Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Please, we're talking about the MAlign.
It will be targeted nanotec.

Whatever, it beats threads on how to use the Grav Lance.

By now, surely the other grand duchies are held by members of the winton family, probably the Lords as well, and it's been stated that Honor takes precedence over everybody else.

If Honor did take over and become Queen it would be because she personally and visibly kept the government running.

The firm hand at the wheel becomming the defacto ruling hand as it were.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I've been meandering down that same Alice in Wonderland as well. Just as we've failed to apply the tactical implications of an EEV targeting key figures, have we also failed to consider a less destructive application of the nanotech?

I wonder if nanite compulsion can be utilized to accomplish something totally benign, inocuous, nondestructive. Sort of a, "Why did I just sign that document?" Sort of thing.

The character profile or Assassination of one Aldona Anisimovna is beginning to scare me too.

I also think I'm beginning to fall in love.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I only imagined that Honor would be the obvious choice in this situation because she would still be alive and because she is legally in line. A catastrophic AND UNPRECEDENTED event has capsized the government and its machinery. There would be anarchy as Duckk so eloquently put it. If ever there were an emergency would be now. And the safety and confidence of the subjects in the street screaming "Game Over Man! Game Over!" would take precedent over a need to follow tradition. They would need a strong Queen (or whatever title she'd bear) or place someone in power who can grab and hold on to the reigns of that bucking beast. Honor would serve as a rallying cry. She'd provide the comfort to everyone. Her shoulders would sag.

I only imagine that Honor survived the strike because well, Honor, and because Kirk survived his.

"You Klingon b*stard, you keep missing your mark! Still... didn't... kill me!"

But really, I think it would be an interesting Honorverse that would seat Honor as Queen. A solution that would also get her off the playing field without killing her.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:59 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:...she would still be alive and because she is legally in line. ...

That is the point that doesn't seem to be getting through to you -- Honor is NOT in the Line of Succession because she isn't related to the Wintons in any way we know of.

Elizabeth just made her a Duchess, she didn't adopt her.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:34 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:...she would still be alive and because she is legally in line. ...

That is the point that doesn't seem to be getting through to you -- Honor is NOT in the Line of Succession because she isn't related to the Wintons in any way we know of.

Elizabeth just made her a Duchess, she didn't adopt her.

Yes, but the thing I cannot seem to get though is that she automatically becomes legal because she is a Duchess, and still alive, not because she was actually born in line. The fact that there isn't any Winton blood left puts her on a very desperate list.

She is in line by circumstance, not by birth.

I wanted to make this thing interesting. And I said to myself, 'Self, if the MAlign were thinking along the lines of capsizing the government and leaving the infrastructure in place, they'd certainly turn to Anisimovna to do it. And Anisimovna doesn't think small. *Self, what if she handed them an all encompassing and clean decapitation?'

I wanted to make this truly interesting, not just a business as usual affair of finding Winton blood.

CSAPPS makes this sort of strike possible. The only real problem facing Aldona was of herding the sheep all into one pen. A difficult tactical problem (at best) if she ever saw one. A real challenge, an entertaining and worthy dilemma for her for a change.

*A full decapitation not so much by design, but by happenstance — prodded along by the shockingly helping hand of Anisimovna.

"It was like pushing baby sheep into the projected CSAPPS envelope."

Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:49 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Yes, but the thing I cannot seem to get though is that she automatically becomes legal because she is a Duchess, and still alive, not because she was actually born in line. The fact that there isn't any Winton blood left puts her on a very desperate list.

But you have to kill off so many others for even her social rank to take precedence over the descendants of any original colonists. Being a Duchess does NOT put her ahead of the original colonists' descendents, even if you manage the highly improbable task of eliminating the Wintons "root and branch."

Honor can rule Manticore as a Regent, but NOT as Queen -- ever.

Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Yes, but the thing I cannot seem to get though is that she automatically becomes legal because she is a Duchess, and still alive, not because she was actually born in line. The fact that there isn't any Winton blood left puts her on a very desperate list.

But you have to kill off so many others for even her social rank to take precedence over the descendants of any original colonists. Being a Duchess does NOT put her ahead of the original colonists' descendents, even if you manage the highly improbable task of eliminating the Wintons "root and branch."

Honor can rule Manticore as a Regent, but NOT as Queen -- ever.

I understand that. Even Anisimovna isn't that good. I'm certain many can be found that traditionally would be a better fit than Honor.

However, the situation that the Manticorans now find themselves in, places them in somewhat of an impasse and time is of the essence.

I never thought that Honor would be a shoe-in, or that she would actually assume the throne as Queen. That's why my original question asked if she would become Queen.

Simply because I considered the human element in my thoughts. That Manticore would want to continue as an Empire, and a Queen must be found. No? And if a Queen must be found who is better to assume the seat?

I certainly think probability would be high that she'd be placed in charge because she would be the only one who could handle this thing. Be it as Queen or by Regent, it would be a time consuming post. Whoever would rule would rule for a long time to come, no?

"Let's just make her Queen," because the seat is empty were my thoughts, whether in error or no. Whether she becomes Queen by title or Queen by task was amongst my initial thoughts.

Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:24 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Email from my niece, who is turning coat... LOL

"Is it possible that a Winton contingency plan to ensure succession under all circumstances includes the freezing of Winton blood?"

Doh!

You turn coat! Why, I oughta...

Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:34 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Email from my niece, who is turning coat... LOL

"Is it possible that a Winton contingency plan to ensure succession under all circumstances includes the freezing of Winton blood?"

Doh!

You turn coat! Why, I oughta...

That would be easier to dispose of or adulterate than killing off the Dynasty "Root and Branch"

Plus the Beowulf Code prohibits the cloning or posthumous conception for the purposes of inheritance -- as detailed in discussions on the succession of Harrington Stedding when Honor was presumed dead.

Post by Annachie   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:38 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

As I said, it would be because she held the place together.

Kind of like regent into Queen by aclaim.

Damn, the subtle uses of that MAlign control tec can be nasty.

Get a mole in to the office somewhere, inplant the target with a "automatically sign when you smell this on something with that colour on it" or similar.
(Ok stretching, but you get the idea)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Annachie   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:40 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Cthia, have you ever introduced your neice to The Prince by Machiavelli?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Honorverse