of those distinct people occupying her body now.

All of the Evel Knieval bumps in the road she's jumped thus far in her career was simply preparing her for an insane jump far more impossible than some very huge gorge. This time Sally has to jump over a moon. A Mesan moon.

Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:58 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:Honor as the "only person left that can contain this monster:"

I stand by that too. Not the only person left who may be given the reins, but the only person left standing who can effectively steer this "chicken with its head cut off" once in charge. I think everyone else would yield to her. They would renounce their claim on the throne.

I think you're avoiding Gahan Wilson's point that the sole survivor -- Royal or otherwise -- is the only winner. In your scenario Honor would rule over a Kingdom of one.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse