Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests

Yet another out of order snippet

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Yet another out of order snippet
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:28 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Okay, I don't know if you've figured it out, but I'm busy proofreading the typeset galleys for ATST, which mneans TOR will make its release date! :D :D

And as I work my way through it, I'm hitting a few scenes (like the one with Owl) I thought I'd share out of order.

Not going to tell you when this one happens, but I will says it's another little love letter from Helm Cleaver to Zhaspahr which may cast a little light on an earlier out of order snippet.

And on its consequences.

Oh, and this one goes up on walls in Zion itself. :twisted:

To the Grand Fornicator:

Greetings! We thank you for summoning Bishop Wylbyr home so that we might send him along with Bishop Zakryah, Father Mairydyth, Brother Zherohm, Father Charlz, Sister Tyldah, and Brother Hahnz to render a long overdue accounting for their actions before God and the Archangels. We doubt they took pleasure at the final rendering of their accounts, yet their debts were only a tiny fragment of yours.

The Inquisition has much for which to atone before the Throne of Langhorne. Most grievously of all, it must answer for its willingness to serve the human-shaped corruption which profanes the office of Grand Inquisitor. Mother Church’s rod of correction was never created to become the personal whore of an arrogant, egotistical fornicator who sets his personal, unholy ambition above the will of God Himself. You have seen fit to torture, starve, and murder countless children of God in the name of that ambition, turned the Holy Inquisition into your accomplice in the service of that arrogance, and, in the process, become the greatest butcher since the War Against the Fallen itself.

The Fist of God has sworn to stop you, and we will neither halt, nor rest, nor pause until you pay the last, full measure of your debt to God and the Archangels whose true will you defile and pervert with every breath you draw.

You have chosen to torture and kill those dear to us — our sisters Zhorzhet and Marzho. They are only two more deaths among the millions whose blood stains your hands, and their souls are already with God. But unlike those other, nameless dead, Zhorzhet and Marzho have champions. They have avengers. We will not defile ourselves before God by lending ourselves to torture out of hate and love of cruelty, as you do, but we will balance the scale of justice as Schueller and Langhorne require, and so we begin by taking from you Wylbyr Edwyrds and the others struck down this day. We take them in recompense not only for our sisters, but for the millions of innocents Edwyrds has murdered in the Republic of Siddarmark and in the Border States in your service. In your service — never God’s!

We begin with these names, but we will not end here. In the fullness of time, we will come for you, as well, murderer of innocence. And know this: there is no threat you can levy, no bribe you can offer, no plea you can utter which will turn us from our purpose . . . and there is no place you can hide from us. Whatever lies you may tell, you know, as we do — as the inquisitors of St. Thyrmyn Prison learned — whose side God is truly on, and the day will come when He delivers you into our hand, as well.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: Yet another out of order snippet
Post by ksandgren   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:43 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thank you, rfc! This does tell us a lot about the other out of order snippets.
Post by Alistair   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:50 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

ksandgren wrote:Thank you, rfc! This does tell us a lot about the other out of order snippets.

Wow!!!
Post by thanatos   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:54 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:
To the Grand Fornicator:

You have chosen to torture and kill those dear to us — our sisters Zhorzhet and Marzho. They are only two more deaths among the millions whose blood stains your hands, and their souls are already with God. But unlike those other, nameless dead, Zhorzhet and Marzho have champions. They have avengers. We will not defile ourselves before God by lending ourselves to torture out of hate and love of cruelty, as you do, but we will balance the scale of justice as Schueller and Langhorne require, and so we begin by taking from you Wylbyr Edwyrds and the others struck down this day. We take them in recompense not only for our sisters, but for the millions of innocents Edwyrds has murdered in the Republic of Siddarmark and in the Border States in your service. In your service — never God’s!

We begin with these names, but we will not end here. In the fullness of time, we will come for you, as well, murderer of innocence. And know this: there is no threat you can levy, no bribe you can offer, no plea you can utter which will turn us from our purpose . . . and there is no place you can hide from us. Whatever lies you may tell, you know, as we do — as the inquisitors of St. Thyrmyn Prison learned — whose side God is truly on, and the day will come when He delivers you into our hand, as well.

I'm starting to think that they attacked the prison from underground or from the air using some sort chemical warhead (similar to the ones used to take out the Church's ship at the end of HFQ). Either that, or some sort of nanotech based bioweapon was loosed in the prison, one whose effects were not initially lethal but which put everyone to sleep. Then Helm Cleaver's agents came in and freed all the prisoners that were still alive, took whatever files they could carry out and then killed all the guards and inquisitors.

The only thing we do know for certain at the moment is that whatever was done, was something Rayno could find no evidence of in any Church source. That means it has to be something the Fallen either didn't have or could not use due to the command crew's aerial surveillance capabilities. The Church, however, lacks those capabilities and so they could deliver such a weapon using low tech means. It's wouldn't be enough to damage the temple, but it would be enough to destroy any structure that was not built with TF tech.
Post by Alistair   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:57 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

I wonder what impact this will have on Rayno?!

Or on other Inquisitors who read it can't be good that's for sure the avalanche is building steam.

Alistair
Post by 6L6   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:07 pm

6L6
Commander

love those teasers, thanks RFC
Post by Thrandir   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:21 pm

Thrandir
Commander

thanks RFC I swear deep down you have nice heart not the teasing one we are seeing :lol:
I really think you love seeing how and where people take the snippets and then have a huge belly laugh at how wrong they are in their 'guesses'.

Keep doing it as I love reading the book and then comparing it to the wilder predictions :D
(Don't think this says much about my SOH either :) )
Post by ssl4000g   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:27 pm

ssl4000g
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Hi All,

Been reading here for a while to get up to speed. Been through this series 4 times I think. Just finished a series re-read in prep for the new book and have been taking in all these nice juicy snips and oos's.

Finally, the good guys are getting something into Zion. I am very interested in finding out why that is now possible among other things. Good stuff!

W

runsforcelery wrote:Oh, and this one goes up on walls in Zion itself. :twisted:

To the Grand Fornicator:

Greetings! We thank you for summoning Bishop Wylbyr home so that we might send him along with Bishop Zakryah, Father Mairydyth, Brother Zherohm, Father Charlz, Sister Tyldah, and Brother Hahnz to render a long overdue accounting for their actions before God and the Archangels. We doubt they took pleasure at the final rendering of their accounts, yet their debts were only a tiny fragment of yours.

The Inquisition has much for which to atone before the Throne of Langhorne. Most grievously of all, it must answer for its willingness to serve the human-shaped corruption which profanes the office of Grand Inquisitor. Mother Church’s rod of correction was never created to become the personal whore of an arrogant, egotistical fornicator who sets his personal, unholy ambition above the will of God Himself. You have seen fit to torture, starve, and murder countless children of God in the name of that ambition, turned the Holy Inquisition into your accomplice in the service of that arrogance, and, in the process, become the greatest butcher since the War Against the Fallen itself.

The Fist of God has sworn to stop you, and we will neither halt, nor rest, nor pause until you pay the last, full measure of your debt to God and the Archangels whose true will you defile and pervert with every breath you draw.

Post by ncwolf   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:41 pm

ncwolf
Commander

runsforcelery wrote:Okay, I don't know if you've figured it out, but I'm busy proofreading the typeset galleys for ATST, which mneans TOR will make its release date!

What, no InCopy? :)

(We have it where I work, but I haven't tried that feature yet myself.)

And I think Helm Cleaver's message will make their livers quiver!
Post by Frankjg   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:57 pm

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

OH MY OH MY.

Whatever they did is going to be good for us to read. Can not wait to see what it is and has us s*****g in our pants over it. It must be a whopper of an event that MWW has came up with. :o :o

Return to Safehold