Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

A Totally different out of order snippet

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: A Totally different out of order snippet
Post by elaineofshalott   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:50 pm

elaineofshalott
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:
We have no intention of harming you in any way, Your Grace,” she told him. “None. As Merlin said, we’ve only come to enlighten you. You’ve talked a lot about your special relationship with Schueller and the archangels, so we thought you might like to meet them.”

The bold is of course mine but it was how my first instinct was to read it. I can certainly see Merlin standing back and watching if it looked like Clyntahn was going to go down without his intervention. Plus I will add that I have recently been listening to all the audio books again. I felt a bit like the section with Samyl Wylsynn was foreshadowing Clyntahn ultimately committing suicide rather than facing trial for his many crimes.

Not that I'm too wedded to the idea. RFC takes us all by surprise often enough.
Post by DuncanB730   » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:06 pm

DuncanB730
Midshipman

How about a strong hallucinogen and a hologram or two? A little something to mess with Clyntahn's head and scare the bejesus out of him.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:07 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Curiouser and curiouser...Now where have I heard that before?

I'm not even going to try to guess, because any guess I might make would be wrong...

Sure has me looking forward to the book, though!

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by martin   » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:12 am

martin
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Henry Brown wrote:They are not going to harm him? Didn't Merlin once swear that Clyntahn was a dead man if he could ever catch him outside of the temple?

Remember there are missing words and the Seijin can appear however they like (within their height range) it could be 'Schueller' that harms him. Without necessarily being the actual Schueller.
Post by Thrandir   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:57 pm

Thrandir
Commander

RFC that is just damn nasty teasing all of us like this :lol:

Like others I am now drooling for the book - pity there is no way to time travel just so I can obtain the book :lol:
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:50 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Thrandir wrote:RFC that is just damn nasty teasing all of us like this :lol:

Like others I am now drooling for the book - pity there is no way to time travel just so I can obtain the book :lol:

Of course there is time travel. Unfortunately it is one second per second in an entropish direction. :lol:
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by WeberFan   » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:38 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:Okay, I'm gonna toss this out and then snatch my hand back from the shark tank. I will say only that I snipped 11 words out of the text (not saying where), just to hide the serial numbers and, well . . . :twisted:

“Hell, Your Grace?” She laughed, and the sound was cold and cruel. “You don’t know the meaning of the word . . . yet.”

“Stay back!” he snapped.

“We have no intention of harming you in any way, Your Grace,” she told him. “None. As Merlin said, we’ve only come to enlighten you. You’ve talked a lot about your special relationship with Schueller and the archangels, so we thought you might like to meet them.”

OK... So I've been chewing on this for a while.

At the end of HFQ, we have Merlin visiting Thirsk in his study as the cliffhanger. I think that's what we're looking at here - the cliffhanger. Just to keep our appetites whetted for the "grand finale."

As to Clyntahn's visitors? I believe they're Merlin and Nynian. Where Nimue would certainly be motivated to say the things that are being said, I can almost HEAR Nynian saying them... With all the force, sarcasm, and venom of 40+ years of brewing hatred for the Inquisition and the "Grand Fornicator" in her voice. I believe that by this time, the Inquisition has effectively collapsed as any kind of disciplinary entity.

I see them showing Clyntahn the "grand truth" of the Gbaba, Schueler, Langhorne, et al, and the images of all the deaths that have resulted because of their actions. Recall that we've learned from the recent posts that there have been uncountable other deaths (and remember our speculations about that)?? I could easily picture those images being shown to Clyntahn... Thousands upon thousands of dead bodies... Misery... Agonizing misery and privation... The voices crying out for revenge... For justice... Things that HE - Clyntahn, sequestered in his chambers in the Temple - was directly responsible for... Something that will finally pierce even his psyche... Along with the message that the dead are crying out for retribution...

And in the next book, I can easily see Clyntahn falling into insanity (the kind that everyone else recognizes as well - babbling all the time, drool leaking from the corner of his mouth, etc. etc. etc.) and the Pasqualates taking him away to a nice, safe, quiet monastary somewhere... And then humanity's slow recovery from the predations of the Inquisition.
Post by McGuiness   » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:31 am

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Demons!” Clyntahn whispered hoarsely, raising his scepter between them. “Demons! Creatures of hell!

“Hell, Your Grace?” She laughed, and the sound was cold and cruel. “You don’t know the meaning of the word . . . yet.”

“Stay back!” he snapped.

“We have no intention of harming you in any way, Your Grace,” she told him. “None. As Merlin said, we’ve only come to enlighten you. You’ve talked a lot about your special relationship with Schueller and the archangels, so we thought you might like to meet them.”
Then Clyntahn's ex-mistress, who had been dead for an entire season, stepped out of the shower...

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:37 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

McGuiness wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Demons!” Clyntahn whispered hoarsely, raising his scepter between them. “Demons! Creatures of hell!

“Stay back!” he snapped.

Then Clyntahn's ex-mistress, who had been dead for an entire season, stepped out of the shower...

Somebody has no taste in television programs.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by CJRothy   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:00 am

CJRothy
Midshipman

I agree the holographic appearance of Merlin and companion are the most likely explanation for why they are not killing him. Another guess at the source of the holograms is that Owl finally managed to localize the Hamilcar, and accessed the Temple from it.

C'mon guys - we all suspected it was still there, parked in the system somewhere. That's how the original Sejins were educated for the war of the fallen, and that occurred after Alexandria.

Return to Safehold