Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

(STICKY) ATST Spoiler/Snippet Index [2016-09-18]

This is the place where we will be posting snippets of soon-to-be published works!
Re: (STICKY) ATST Spoiler/Snippet Index [2016-09-05]
Post by BobG   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:52 am

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

I wrote:
"SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate."

ChrisD replied:
Only after J.S. Bach

saber964 replied:
Your a bit sick in the head.

FYI in a survey conducted in 2005. 97.5% of Americans meet the clinical definition of addiction to chocolate. But there is no group or organization to help you recover from the addiction.

I can quit at any time :D

-- Bob G
Last edited by BobG on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by chrisd   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:20 am

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

BobG wrote:I wrote:

saber964 replied:
saber964 wrote:Only after J.S. Bach

Chrisd replied:

FYI in a survey conducted in 2005. 97.5% of Americans meet the clinical definition of addiction to chocolate. But there is no group or organization to help you recover from the addiction.

-- Bob G

Bob, I think you have my comment attributed to sabre964 and vice-versa.
Post by chrisd   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:46 am

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

The worst thing about the potential release date is that SWMBO & I will be out of the country, for the whole month and TOR do not supply their books directly to Thailand when first published, nor do Amazon etc. deliver to a Pattaya address so I will have to wait until 12th December for my copy.

I know I can get an e-book for my Kindle but that means paying twice! which as a "time-served, card-carrying" Yorkshireman is extremely mentally painful.
(Standard definition of a Yorkshireman :- "A Scotsman with the last ounce of generosity beaten out of him" - we give the stereotypical Jews a run for their money as well)

(Having read the e-ARC of SOV I don't think I will be bothering with the Dead Tree version. Sorry RFC but it's "just a potboiler")
Last edited by chrisd on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:34 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

many said when they bought HFQ in dead tree they got e-mail offering kindle version for about £3 or maybe $3, so not a huge extra fee, though i do understand your disinclination to pay for it twice.
Post by chrisd   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:16 am

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dauntless wrote:many said when they bought HFQ in dead tree they got e-mail offering kindle version for about £3 or maybe $3, so not a huge extra fee, though i do understand your disinclination to pay for it twice.

That seemed to be for USA purchases; I was certainly not made that offer in the UK. Believe me, I tried.
Post by Bookaholic   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:13 pm

Bookaholic
Ensign

Dauntless wrote:many said when they bought HFQ in dead tree they got e-mail offering kindle version for about £3 or maybe $3, so not a huge extra fee, though i do understand your disinclination to pay for it twice.

Yep, in the US Amazon offers the e-book for $2.99 when you purchase the Dead Tree version. Too bad Baen doesn't participate in the program, but I'm thrilled that TOR does.
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:31 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

chrisd wrote:

That seemed to be for USA purchases; I was certainly not made that offer in the UK. Believe me, I tried.

that's annoying.

oh well I don't have the room on my shelves for dead tree versions of RFC works, so I go straight to kindle anyway.

I admit reading off a screen is not as much of an experience as dead tree, but these are the sacrifices one makes when one already has too many dead tree books and can not bring oneself to part with any of them.
Post by RogueWarrior   » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:19 am

RogueWarrior
Ensign

BobG wrote:I wrote:

ChrisD replied:
Only after J.S. Bach

saber964 replied:

-- Bob G

I dare you to try to eliminate sugar from your diet.
Refined white sugar is more addictive than opiates.
Post by BobG   » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:31 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

I wrote:
ChrisD replied:
Only after J.S. Bach
saber964 replied:

I replied
RogueWarrior replied:
I dare you to try to eliminate sugar from your diet.
Refined white sugar is more addictive than opiates.

At least you don't have withdrawal symptoms when you stop eating sugar. I honestly don't know if sugar is as addictive as you indicate - I suspect that it isn't literally as addictive, but it is hard to avoid in prepared foods.

BTW, did you see the recent news about how the sugar companies back in the 1960s paid off Harvard researchers to blame fat and not sugar for cardiovascular disease? Although I suspect that "high fructose corn syrup" is even worse for you than sucrose.

I hope I'm not straying into politics.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by McGuiness   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:27 am

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

Dauntless wrote:oh well I don't have the room on my shelves for dead tree versions of RFC works, so I go straight to kindle anyway.

I admit reading off a screen is not as much of an experience as dead tree, but these are the sacrifices one makes when one already has too many dead tree books and can not bring oneself to part with any of them.
My hard drive crashed last week, and took my entire library of ebooks with it. Fortunately I had it backed up, but it made me realize just how easy it is to lose an entire collection of ebooks!

You've pretty much got to have the house burn down to lose your books in dead tree format, but hard drives crash and burn all the time! :(

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.

Return to Snippets