Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

An out of order snippet about corrupting OWL

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
An out of order snippet about corrupting OWL
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:27 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

“Now there, Owl, I’m afraid you may have a point,” Nahrmahn admitted. “Of course, I may be just a bit prejudiced, since I was never so foolish as to decide to die for a principal.”

“My analysis suggests that that was simply because you never had to choose whether or not to do so,” Owl corrected gently. “Although, I will concede that when you did choose to die, it was for something rather more important than an empty, self-serving political ‘principle.’”

“There wasn’t a great deal of ‘choosing’ to it, really. It was more a matter of automatic reaction.”

“And, looking back, would you have chosen any other way?” Owl challenged with a smile.

“No,” Nahrmahn acknowledged. He rested one electronic hand on the AI’s equally immaterial shoulder and shook him gently. “No, I wouldn’t have. So I suppose you win this one.”

“When it is a matter of logic and analysis, I almost always win,” Owl pointed out. “Unfortunately, dealing with humans, logic and analysis are usually the last resort of scoundrels.”

“A joke!” Nahrmahn laughed delightedly. “I’m corrupting you, Owl! Next thing, you’ll be producing puns!”

“At which point I trust Commander Athrawes will be compassionate enough to order a complete memory purge,” Owl replied.

EDITED to remove the loop effect! :D
Last edited by runsforcelery on Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: An out of order snippet about corrupting OWL
Post by lexisgrandpa   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:36 pm

lexisgrandpa
Ensign

runsforcelery wrote:“Now there, Owl, I’m afraid you may have a point,” Nahrmahn admitted. “Of course, I may be just a bit prejudiced, since I was never so foolish as to decide to die for a principal.”

“My analysis suggests that that was simply because you never had to choose whether or not to do so,” Owl corrected gently. “Although, I will concede that when you did choose to die, it was for something rather more important than an empty, self-serving political ‘principle.’”

“There wasn’t a great deal of ‘choosing’ tbyo it, really. It was more a matter of automatic reaction.”

“And, looking back, would you have chosen any other way?” Owl challenged with a smile.

“No,” Nahrmahn acknowledged. He rested one electronic hand on the AI’s equally immaterial shoulder and shook him gently. “No, I wouldn’t have. So I suppose you win this one.”

“When it is a matter of logic and analysis, I almost always win,” Owl pointed out. “Unfortunately, dealing with humans, logic and analysis are usually the last resort of scoundrels.”

“A joke!” Nahrmahn laughed delightedly. “I’m corrupting you, Owl! Next thing, you’ll be producing puns!”

“At which point I trust Commander Athrawes will be compassionate enough to order a complete memory purge,” Owl replied.

“Now there, Owl, I’m afraid you may have a point,” Nahrmahn admitted. “Of course, I may be just a bit prejudiced, since I was never so foolish as to decide to die for a principal.”

“There wasn’t a great deal of ‘choosing’ to it, really. It was more a matter of automatic reaction.”

Is this supposed to repeat like it does?
Post by emeye   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:37 pm

emeye
Commander

So good it was snippeted twice :)

Thanks, RFC!
Post by ksandgren   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:41 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks, rfc!
Post by Dilandu   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

emeye wrote:So good it was snippeted twice :)

Thanks, RFC!

Was it?

Or the OWL are actually cycling?

Notice, that those two phrases:

- could be considered logically locked...
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:28 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

lexisgrandpa wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:“Now there, Owl, I’m afraid you may have a point,” Nahrmahn admitted. “Of course, I may be just a bit prejudiced, since I was never so foolish as to decide to die for a principal.”

“There wasn’t a great deal of ‘choosing’ tbyo it, really. It was more a matter of automatic reaction.”

Is this supposed to repeat like it does?

Nope. :oops:

So I fixed it! :D

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Joat42   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:36 pm

Joat42
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
lexisgrandpa wrote:Is this supposed to repeat like it does?

Nope. :oops:

So I fixed it! :D

When I read it first I had another connotation of the word corruption in mind which made me think they had a problem with the VR and everything was stuck in a loop. ;)

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by ChronicRder   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:04 pm

ChronicRder
Lieutenant Commander

This was good. Not as good as reading/rereading one of Zhaspahr's Hitler-esq tantrums in the early books. That would make it GREAT!

I really needed a more recent scene like this in this series. Thanks, RFC!
Post by 6L6   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:18 pm

6L6
Commander

Thanks, love those teasers.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:12 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Oh dear a repeat. That means the Matrix changed something doesn't it?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Safehold