Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 23 guests

An out of order snippet: Significant spoiler

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
An out of order snippet: Significant spoiler
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:14 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Y
o
u
r

m
o
t
h
e
r

w
a
r
n
e
d

y
o
u

a
b
o
u
t

w
i
c
k
e
d

p
e
o
p
l
e

w
h
o

o
f
f
e
r

s
n
i
p
p
e
t
s

f
o
r

f
r
e
e
!

:twisted:

“Now, I realize the Army invested quite a few marks in emplacing modern artillery to protect your waterfront. I also realize that one of the very first things you did as your part in your treasonous conspiracy was to place the Army gun crews under arrest and replace them with men loyal to you. So, I suppose it’s possible you’ll be foolish enough to attempt to prevent Captain Zohannsyn from carrying out his orders. If you do, I’m afraid things will get very . . . messy and there probably won’t be a great deal left of Maryksberg when the smoke clears.”

Her calm tone never wavered, but those unearthly blue eyes — eyes exactly like the ones Black Horse had seen looking out of Merlin Athrawes’ face — were hard and cold.

“I’m a simple woman at heart, Your Grace,” she told him, “and I really don’t like messy solutions to problems. So I thought I’d just come ahead of Captain Zohannsyn and take this opportunity to avoid one here. You see, my instructions from Her Majesty are to take you into custody for treason, and I’m sure she’d prefer for me to arrest you unharmed. But she didn’t specifically say that, and I’m equally sure she’ll forgive me if that turns out to be impossible. So it occurred to me that one way to prevent you from ordering the batteries to open fire and getting quite a lot of your own subjects killed would be to remove your head before you do.”

Steel whispered, and Black Horse swallowed convulsively as the curved blade gleamed under his study’s lamps. The katana was rocksteady in her slim hand, and she raised one eyebrow.

“Are you going to make it necessary for me to disappoint Her Majesty, Your Grace?”

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: An out of order snippet: Significant spoiler
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:24 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Ah! Delicious! Can't wait to see how it fit sequentially.

Glad that you still have that wicked sense of humor! Thank you, your Celeryness!
Post by tootall   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:45 am

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

“I’m a simple woman at heart, Your Grace,”
yeah-right.

The katana was rocksteady in her slim hand, and she raised one eyebrow.

When she first wakes up she acknowledges that Merlin's eyebrow has been places that she hasn't been---(yet.)

She's apparently getting there.

What a fun sentence!!
Post by XofDallas   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:47 am

XofDallas
Commander

Oh yeahhhhhh!!!

I am liking Nimue more and more as more of her personality is revealed. First Sheltyn, now this!

I'm kinda hoping she has to use that katana on him.
Post by tootall   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:18 am

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

"XofDallas"]wrote

I am liking Nimue more and more as more of her personality is revealed. First Sheltyn, now this!

There's always hope that Sheltyn left Corsande and took employment with Black Horse. :shock:
Post by Peter2   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:46 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. And I honestly cannot decide which of Black Horse's possible decisions would give me greater pleasure. :? :?
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:00 am

Keith_w
Commodore

My mother would be (were she still with us) quite happy to share with you the number of times I did NOT listen to her warnings.

Thank you RFC.

Do take care of yourself please, if not for your family, nor your friends here, but so that we can hear the end of your stories.

Also, I have osteo-arthritis and find that Voltaren is quite helpful for the pain in my knees, hips and sholder. Your mileage may, of course, vary.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:03 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Wonderful snippet...

And whatever else might be going on, I'm happy to see that David's sense of humor is still intact... ;)

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by ksandgren   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:30 am

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks, rfc. Great snippet.
Post by bigrunt   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:45 am

bigrunt
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote: “Are you going to make it necessary for me to disappoint Her Majesty, Your Grace?”

I keep thinking about the line were Cayleb and Sharleyan were talking about Nahrmahn "We are never going to stop that mind from thinking unless we cut it off from it's body and that is so messy!"

Although I am sure that Sharleyan would not mind Black Horse becoming a foot shorter.

Return to Safehold